Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:00   #1
Deputydave

Water storage in a GHB?

Okay, lot of talk lately on storing water. I want to specifically take a look at keeping it in a vehicle in the GHB (or box or pack or kit or whatever).

Personally, I don't think it is the best idea to store plastic gallon water jugs for an extended period of time, nor the water bottles. Now to be clear, any port in a storm so to speak. But generally speaking, I do feel that leaching, particularly in plastic of this type isn't the best option.

That brings me to metal and a question/thought. Speaking of the warmer/hotter climates (such as Florida in the summer), the interior of the vehicle gets pretty toasty. However, I'm thinking that perhaps this isn't a bad thing as far as storing water in a metal container. Here are my thoughts about this; water can be disinfected of course by boiling. Now a car, even in Florida doesn't get quite that hot. However, water can be disinfected by pasturization i.e. bringing it to 140-160 for a prolonged period of time. I'm thinking that this would basically be disinfecting the water on a daily basis. And should be fine to drink. Now, I'm not talking storing it for the next 20 years of course. And one could dump it and put fresh on a monthly, bi-monthly or perhaps every 6 months and be fine...I would think.

And in my EDC I would have a life straw anyway. And again, we're talking an emergency situation in which one would have 'some' water and a metal container in which to gather more when available.

Thoughts on this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:29   #2
Deputydave

Update:

Talked with my wife about this after I posted the thread. She suggested using some large pickle jars she's had in the garage for probably years. Got them out and washed them. No smell. I'll put a bit of plastic over the top when I screw the top on to give a better seal. I have rubbermade bins in the vehicles so they can be safely stored without rolling around. That would be quite a bit of water in an emergency. I'd estimate perhaps a half gallon and it can be used to collect additional water. Further disinfection can be with bleach, iodine, boiling or life straw. After they dry I'll figure out just how much water they hold.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:47   #3
Aceman

What about 1L soda bottles? Those are excellent IMO, compared to say a gallon jug.
Aceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:52   #4
Diesel_Bomber

I keep a case of bottled water in the trucks. Normal use keeps it rotated.

Diesel_Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:55   #5
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Bomber View Post
I keep a case of bottled water in the trucks. Normal use keeps it rotated.
Same here

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:08   #6
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputydave View Post
Okay, lot of talk lately on storing water. I want to specifically take a look at keeping it in a vehicle in the GHB (or box or pack or kit or whatever).

Thoughts on this?

Keeping water in sealed bottles in a separate waterproof container/dry bag out of direct sunlight/high temperatures, rotating approximately every 6 months & using the bottles to refill large hydration bladders in packs have worked for us since the 1990s.

Adding "Ultima Replinisher", "Emergen-C" or a similar energy, electrolyte powder mix to the water has worked well for us also.

Frequent small sips allows for steady rehydration (without the rollercoaster of overhydration & underhydration of bottles & canteens) that keeps our energy level high combined with a minimum of urination breaks.

We also use insulated bite valves, hoses & bladders..makes a major difference in liquid temperature & best to keep bladders out of direct sunlight.

Keep Katadyn Pocket Filters in select packs.....with backfill attachments for bladders. Prefilters for the heads also.....and inline refillable Carbon Filters also
YMMV

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 04-27-2014 at 11:15..
LongGun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:47   #7
Chindo18Z

I keep several containers in my vehicle.

Kept full:
A 2.5 gallon plastic water jug (inside a plastic milk crate for protection)
A 2 qt all-steel thermos bottle (kept inside passenger compartment)
A USGI 2 qt canteen w/ carrier and strap (also kept inside milk crate)
1 liter aluminum canteens x 2 (external side pouches of GHB pack)

Kept empty:
3 liter GHB hydration bladder
7 gallon Aquatainer

I change out the water annually. The containers go through numerous freeze/thaw cycles during winter; no problem. I leave about 20% empty space in each container to account for ice expansion during single digit & sub-zero temps. I don't recall ever finding the thermos frozen through. That setup (minus the newer Aquatainer) has survived through a decade of winters inside of different vehicles.

I probably need to just let an Aquatainer freeze solid and see how it holds up. My Scepter military 5 gallon water cans can handle expansion at freezing temps. I just keep the 7 gallon container for reserve H2O capacity, but store it empty to avoid having that weight slinging around in the trunk where it might get punctured or develop a leak.

Last edited by Chindo18Z; 04-27-2014 at 11:48..
Chindo18Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:45   #8
Deputydave

Appreciate all the replies so far. Measured the jars, they're 2qts each so that is one in each vehicle. Additionally, the 32oz Pathfinder SS bottle and nesting cup was filled up as well, one in each vehicle. That's about 3/4 of a gallon. That would be in addition to what is brought along. In the summer it is SOP to bring a water bottle anywhere you go in the Florida heat.

This is for around town travel where water is plentiful. If going out of town I would have extra.

LG1 makes a good point on powdered additives. I regularly add EmergenCy/Ionic Fizz/Ribose to my drinks. Good for the heart and good electrolyte replacement which is a huge deal in the summer. I also have stores of powdered Gatoraide which I got on sale at BJ's Wholesale warehouse. That is excellent for replacing the sodium/electrolytes. I'm going to have to put some in each vehicle. Good call.

Old 04-27-2014, 23:08   #9
collim1
Shower Time!

I keep it simple. Case of water bottles under the backseat in the truck. Used as needed, not just for emergencies, and also thrown in the cooler with ice whenever I launch the boat. Replaced as used, but I always have at least 12 bottles in the car. Plus, I never leave the house without a 1L Nalgene bottle full of cold water and refill it often throughout the day. Being hydrated at the beginning of an incident is a big help if an emergency or even a inconvenience occurs.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:13   #10
Deputydave

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
I keep it simple. Case of water bottles under the backseat in the truck. Used as needed, not just for emergencies, and also thrown in the cooler with ice whenever I launch the boat. Replaced as used, but I always have at least 12 bottles in the car. Plus, I never leave the house without a 1L Nalgene bottle full of cold water and refill it often throughout the day. Being hydrated at the beginning of an incident is a big help if an emergency or even a inconvenience occurs.
Just talking to someone on PM about this. Cooler is a great idea, particularly in warmer climates. We use one in the family van. Holds the prep water supply as well as perishable groceries when out shopping.