SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 12-02-2004, 20:36   #1
Douglas in CT

ARECC Level III

Hi gang!
I am pleased to report that I finished all the "activity" homework for the Amateur Radio Emergency Communciations Course (ARECC) Level III, and got all that off to my "mentor" at 9:05pm (Eastern). The deadline is tomorrow.

The online Final Test was a breeze! (Did that 4 weeks ago)

While some of the Learning Unit Activities were just a royal PITA, others were mind expanding exercises.;P

Now, I need a beer!;c

Be the good Boy Scout...BE PREPARED!
Douglas in CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 06:40   #2
Douglas in CT

FYI:

LINK

ARRL Certification and Continuing Education Course Listing

How it Works
All courses are provided online.
- This means that students log on to the course via the Internet. Classes are accessible seven days a week, 24 hours a day. Courses are typically presented in 10 to 20 "Learning Units". Students read information on a topic, then a review. Most learning units also have activities that students will do offline to experience some aspect of the topic. A quiz made up of five multiple-choice questions concludes each unit. At the end of the course a 25 question online final assessment is taken. Students work at their own pace and convenience; however all work must be completed during the class period. The average student will spend 20 to 25 hours over the 8-week period working on a typical course. Antenna modeling is a 16-week course that takes about 50 hours to complete. Graphics, photos, audio clips, and movie clips are used throughout our courses to help illustrate specific points. Internet links to additional sources of information and related materials, e.g. downloadable software, are also commonly used. Each student is assigned to a volunteer mentor.

Mentors are very dedicated hams that have taken the course they mentor and additional mentor training, and are usually very experienced in their topic. Some mentors were contributors to the development of their course(s). Volunteer mentors are key to the success of the CCE program. They review and comment on the results of student activities, and are there to help their students when needed. They also keep track of their students' progress. Mentor -- student interaction is normally by email, but telephone contacts are also made when necessary. A student must pass the final assessment with a grade of at least 80%, and complete activities to the satisfaction of their mentor to achieve certification.

Students have the option of printing the information pages and reading them offline. The emergency communications and antenna modeling courses also have printed, bound course books available as an option and for additional cost.

Registration Methods

On-line courses open regularly each month, with registration available on the Web.

Level 1 Amateur Radio Emergency Communications
EC-001
Senior Hams are encouraged to participate!

Description:
Introduction to Amateur Radio Emergency Communications.
- A basic course to raise awareness and provide additional knowledge and tools for any emergency communications volunteer. This course has 23 lesson units, is expected to take approximately 25 hours to complete over an 8-week period, and earns 1.5 CEUs. See course Syllabus. Required Student Activities.

Prerequisites:
Amateur Radio license

Availability:
Registration for this course (EC-001) generally opens on the first Monday of each month at 12:01 AM Eastern Time, and closes at midnight on the following Sunday. However, grant-funded classes may open at other times. Watch the ARRL Web for updates.

Additional Info:
Each lesson consists of text, quiz questions, and Student Activities, which are required for successful completion. Every student is assigned a mentor/instructor to review their student activities and guide them through the course.

This course is a prerequisite to Level II, EC-002 and Level III, EC-003, Amateur Radio Emergency Communications courses. Basic computer, Internet, and email navigational skills are required.

Optional Reference Material:
Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Course, Level I, $12.95. ARRL Order No. 8462.

Fees:
Member: $45 Non-member: $75

Level 2 Amateur Radio Emergency Communications
EC-002

Description:
Intermediate Amateur Radio Emergency Communications.
- A more in-depth study into amateur radio emergency communications to enhance the skills and knowledge received from previous experience. Level I ARECC is required prior to taking Level II. This course has 20 lesson units, is expected to take approximately 25 hours to complete over an 8-week period, and earns 1.5 CEUs. See course Syllabus. Required Student Activities.

Prerequisites:
EC-001, Level I ARECC.

Availability:
Registration for this course (EC-002) opens on the second Monday of each month at 12:01 AM Eastern Time, and closes at midnight on the following Sunday.

Additional Info:
This course is a prerequisite to Level III, EC-003, Amateur Radio Emergency Communications course. Basic computer, Internet, and email navigational skills are required.

Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Course, Level II, $12.95. ARRL Order No. 8519.

Fees:

Level 3 Amateur Radio Emergency Communications
EC-003

Description:
Advanced Amateur Radio Emergency Communications.
- This is the third and final stage of the planned 3-level ARRL Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Courses. This course is designed to bridge the gap between basic participation and leadership. Both Level I and Level II certifications are required prior to taking this course. This course has 23 lesson units, is expected to take approximately 25 hours to complete over an 8-week period, and earns 1.5 CEUs. See course Syllabus. Required Student Activities.

Prerequisites:
Level I (EC-001), and Level II (EC-002) ARECC.

Availability:
Registration for this course (EC-003) opens on the third Monday of each month at 12:01 AM Eastern Time, and closes at midnight on the following Sunday.

Additional Info:
Basic computer, Internet, and email navigational skills are required.

Amateur Radio Emergency Communications Course, Level III, $12.95. ARRL Order No. 8594.

Fees:

Old 12-04-2004, 18:12   #3
BrianDamage
YouTalkin'ToMe?

Send a message via Yahoo to BrianDamage

cool

so you have to do these course in order to help out in an emergency or no ?
BrianDamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 14:16   #4
Douglas in CT

No, but the ARRL is making a big push to encourage hams to enroll in these Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES)courses. This is so that more hame will be better prepared, better trained, and therefore more effective when the time comes to respond to an incident.

For example, with all three courses under my belt I could, RIGHT NOW,easily take on the leadership roles of:
- ARES Emergency Coordinator(EC) - a local position
or
- ARES District Emergency Coordinator (DEC) for my area - CT State Office of Emergency Management Area 2.
OEM Area 2 - South/Central CT comprising 24 towns from Milford to Old Saybrook on the coast, and reaching up to Middletown and Meriden in the North.

Other CT ARES Section leadership slots would require some grooming & ramp up time for me.

Last edited by Douglas in CT; 12-05-2004 at 14:31..
Old 04-25-2005, 15:22   #5
EUPHER49

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianDamage
cool

so you have to do these course in order to help out in an emergency or no ?
In our County RACES we are required to complete all three levels in order to stay active. I think the EC will be happy with just completing Level I...

I finished EMCOMM III about a month ago...signed, sealed, delivered, and duly rebated!!! All three courses didn't cost me a cent! There is talk that the money from the League is going to run out, then they'll be $45 per level.

-- E. F. Nine
EUPHER49 is offline   Reply With Quote