Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-07-2005, 19:46   #1
BlackBelt

Traps-time well spent?

Since we have the new forum, let me ask some of you guys a minor question that's been in the back of my mind for years now.
I studied JKD concepts for years at different schools. During this training, we followed the formula of training 90% of the time in trapping drills. These drills (hubud/bubud) seem to be incorporated in every JKD concept course that I've ever seen. Even though Bruce Lee, as well as his best students have all said that trapping will only make up, at most, 5% of any altercation. From my past experience working club security/bouncer jobs, and working with law-enforcement, as well as growing up in a tough neighborhood--in all that time, I've used a trap MAYBE once, and it was incidental if not accidental during the flow of events. Now I know that's just my experience, but I've seen lot's of fights/encounters and not once has anyone needed a trap to get past an obstacle, or tie up anyones hands. They simply worked (punched) around it or worked through it. Why then would one spend that much time training 'trapping' for empty-hand combat? Seems like that time would have been better spent teaching the elements of the 95% of the time that the fight was not spent in trapping.
I DO GREATLY value the use of trapping in weapons combat, and teach it for use against the blade and gun, but for empty hands vs. empty hands?
Has anyone here used a trap, on purpose, in an altercation?
BlackBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 20:31   #2
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
The Martial Arts Forum

Scotty no.

Of course, I grapple, so I get in the clinch. If it works, use it, but from what you say, it doesn't, so

The Martial Arts Forum

Don't?

(Do not ask why, even I am not sure)

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 22:12   #3
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Send a message via AIM to Roundeyesamurai Send a message via Yahoo to Roundeyesamurai
The imperative, is to train for a weapon-oriented environment. I don't believe it is fruitful to train as though you're not going to encounter weapons the majority of the time.

Hence, if your weapon responses include traps (as you stated in the post), then that should make up a sizeable portion of your training.

Likewise, your training should revolve around multiple opponents- since this is also the norm.
Roundeyesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 15:35   #4
mhill

Blackbelt, I think you answered your own question. I think I trained maybe 10% of the time on traps. I thought that was appropriate. I've never used one in a real situation. I just don't think that they would come to mind, while they might work.

Sparring is always my favorite activity. I think that's pretty common. My moves have never been pretty so kata always sucks for me. I'm not much of a dancer, but I know how to "dance".
Old 04-14-2005, 09:38   #5
MARTIN FISHER

Black belt,
Having spent most of my formal training in JKDC, I found myself asking the same question after many hours of trapping drills. What I came to see was the trapping was not what was being trained, as in most of JKD, it it is the attributes developed during those drills which matter in a real fight.

Once the higher levels/stages of the drills (when headbutts, knees, elbows, groin slaps, eye jabs, et al) are insterted on the half beat and the combat flow of the drill has not been altered, you are really getting to what the drill is for.

Everyone teaches punching and kicking, where I think JKDC is in the real world application in a dynamic, fluid world.

The fact you have never had to use the trapping just tells me it was because the attributes you learned put your basic techniques on a higher level, which is exactly the goal.
MARTIN FISHER is offline   Reply With Quote