Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2005, 09:29   #1
MtCowboy

Matt Furey??

Hey I was wondering if anyone on this here forum has had any experience with Matt Furey's training programs. I always like to get feedback from other sources on something like this. Thanks. MtCowboy

www.mattfurey.com
MtCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 18:59   #2
garythenuke

Matt Furey has good stuff. His exercised do work and make alot of sense. I do them frequently and am making them part of my fitness routine. I will not tell you one way or another if the money is worth while though. He has to make a living somehow, and selling information is how he does it.
The exercises are not necessarily ground breaking or revolutionary. If you wrestled in high school you probably did most of his calisthenics. The "royal court" as he calls them are a series of three exercises that would take, in all likelyhood, less than 15 minutes a day to knock you on your butt.
All that being said, there are things that his stuff cannot touch compared to deadlifts, clean and jerks, and pullups. His handstand pushups really are challenging. I keep saying "his", but he did not invent them they have all been around for awhile.
I hope this helps,
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 20:18   #3
BlackBelt

+1 w/Garythenuke
I use Matt's 3 Royal Court exercises at home every morning. His programs are kind of pricey for what you get (in my opinion). He's not doing anything groundbreaking, just good ol' fashioned body weight/resistance exercises.
I have added the Royal court exercises into my basic karate classes, because they do seem to get everybody in shape pretty quick.
After I added them in, a student reminded me that years ago I was doing the same exercises, minus the back bridge.
He has some extreme pricing on some other programs that he sells, but it's his business, so who am I to say what's worth it or not?
It appears that he has basically repackaged exercises that were popular years ago, and is selling them with a new wrapping on the box.
But, I would reccomend buying his book called Combat Conditioning.
I also get an e-mail from him everyday with tips on working out. Of course they are sales-tools for his stuff, but there is also some pretty good info in them for free.
BlackBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 13:11   #4
Doug in CO

I was hesitant to buy "Combat Conditioning" because of a friend who told me he ordered a copy, and it never showed up. I finally broke down because I was interested. It came in about five days with no problems.

I think he's got some good points about muscle isolation versus complex muscle training. I always wondered when looking at one of those muscle system drawings how you were supposed to find the time to work all of the muscles in isolation without spending eight hours a day. More importantly, how were you supposed to calculate the proportion of workout to dedicate to a minor muscle group to keep in proper balance and proportion to a major one? I think it makes more sense to skip isolation unless you have literally nothing else to do, and concentrate on something that works major groups and all of the stablilizers within normal ranges of motion and expected use.

His exercises are an ass kicking workout. The only thing I would add is pushups on balls (the approximately 6" or 10 lb. balls are about the right size), and pullups. From what I understand, he added pullups to a more advanced book, wanting to keep "Combat Conditioning" strictly to what you could do without equipment.

Another nice thing about the approach is that you can do the major three exercises for about 1/2 of the workout, and mix in a large number of "miscellaneous" exercises for the rest. Doing this, you won't do the same workout more than a couple of times a month, if that. It keeps things interesting, and more challenging if you have students. Students mentally prepare for a workout by predicting what is going to happen and deciding to gut through it. Things get interesting when you are unpredictable.
Old 05-07-2005, 14:43   #5
Deputydave

Matt is in my neck of the woods. I think his prices are a bit steep, but the info is solid. It all depends on if you think it is worthwhile or not. As with anything else, if you order and it collects dust you wasted your money. The exercises will work..if you do.

Anything he offers on catch wrestling is solid as he learned directly from Karl Gotch. I train with one of the guys Matt has in some of his pics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote