Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-20-2005, 12:01   #1
flickman

Anybody own a Remington 673

I am looking to puchase this rifle in 300 SAUM. Wondering if anybody has experience with it.
flickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 14:13   #2
akbound

Hi flickman,

I've had a 673 since shortly after they came out. Mine is chambered for .350 Remington Magnum as opposed to the .300 SAUM. It shoots well, balances well, and in total I'm very satisfied with it.

Because of the manner in which the rear sight is attached on the rib I chose to mount a scope with a rather small objective (front) lens. I wanted to use rather short rings and still not have the rear sight interfere with the objective bell of the scope when mounted. You can mount a larger objective lens scope by using taller rings and/or remove the rear sight if you choose to.

I selected the Leupold Vari-X III 1.5x5x20 scope. The small size is perfect for this application and it has sufficient power for how I hunt with this rifle. Actually its wide field of view is more useful for me rather than having more magnification.

If I had the .300 SAUM I would of course select a scope with more magnification and use taller rings, (as well as likely remove the rear sights).

Good luck with your decision!

Dave

Last edited by akbound; 03-20-2005 at 15:18..
akbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 14:57   #3
flickman

Dave,

Thanks for the information. I am looking at the same Leuplod in a little higher magnification so that was very helpful. I was also looking at the Burris Short Mag scopes for this rifle.

Michael

Last edited by flickman; 03-20-2005 at 15:03..
Old 03-20-2005, 15:23   #4
akbound

Hi Michael,

I've had really good luck with Burris scopes as well. I've never owned or tried their Short Mag scopes but I have owned a number of their compact scopes; great performance out of a very small package.

If you get the 673 let us know how it works out for you!

Dave
Old 03-20-2005, 16:06   #5
flickman

I sure will akbound. Hey, any chance you live near Lake Wallenpaupack? I have been looking at property in the area for a summer/weekend place.
Old 03-20-2005, 17:07   #6
akbound

Hi flickman,

Actually I'm nearly at the opposite corner of the state, (the southwest), about thirty-five minutes from Pittsburgh or forty minutes from Nemacolin Woodlands.

Dave
Old 03-21-2005, 21:22   #7
StockGlock23
Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally posted by akbound
Hi flickman,

I've had a 673 since shortly after they came out. Mine is chambered for .350 Remington Magnum as opposed to the .300 SAUM.

What is the felt recoil like on the .350 Rem Mag? I have heard that it is somewhat punishing.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:24   #8
akbound

Quote:
Originally posted by StockGlock23
What is the felt recoil like on the .350 Rem Mag? I have heard that it is somewhat punishing.
Hi StockGlock23,

When shooting the 673 from a bench the .350RM recoil is on the sharp side though not punishing. Of course, once you are off the bench the perceived recoil seems less, (with the 200 grain factory loading I would compare the recoil to a heavy .30-06 load). You know you’re shooting a medium bore but it is not beyond the tolerance of an experienced rifleman I would think.

Hope that helps!

Dave