Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-02-2014, 20:19   #1
Mr. Blandings

California Water Shortage

Interesting times on the horizon as California faces record drought. Yeah, this could be serious:
"Never before in the 54-year history of the State Water Project has DWR announced a zero allocation to all 29 public water agencies that buy from the SWP. These deliveries help supply water to 25 million Californians and roughly 750,000 acres of irrigated farmland."
http://www.news10.net/story/news/201...-zero/5084783/
Old 02-03-2014, 06:12   #2
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

rut row...lol
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
First President of the United States
actionshooter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:38   #3
walt cowan

gonna dry up and blow away like dog poo on a hot august day. sucks to be them.
Old 02-03-2014, 10:26   #4
Aceman

One word: Permaculture.

The REAL question here, IMO, is just how did this shortage of water occur?

- Too little water?
- Too many people?
- Too much dependence on insufficient source of water for the population?

What is the learning point here?

Last edited by Aceman; 02-03-2014 at 10:26..
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:46   #5
kirgi08
Silver Membership
Watcher.

Rain harvesting.'08.

If you look like food,You will be eaten.

Rip Chad.You will be missed.
kirgi08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:34   #6
quake

Is large-scale desalinization not an option?

[edit - I forgot; they're broke. Plenty of money to subsidize medical insurance for smugglers, but none for water for their citizens. Good leadership there.]

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...

Last edited by quake; 02-03-2014 at 11:37..
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:42   #7
Tvov

One interesting aspect of all that is happening there is Las Vegas... which gets its water from the same sources. Supposedly, Las Vegas recycles over 90% of its water, especially with all the decorative fountains. The seems pretty good to me if it is true.

Well, on skimming the internet, I can't really find any definite numbers, but this link is one example:

http://www.snwa.com/ws/reclaimed.html

Another site said that Las Vegas actually recycles 100% of their water, except for water loss due to the hot dry environment.

I'm not angry, I'm just loud. - Friend's son.

Last edited by Tvov; 02-03-2014 at 11:48..
Tvov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:51   #8
HarlDane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
The REAL question here, IMO, is just how did this shortage of water occur?

- Too little water?
- Too many people?
- Too much dependence on insufficient source of water for the population?

What is the learning point here?
The problem is environmentalists blocking any increase in water storage so we can hold water from wet years like we had in 2011 and insisting that we allow fresh water to flow out to sea instead of diverting it to agricultural uses so we can re-establish salmon runs that disappeared more than 50 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post
Is large-scale desalinization not an option?
Not really, desalinization won't work for inland agriculture that uses 80% of our water. Even if we could get 100% of the coastal population using desalinated water, it would only free up ~5% of our water supply.
HarlDane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:32   #9
Big1

Yeah, it will be very interesting come summer.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 16:59   #10
racerford

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt cowan View Post
I am not a big fan of California and it's politics. However, I do have a great deal of sympathy for the millions of people that are affected by the bad decisions of their government and it water management policies.

Yes, they voted for their government, but clearly not all of them. Also, a lot of those decisions are bureaucratic in nature.

I am not callous to their suffering.

Perhaps they will elect different people in the future. I suspect to solve the problem they will have to take steps that will not be popular or cheap.
racerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 17:55   #11
Aceman

China will own California sooner or later. Probably sooner. They'll run it better.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:57   #12
AZson

Time for some desalination plants cause they aint getting any of ours.
Old 02-05-2014, 18:09   #13
nmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by walt cowan View Post
You don't think this will affect you?
nmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 18:21   #14
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerford View Post
I am not a big fan of California and it's politics. However, I do have a great deal of sympathy for the millions of people that are affected by the bad decisions of their government and it water management policies.

Yes, they voted for their government, but clearly not all of them. Also, a lot of those decisions are bureaucratic in nature.

I am not callous to their suffering.

Perhaps they will elect different people in the future. I suspect to solve the problem they will have to take steps that will not be popular or cheap.
This might make me an a**hole, but those people make a conscious choice, everyday, to stay there.

If Texas ever got to that point, and there was a better place to live, I'd move.

I have sympathy for people affected by things outside of their control, not for people that have the power to change their circumstances and don't.
"Firearms stand next in importance to the constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence from the hour the Pilgrims landed to the present day, events, occurences and tendencies prove that to ensure peace security and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable the very atmosphere of firearms anywhere restrains evil interference they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
George Washington
Old 02-05-2014, 18:31   #15
Aceman

Nope, Action, you are all good. Some people do things, others just complain. I don't know how many people I say "Beauty of a free Republic" you can live wherever you want.

And politicians are not capable of doing difficult OR unpopular things anymore. I'm a consultant - I get paid to tell people "You waited too long, you wasted too much, you didn't spend enough up front" And they have to pay me to tell them that!

Last edited by Aceman; 02-05-2014 at 18:31..
Old 02-05-2014, 18:31   #16
Aceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmk View Post
You don't think this will affect you?
Yes it will. In 13 bad ways and 37 good ones.
Old 02-05-2014, 18:33   #17
Aceman

By the way - how many times have you said "The reason there are starving people in Somalia is BECAUSE IT'S A FREAKING DESERT!!!!!!!"

Yes, California has a great climate. In some respects. Is it a bread basket? No....
Old 02-05-2014, 18:34   #18
Deltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
China will own California sooner or later. Probably sooner. They'll run it better.
I think China is a train wreck in slow motion. I predict it will get worse in the next 20 years.
Deltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 18:40   #19
Wake_jumper

CA uses untold amounts of water just to keep decorative plantings green and beautiful. Here is a suggestion for them, stop watering the darn plants! Yes, they will die and the whole place will look like a desert... but IT IS a desert.

I was in CA over the holidays and stayed in a couple of the nicer hotels. I thought it was interesting that the shower heads were the old fashioned maximum flow variety. They were great! but wow, talk about using a lot of water. Heck, I don't have shower heads like that in my own house.
Wake_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 18:43   #20
Deltic

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionshooter10 View Post
This might make me an a**hole, but those people make a conscious choice, everyday, to stay there.

If Texas ever got to that point, and there was a better place to live, I'd move.

I have sympathy for people affected by things outside of their control, not for people that have the power to change their circumstances and don't.
People tend to live where the jobs are and you can't just move all those farms and ports.
Deltic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 18:55   #21
actionshooter10
CLM Number 19
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltic View Post
People tend to live where the jobs are and you can't just move all those farms and ports.
This is an excuse.

There are other jobs in other places.
George Washington
Old 02-05-2014, 20:29   #22
Rudy5point0

Send a message via AIM to Rudy5point0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZson View Post
Time for some desalination plants cause they aint getting any of ours.
"Mr. President, we must not allow a desalinization plant gap!"
Rudy5point0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 22:56   #23
Paul53
Geezer Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy5point0 View Post
"Mr. President, we must not allow a desalinization plant gap!"

There's no drinking in the water room! LOL

Let's see, Kalifornia is bordered by Mexico, AZ, NV, OR, and has a 840 mile coastline on the Pacific Ocean. There must be SOMEWHERE they can find water!

Last edited by Paul53; 02-05-2014 at 22:56..
Paul53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 00:49   #24
smokeross
GTDS Member #49

Wonder what a bottle of water will be going for this summer.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:33   #25
bdcochran

There were some thoughtful questions and then the usual "screw them" type comments.

1. originally, more water was promised years ago than there would be available to distribute;
2. the population centers grew up away from many water sources;
3. when there was less than perfect knowledge about contamination of ground water sources, ground water was contaminated;
4. although the state has become more urbanized, the allocation of water resources between rural agricultural and urban has not changed as fast.
5. too many people think that you can "save" water by damming it up for the next year. They have never heard of the concept of evaporation.

Water rates for agricultural usage are lower than for urban usage. Of course, most people don't know that. I enjoyed the San Fernando Valley section of Los Angeles when I was a kid. Wheat fields, olive groves, orange groves and we had a rural water rate and sold oranges. Today, it is apartments, light industrial, welfare offices and those people pay high urban rates. Not everyone has a garden and a front lawn. Some day fly into LA from another part of the country and from the air it is NOT green, it is brown.

The litigations over water rights go on for decades. It is a lot simpler to make comments about pinkos, environmental wackos and dummies.

Ground water contamination. It costs a minimum of $1 million per gas station location to do an underground cleanup and even then you cannot be sure that you have cleaned the soil. $1 million. Even then, people like Boeing paid the City of Santa Monica $40 million on a contamination claim - and it wasn't for a gas station.

The water shortage can be ended in a number of ways:

1. remove people;
2. forbid the usage of water in raising cotton and in agriculture. (Then the word snipers from other states can pay more for everything they eat and wear).
3. immediately forbid the drinking of water in private and public places and substitute beer.
4. ban showers. (I liked it when the mayor asked people not to flush the toilet after a pee - then we all had an excuse when presented with an accusation!)
bdcochran is offline   Reply With Quote