SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2005, 21:45   #1
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

Anybody have a Chevy Cobalt or Mazda 3?

I don't know anything about these two but I'm in the market for a small 4-cylinder sedan. I have a 72 Chevelle and a 87 Silverado 4x4 and they get about 10 mpg. The truck will be paid off in a couple months and I think it's time to buy something that gets 30 mpg, has A/C, and that I don't have to work on.

Cavaliers aren't comfortable to me.
Honda Civics are great, but I'm exploring all my options.
I don't care what Ford or Dodge have.

The Cobalts and the Mazda 3s are new to me though and I really like the looks of both. Anybody have one? What's the good and bad? I'm gonna try to pick up a new car shopper kinda mag tomorrow and do some test drives this weekend.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:13   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Ford Focus and Dodge Neon are the two compact cars for those respective companies.

I drove a Mazda 3 last year during a test drive to help out a girlfriend who was interested in one. It wasn't bad of a vehicle as far as handling goes. The funky dash is attractive in that new wave kind of way. I heard that Mazda quality isn't like it used to be thanks to Ford ownership but I have no first hand knowledge. The last Mazda I owned was a 1989 Ford Probe and it served me admirably (though fit and finish sure weren't up to Japan Big Three standards).
Old 04-06-2005, 09:15   #3
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

of the two I'd take the mazda. decent aftermarket if you like to tinker, and I'd estimate the reliability will be better, but I have no basis on which i make this claim;K
Old 04-07-2005, 19:16   #4
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

I'm gonna try to go take some test drives this weekend. If it rains I'll put it off though.
|
Kevin108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:50   #5
michael t

Go buy a new GTO 28 hi-way and about 20 town and 400hp and 6 speed a whole lot more fun than those cracker boxes.

michael t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 16:43   #6
svendolsen

I got a Mazda3 hatchback a month ago, I like it a lot. The gas mileage seems to be on the low end of the EPA estimate, but that could be because I enjoy flooring it and feeling the acceleration. I got the manual transmission with ABS package.

Not as nice as my brothers Subaru WRX, but much cheaper.

There are some informative reviews at http://www.epinions.com
svendolsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:44   #7
chris93473

honestly i kinda like the new supercharged Cobalt. its faster then the three and the fit and finish of the Cobalt is really improved over the cavalier. But i don't know about the long term reliability of the car. The Mazda3 is also a good car but whats scaring me is what people are saying about it's long term dependability.

You mentioned about the Honda Civic. did you see the next generation Civic SI it looks a lot better than the current one and it's supposed to have 200hp.

Alternatives Toyota Corolla XRS (170hp), Dodge Neon SRT-4 (230hp)
Old 04-21-2005, 17:59   #8
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Check out the Scion TC. It's a Toyota so it is most definately reliable. It has the Camry 2.4l I-4 in it. Makes about 160hp with lots of torque for a 4 banger. My friend is about to get one (after he gets his house buying thing out of the way ;f). He test drove it and fell in love. Oh, yeah a magazine I read said it was only .1 of a sec off a Lexus IS300 through the quarter.

All for only 16 grand.

epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 11:20   #9
dano1427

Mazda makes good cars.

GM recalls more cars than it sells. Wouldn't even consider a GM vehicle, at this point.

-dan
dano1427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 17:39   #10
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by dano1427
Mazda makes good cars.

GM recalls more cars than it sells. Wouldn't even consider a GM vehicle, at this point.

-dan
I am about to give up on American cars period (there goes Mazda, being owned by Ford).

VWs (older VWs) and Toyotas only, if I had to buy a car right now.

epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote