Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:01   #1
AntiOsama
Senior Member:)

Send a message via AIM to AntiOsama Send a message via Yahoo to AntiOsama
Should Semi Auto Be Aloud For Hunting

Im in school right now and my teacher said i needed to do something related to english. I had to pick something i knew alot about I picked guns. She said should semi auto be aloud for hunting i said ''yes becuase some people can't work the bolt lever pump what ever''. She said real hunters should know how to. So i want to know what you guys think because most of you go hunting. I assume.

Last edited by AntiOsama; 03-30-2005 at 10:19..
AntiOsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:30   #2
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
of course semi autos should be allowed for hunting
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:35   #3
noway

I'm confused, Who said they wheren't?

I've hunted with semi-auto shotguns,pistols and on a few occassion rifle. You get no real advantage unless youre bird hunting, since most animals don't stay around for a second, third or fourth shot,etc......
noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:38   #4
mudfootball

Send a message via AIM to mudfootball
Interesting question from a teacher, almost as if she has come upon the topic some where else. Here in PA its a no-no with rifles. And to be honest is the second shot any more accurate from a semi-than with a bolt. No Im not talking AR-15's with high caps, but hunting rifles. and besides with pumps and other manipulative actions i know some hunters that can really rattle off some rounds that from a distance you would swear it was semi fire. Now in the way of shotguns, i am the semi's biggest fan, its just more efficient, if i am in a pair of hunters and 4 geese come in i can bring four down before two of my buddies with pumps can get one and shuck the gun. Now there are some fast shuckers out there its just easier for me to not worry about the slide, for some reason knowing how easy that second shot is to have makes my first shot much more confident. (beretta 390 silver mallard)
One thing i have heard this topic in relation to is "if we don't need them for hunting why do we need semi-auto rilfes" for the record that was another college edjucated teacher
kt
mudfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:42   #5
CanadianGlockFan

Yes, they should be allowed, but these idiot "hunters" (read: sky-busters and sound-shooters) who try to use them to make up for accuracy need to be soundly beaten.
CanadianGlockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 11:46   #6
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally posted by CanadianGlockFan
Yes, they should be allowed, but these idiot "hunters" (read: sky-busters and sound-shooters) who try to use them to make up for accuracy need to be soundly beaten.
So true....
Old 03-24-2005, 12:07   #7
GUNZEALOT
Up all night

Semi-auto should be allowed. I can rack the slide of my pump almost as fast as my buddy shoots his semi-auto. I don't think speed should be taken into consideration. Plus we have a 3 round limit in the gun for waterfowl, so it's up to you how fast you shoot. Also there are bag limits so you can only shoot so many. I like my pump but I wish I had a semi auto for the simplicity.
Old 03-24-2005, 12:57   #8
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

I agree.... i can rack the slide on my Rem 870 12ga as fast as any semi auto gun (just because thats what I learned to shotgun with...) and can throw the bolt on my Rem 700 ALMOST as fast as a S.A. weapon.

What matters is HOW the gun is used, not what kind of gun it is.
Old 03-24-2005, 14:23   #9
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

If semi-autos canít be used for hunting anymore then I think itís only fair that SUVís canít be used on the roads anymoreÖ Iím not saying to ban SUVís all together Iím just saying that they can only be used in sanctioned off-road areas. ;f
Old 03-25-2005, 08:56   #10
ithaca_deerslayer

If this is an English assignment, then look at it from the perspective of writing and logic.

Ask the question, "why should not a semi-auto be allowed?" What are the detriments? Can you find any?

The semi offers a well aimed shot, just like a single shot action, and quick follow-up shots if needed. A semi can be just as accurate as the typical hunting single shot or bolt action. So, what is the difference? Shoot once and the animal goes down. If a follow up shot is needed, it may be delivered even quicker or more accurately than a single or bolt action, because you don't have to re-shoulder the gun.

The semi, because of the way the action works, may also dampen recoil some. This can help accuracy if it makes you less likely to flinch. And it can also help you use the right caliber for the job, because you won't be as worried about the recoil.

Do any of these semi-automatic rifle attributes really change the way you hunt? The biggest fear perhaps is that someone with a semi will just start shooting wildly with a "spray and pray" mentality. NY, however, limits the number of rounds a hunting rifle can hold to 6. Perhaps magazine capacity should be the concern for hunting, rather than the type of action. Either way, most responsible hunters will only shoot one well aimed shot at a time, and will not take more game than is allowed by law. The action of the rifle they use is irrelavant. Even a hunter with a single shot rifle can exceed the game limits for any day if they wish to. So, if something is already against the law there is no reason to make additional laws to prevent that behavior. Instead, existing laws could be enforced and the problem solved. Making laws against using semis for hunting would be more about irrational fears than legitimate concerns about hunting.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 03-25-2005 at 09:16..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 14:30   #11
AntiOsama

Im, 100% for hunting with semis i my self hunt with a bolt action on big game and use a small .22lr for small things since you don't want to rune the fur or what ever. If i went varmit hunting from long range i would use a ar-15 and thats semi. My english teach fells it's wrong to pump a deer full of lead and i agree. Some of you said it wont be around for the second shot i do think it will i have seen deer not even run after the first and just look at you. I am sure i can pump a 5 round plus 1 in the chamber into a deer before it takes 10 steps.
Old 03-25-2005, 14:54   #12
Michigun
Miss Michigan?

Send a message via AIM to Michigun Send a message via Yahoo to Michigun

Quote:
Originally posted by AntiOsama
Some of you said it wont be around for the second shot i do think it will i have seen deer not even run after the first and just look at you.
No offence meant by this, but you may be a little young to have enough experience with this... sure some deer may just hang around after the 1st missed shot, maybe even after the 2nd or 3rd miss, but most know enough to get the heck outta there after one round. I believe the latter is the norm.

(FYI, Iíve personally never seen one hang around after being hit eitherÖ except for the ones that go right down of course. )

Quote:
I am sure i can pump a 5 round plus 1 in the chamber into a deer before it takes 10 steps.
What are you shooting to do this? I ask because I certainly can't put out 6 rounds of 12-gauge sabots, with any kind of accuracy, that fast.
Old 03-25-2005, 15:26   #13
ithaca_deerslayer

I agree with michigun.

You fire one well aimed shot. The deer...
A. drops on the spot.
B. drops and gets back up.
C. runs off.
D. does not run.

D is likely a miss, and the rare instance where the deer does not run off. A good follow up shot is warranted (assuming the miss was a fluke).

C is common for a good fatal hit, and also for a miss. Either way, there is no reason to be shooting follow-up shots at the running deer. If it was a good hit, it will die within 100 yards. If it was a miss, you don't want to take risky running shots.

B allows you time to take a good follow up shot if you want to.
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 22:23   #14
wade farley
Sonic 357 sig

Re: Should Semi Auto Be Aloud For Hunting

Quote:
Im in school right now and my teacher said i needed to do something related to english. I had to pick something i knew alot about I picked guns. She said should semi auto be aloud for hunting i said ''yes becuase some people can't work the bolt lever pump what ever''. She said real hunters should know how to. So i want to know what you guys think because most of you go hunting. I assume.
I hope your English gets better! Remember, don't asume anything! Ass out of you,& Me! I hope you do well. No matter what happens, Have fun & stay safe!!;z ;f
Old 03-26-2005, 23:01   #15
liv2hunt

I would check up on AntiOsama's other posts before continuing to answer him/her. Just an FYI.
liv2hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 13:02   #16
AntiOsama

Quote:
Originally posted by Michigun
No offence meant by this, but you may be a little young to have enough experience with this... sure some deer may just hang around after the 1st missed shot, maybe even after the 2nd or 3rd miss, but most know enough to get the heck outta there after one round. I believe the latter is the norm.

(FYI, Iíve personally never seen one hang around after being hit eitherÖ except for the ones that go right down of course. )

What are you shooting to do this? I ask because I certainly can't put out 6 rounds of 12-gauge sabots, with any kind of accuracy, that fast.
For starters there are .22 magnum pump rifles and you can hunt deer with them in maine. I wouldn't but there are people that do.
Old 03-27-2005, 15:06   #17
wanderinwalker
6 of .44

Send a message via AIM to wanderinwalker
English teacher in Maine asking about whether or not semi-autos should be legal to hunt with? Oh yeah, I forgot that up there you had a lady came up with the money and now owns and has closed a large chunk of (former?) paper land to hunting. At least I think that is how that worked out. All I really remember was that she was praised as being some kind of environmental hero on the back page of Backpacker magazine.

Semi for hunting? Sure, why not?
Old 03-28-2005, 14:32   #18
BillK@tcmhmrs.o

I hunt squirrels with a semi-auto Ruger mark II handgun. There are lots of types of hunting and different calibers. There are some nice semi-auto centerfire rifles out there as well. The Remington model 7400 in .308 and .30-'06 come to mind. Use of semiautos depends on local regulations that are formulated by lawmakers and some locales have input from special interest groups such as NRA etc, but not all areas. There is nothing intrinsicly 'wrong' or unsportsmanship about semiautomatic rifles or handguns used in hunting. It simply is the method by which a bullet is introduced into a chamber for use. I wouldn't guess what agenda if any your teacher may have in having you pose the question. She might just want you to list and compare the pros and cons of bolt-action vs semiauto hunting arms, the differences in safety needs, ammo selection, permissability of use in various regions and maybe the historical evolution of different types of firearms. You have a thesis, just flesh it out with examples and data!
BillK@tcmhmrs.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:17   #19
AntiOsama

Assume is spelt Assume becuase my english teacher said so. She said remeber it like Assume makes a Ass u me or it makes a ass out of you and me or something like that so it is assume you ****in ******* red neck.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:11   #20
Hoingshiba
willhunt4food

First off, a gun forum is not the right place to pull the redneck card, since the majority of us already fit in there anyhow. Second, if you are going to get defensive about your grammar, make sure that you are grammatically correct in doing so. For example...
"makes a Ass" would actually need to be changed to "makes an ass."
Also, the second sentence of your last post is a run on with very poor construction and organization. Remember, if you can't take it you shouldn't dish it out.
Sincerely, from one redneck to some sniveling New England schoolboy...GIT-R-DONE!!!
Hoingshiba is offline   Reply With Quote