SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-28-2005, 20:07   #1
ManInCamo
Random USAF guy

Any USAF Comm officers?

What does your job really entail on a daily basis?
ManInCamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:27   #2
RussP

I'm not a USAF Officer, but may I ask, are you asking what a communications officer does, or what a commissioned officer does?

If it is related to Comm-Info, then this site might help http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/com-comp/comm-links.htm

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 11:34   #3
ManInCamo
Random USAF guy

I'll be commissioning in December, I want to know what a communications officer does on a daily basis. How often are you deployed? Where? how long?

Thank you for that link.
Old 03-29-2005, 14:52   #4
RussP

Congratulations, Sir...

Are you Academy?

I was a combat documentary photographer in the Vietnam era. The Comm officers I worked with had just about every duty station where there was an Air Force presence. Can't help you with present day duty, but we had some real fun back then.;f ;f

Old 03-29-2005, 22:31   #5
ManInCamo
Random USAF guy

Thank you

No, I'm not Academy. I'm an AF ROTC cadet - completed cadet in about 45 days. I'm just trying to finish up school so I can pin on my bars and do something other than study books.

My father was USAFA, and I have 2 friends there right now. I also have friend who graduated from USAFA - took his commission in the Marines. He just got back from a year service in Iraq. From what I hear I have the best of both worlds - I get my gold bars, and I get a real life while at school.

I'm filling out all my paperwork right now for what job I would like. My major is Information Systems, so I was looking at Comm, and Intel. I also have a bid in for pilot.

I'm looking forward to everything except 3-4 month deployments - which from what I hear are starting to be the norm these days for AF personnell.

Did they give you a gun along with your camera back then? I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in a combat zone with just a camera. I'm sure you have some great and not so great stories from you time.

Thank you for your service.;?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:11   #6
RussP

Quote:
Originally posted by ManInCamo
Thank you
Did they give you a gun along with your camera back then? I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in a combat zone with just a camera. I'm sure you have some great and not so great stories from you time.

Thank you for your service.;?
I think you'll like your choice to go Air Force. As has been said many times on this forum, it takes the entire military to wage and win a war. Just have to keep the freaking polititions out of the picture.

Well, way back then I was issued a S&W .38 revolver. I did FAC/recon, so when we needed to shoot something, we called in fighter bombers and put a real big hurt on the BGs. While the images from the F-4 recon birds was useful, there was nothing like getting down real low and peaking under the trees.

Ocassionally I would take along an M-16 and helmet bag full of ammo, but only if we were going into a certain area with a heavy concentration of AAA.

I understand your feelings about 3-4 month TDYs. Before and after SEA, I was on photo teams that responded to "events" requiring documentation. In other words, if the SHTF, one of our teams went to cover it.

Gotta get to work...

Take care...

Old 03-31-2005, 14:47   #7
WIG19
Light left on

Quote:
Originally posted by RussP
Just have to keep the freaking polititions out of the picture.
Russ, if they'd listened to you in early '02, our Spec Ops (and I include the AF cbt controllers in there) would've already delivered bin Laden's head on a stick.
;?
Old 03-31-2005, 18:55   #8
RussP

Quote:
Originally posted by WIG19
Russ, if they'd listened to you in early '02, our Spec Ops (and I include the AF cbt controllers in there) would've already delivered bin Laden's head on a stick.
;?
Yes... 'nuf said...

Not really, the teams available to go in and do that job were trained, committed and able to accomplish that plus more, if asked.