Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-08-2005, 14:44   #1
DonGlock26

Best martial Art for Children

I would like to enroll my 9yr old son in a Martial Art class. He isn't into team sports at all. I think Judo would be better for him. We are both short and stocky. I might take classes too. My shoulders won't stand up to Karate, but I may be able to do Judo. Why do you folks think.

Thanks,

Don
Old 04-08-2005, 14:49   #2
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
Try Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, it is based on Judo and (I think) more fun. It is basically submission wrestling and some schools have classes specifically for children. However, it tends to be a bit expensive, so, maybe Judo would be best, it is your decision.

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 20:04   #3
DonGlock26

That's the way, I'm leaning. Or swimming!?! Thanks my friend!;c
Old 04-08-2005, 22:09   #4
Dimmak
Fire and Water

I recommend Aikido.
Big Dawg #1362, Sub Club #1362,Top Gun #1362, Rimfire #1362 Black Rifle #1362
Dimmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 01:41   #5
comptechgsr
enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to comptechgsr
i second aikido.
comptechgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:16   #6
Hesparus

Send a message via AIM to Hesparus
I wonder if aikido is to abstract for kids. I mean, its too abstract for a lot of adults. I'd recomend something hard fist, like gung fu or kempo karate. Consider how much my opinion means, though, as I don't have any kids.

- Chris
Old 04-10-2005, 15:09   #7
Joshua M. Smith
Shootist

Send a message via ICQ to Joshua M. Smith Send a message via Yahoo to Joshua M. Smith
Hi All,

I teach a six year old. He is almost seven now.

He is extremely good at linear motions and picks them up quickly. However, when I introduce anything circular (ie Aikido portion) he gets very confused and we spend several classes working on one technique. This is not good for his attention span.

I would do something more linear. Save the Aiki stuff for later.

Josh <><

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Joshua M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:12   #8
garythenuke

Aiki is great. If you can find Aiki Jitsu/Jutsu all the better. In my experience it is very difficult to find an Aikido instructor who is not into the "whole cosmos is round/ be one with the cosmos/ hold a big ball/ peace love and harmony" stuff. Instructors who think about, or even know about, the "rip your arm off and kill you with it" roots of Aikido are very rare. If you find one who will teach you the real stuff, he is worth his weight in gold.

In my opinion Aiki arts are just about the ultimate fighting art. That along with Glockjitsu. For kids, though, stay with striking and evading arts. Sign him up for track and teach him to get a quick first step. If your town has a junior wrestling club sign up for that. Kids need to get accustomed to being in contact with another body. That is a major shock for people in their first few confrontations.

After that if your town has an AAU junior boxing club go for that. The Eastern stuff is quite heady and advanced. Get into an organised combat sport, ie: boxing and wrestling. Those will serve a kid, and most adults for that matter, better than any pajama party.

Aikido and BJJ are awesome but take a very long time to learn enough to use. Western arts are wonderful and lay a great foundation for other things. A judo club would be a good place to learn a sport and get a good workout. I have very recently evolved to taking JKD concepts classes from a guy who incorporates BJJ, boxing, and gross motor skill stuff. They are very straightforeword and practical. He does not teach anyone under 18 however due to legal constraints. I just do not have time to learn kata's anymore with work, family, house repairs, waterheater replacements......

Thank you for allowing me to express my opinion. I would very much like to hear what anyone else has to say regarding my thoughts. My opinions came from events that fomred them. Consequently they can be changed. If you think I am wrong, let me know.

Garythenuke

Last edited by garythenuke; 04-11-2005 at 12:16..
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 12:33   #9
Ishiguro

You may have certain preferences concerning one style over another, but place a heavy weight on the nature of the instructor. Remember the teaching method of a certain instructor may be great to you, but may be like pulling teeth for your kid.
Ishiguro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 13:59   #10
grenadier

Since your son is already 9 years old, I would suggest taking him to several schools and seeing what he enjoys the most. He may very well prefer a grappling / throwing style, such as Jiu Jitsu, or perhaps a linear striking style, such as Japanese Karate. He might even like some of the more circular styles, such as Okinawan Karate.

It's important to check out these schools, to see if they're good with kids, and more importantly, to see how good of instruction that he would be getting. Furthermore, almost any school will offer at least a trial lesson or two, so that you can see for yourself (or your son).

Talk to the instructors, and also talk with your son about it. Be honest about what you want to do, and find out which glove fits the best.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:27   #11
DonGlock26

thanks for the replys guys. He did some Karate classes a while back and wasn't too thrilled. But, he likes to wrestle, hence the Judo idea. It's that or swiming.

Thanks,

Don
Old 04-12-2005, 12:36   #12
G33
CLM Number 296
Re-Assigned

I did judo and swim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

"I'd wager G would waterboard a salmon."--tous

"...those without swords can still die upon them." --Eowyn
G33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 03:35   #13
kerwin

Your son is 9 years old... i think Judo would be best for him. 9 year old kids can be very active, from running around to roller blades, bikes to climbing trees. Sometimes accidents happen and learning how to fall properly really helps. just my two cents worth.
kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 11:37   #14
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

+1 for Judo for a kid.

Convenience and accessibility are vital for regular attendance, and some people move often.
That's why TKD is probably the most widely practiced martial art in the world, even though most of us would agree that it's certainly not the most effective "fighting art." Wherever you are, you can find a choice of schools, even some with competition, maybe some with sparring. If you have a good Judo school available, get it while he's young. Little guys don't fall too hard.

Swimming is essential. Include that on a weekly basis for crosstraining. It's another skill best learned while young.

Even Teddy Kennedy could swim.
;Q
"I was part of a 10-person team at the human genome project that weaponized diseases to fight weaponized diseases. Pathogenic microorganisms with pathogenic microorganisms. Fire with fire. Interdepartmental drinks were had, relationships made..."
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 08:48   #15
DonGlock26

It's probably going to be swimming, but we'll see. Dad likes wrist locks!;f
Old 04-24-2005, 11:55   #16
Mushinto
Master Member

Judo would be the best choice for children under 12.

It teaches them how to fall and gets them to not fear body contact. The self defense aspects are appropriate for the playground. You might not want your son to rip some bully's eye out in an after-school scrap.

Striking arts should be avoided at that age as their joints are not fully mature.

ML
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote