SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-21-2005, 23:21   #1
tgtshuter
Too Beaucoup

Activision Has Discriminatory CoD Survey

Had a situation come up that pi$$ed me off, and decided to tell what happened.

I received an email from Activision advertising a Call of Duty sweepstakes. It was sent to the email I used to register CoD.
In the email, I was asked to participate in a survey about future game development. I decided to be a "nice person" and do the survey...
I get to the 2nd question; "what is your age" and replied "50". After entering that answer, the reply was " thank-you but your further participation is not required". WTF?

After closing my email, I was able to reenter the survey. This time I entered "23 years", and got the next question , which was sex; M or F? I entered female (for the heck of it), and got the same "thank-you, but..." response! WTF again!!

So, I enter a 3rd time, as a 20 yr. old male, and guess what? I am continuing with the survey!
I guess I shouldn't have been surprised, but it made me angry. I'm sure 50 yr olds aren't their main customer demographic, but I've been playing computer and console games since the 80's.
Yeah, why would they want my opinion on game development? ;T

Anyway, it sems like bad business to me. This has soured me on their products.
tgtshuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 09:33   #2
Rasco
Swollen Member

Well, as long as the company continues to make games like Tony Hawk, Total War, and Call of Duty, they could crap on my head and I'd still play their games. I download them, so I don't spend money on them, or get the little survey forms.

Sorry to hear that, but they still publish and distibute a lot of my favorite games.
Rasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 15:24   #3
chevrofreak

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasco
Well, as long as the company continues to make games like Tony Hawk, Total War, and Call of Duty, they could crap on my head and I'd still play their games. I download them, so I don't spend money on them, or get the little survey forms.

Sorry to hear that, but they still publish and distibute a lot of my favorite games.

You might not want to mention illegal activities here.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 06:49   #4
Tvov

I think a lot of the gaming companies don't realize just how many of us "older" guys are playing games. I would have thought the survey would have used your answers, but just break down the results by age or gender or whatever if they wanted.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 09:41   #5
Rasco
Swollen Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chevrofreak
You might not want to mention illegal activities here.
Um, I know LEOs hang out here, but I didn't think police officers played much of a role in going after people who download things from the internet. More of a civil legal issue than a criminal issue, isn't it? More of a "I'm getting sued" thing than a "I'm getting arrested" thing, right?

Anyways, I'll try to refrain.
Rasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 13:42   #6
DesertEagle
CLM Number 57
OH HELL MY HEAD

Send a message via AIM to DesertEagle Send a message via Yahoo to DesertEagle
Should that really matter? I mean, you are STEALING from other people who have worked hard to produce something.

The only games that I download are ones that are no longer sold and have been abondoned by their publishers/developers, such as the ones found at Home of the Underdog, if it is a current game I purchase those games so that the companies know what kind of games I want them to make.

You are a disgrace.

Quote:
Um, I know LEOs hang out here, but I didn't think police officers played much of a role in going after people who download things from the internet. More of a civil legal issue than a criminal issue, isn't it? More of a "I'm getting sued" thing than a "I'm getting arrested" thing, right?

Bladerunner: #1208 - Forty Club: #1208 - HiPo Club - Niner's: #1208 - Rimfire: #69
DesertEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 13:51   #7
Tvov

I just wait 6 months or so after the games come out, when the stores cut their prices. Many times I can get them half price. I am always playing about a year behind everyone else, doesn't bother me.
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 16:19   #8
tgtshuter
Too Beaucoup

Quote:
Originally posted by Tvov
I think a lot of the gaming companies don't realize just how many of us "older" guys are playing games. I would have thought the survey would have used your answers, but just break down the results by age or gender or whatever if they wanted.
That's what I thought. It'd their survey and all, it just irked me that they are looking at such a narrow market. Seems like they'd be smarter than that...

anyway, it's not like they ripped me off. I love playing Call of Duty, and will no doubt put my "hurt feelings" aside when CoD 2 comes out. ;a
tgtshuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 17:53   #9
chevrofreak

Quote:

There are far more than LEO's that hang out here, I can guarantee that. There are some who would never reveal their occupations for legal reasons, and there are some who probably work for the software companies that make the games.
smoke free since 4:58AM July 29th 2002!

<-- currently 0 auction(s) running

The best IWB holster money can buy!
chevrofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 18:23   #10
PMY

"More of a civil legal issue than a criminal issue, isn't it?"

Lawyers might be hanging out here too...
PMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 05:07   #11
DigitalRaptor

That is not kosher at all Rasco. I used to develop games for PC and PS2 and there is nothing developers hate more than theives. Do you know how many hours developers have to put in to get a game finished? My average week was 60+ hours.

Publishers my make millions of dollars off of a title, but developers hardly see any royalties if any. Any theft hurts in a situation like that.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:25   #12
dwhite

ya i got their COD mailer as well
what a long survey that was lol

dwhite is offline   Reply With Quote