Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:38   #1
solie

Send a message via AIM to solie
Write left handed, left eye dominent, but shoot right handed

Is anyone else like this?

I eat and write left handed, but I play all of my sports right handed. I shoot pistols with my right hand but I shoot rifles left handed due to the fact that I am left eye dominent.

Anyone else have this problem?

It can get aggrevating
solie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 19:57   #2
OSSI
CLM Number 128
Litter Kitty

I'm a 100% lefty, I couldn't hit a nail with a hammer with my right hand. Using scissors I do it with my right hand, couldn't do it with the left, because when I was young there where no lefthanded scissors.
I have no dominat eye.
I shoot handguns lefthanded with left eye, but I shoot rifles righthanded with right eye. Again because when I had my first experience with rifles, they all where right handed.
Old 04-06-2005, 21:05   #3
spin180

Quote:
Originally posted by OSSI
I shoot handguns lefthanded with left eye, but I shoot rifles righthanded with right eye.
I do exactly the same... ;g ;f

solie,

Shooting righty longguns and lefty handguns has never really bothered me. I started out shooting both right handed, but eventually changed.

Have you tried shooting handguns with your left hand much? Maybe you can convert to the way of the righteous... or lefteous, as it were. ;e ;f
spin180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 17:29   #4
DAVEKO
Deceased

Yes, I am ambi. also left eye dom. and left handed, if you take approx 30 minutes to switch to the left hand for shooting you will not be sorry. It really does improve accuracy due to the left eye, and left hand combo........dave.......
.40 S&W Club #12
Big Dawg #931
Wheelhouse #431
DAVEKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 20:11   #5
chilipowder

wow a thread for lefties...

heres my case:

i shoot pistols left handed w/ left eye...but more comfortable w/ rifles right handed w/ right eye...

writes w/ the right, but had to handle scissors w/ the left
chilipowder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 16:52   #6
6lock3d

I am like that- golf, baseball bats, tennis raqs. etc with the right. BUT- I have to shoot left handed.
Old 04-17-2005, 17:22   #7
mud390
That Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to mud390
I'm left eye dominante, and used to shoot long guns righty, but pistols lefty. It was a little uncomfortable, but I did alright and the guns are cheaper. I taught myself to shoot lefty with long guns and I do much better in all positions (standing, kneeling, prone) and I am much more comfortable. Just take a day at the range and try shooting lefty all day and see how you do. After time it will come natural. I can still shoot right, but not near as accurate anymore.

Kris
Old 04-19-2005, 15:05   #8
old_ironsights

If you are left-handed and have a dominant left eye, you are blessed! Practice left-handed, shoot left-handed and it will quicky become natural to you.

The reason that most of us lefties do things right-handed is because we were taught by right-handers, or simply because there isn't a left-handed option. I think that the Marines borrowed their "adapt and overcome" attitude from us lefties!

I learned to shoot rifles right-handed, because I am right-eye dominant, and 99.9% (my own statistic) of rifles are manufactured for right-handers. And, the M-14 puts hot brass down the neck of left-handed shooters. Also, in the Army, I was taught to shoot my .45 right-handed, and there were only right-handed holsters. My right-eye dominance helped there, too.

With a little time...and ammo...to spare at qualification, my DI said he was taking all the credit when I qualified "expert" right-handed AND left-handed.
Old 05-05-2005, 15:46   #9
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Re: Write left handed, left eye dominent, but shoot right handed

Quote:
Originally posted by solie
Is anyone else like this?

I eat and write left handed, but I play all of my sports right handed. I shoot pistols with my right hand but I shoot rifles left handed due to the fact that I am left eye dominent.

Anyone else have this problem?

It can get aggrevating
That's exactly the way I am. I don't see it as a problem though. I'm just used to it I guess.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:14   #10
royal glockster

i am right handed but left eye dominant. At first, I find it hard to hit the target. Somebody told me not to close my right eye when aiming, instead he told me to open both eyes then frown, have a tiger look as if both eyebrows meet. I can now see the front sight well and now able to hit the target accurately. But when it comes to rifle, I'm a lefty since i have to peek at the sight using my left eye. I'm used to that. Right handed to pistols and left handed to rifles. Someday I try to train my left hand regularly on pistols.
BOG #4540
"PERCEPTION DIFFERS FROM REALITY"
royal glockster is offline   Reply With Quote