Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2005, 19:51   #1
crash700

Krav Maga

I have very little experience in the martial arts, but I have considered Krav Maga as a form of self defense due to its simplicity. My limited past experience is in Combat Hapkito, which I thoroughly enjoyed, but got out of due to a scheduling conflict with my job. Any of you guys have any experience in Krav ? What are your thoughts on it?
Old 04-12-2005, 20:08   #2
Deputydave

Here is a discussion in progress about KM.

Krav Maga

Like anything else, it has its good and bad points.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Deputydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 14:13   #3
TED

The best thing about Krav Maga is that is deliberately made to be simple and easy to learn quickly.

It might not be the best or even close but it is one of the quickest routes to "good enough".

TED
TED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 20:18   #4
crash700

Thanks Deputydave and Ted, I appreciate it.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:23   #5
bigjim

I studied Krav Maga for a year or so at the Dragon Academy in Livonia, Michigan.

I concur with the opinion above. It's a good, solid fighting style that can be learned and assimilated quickly. It's pretty "streetsmart" in that it doesn't have a lot of wasted movement, unnatural stances, or ceremony for its own sake.

If you're looking to be able to defend yourself in a real world situation, it's a good choice. The classes are hard and rewarding, if a bit cheesy at lower levels (music, hand wraps for no apparent reason, etc)

Like many other styles, it's somewhat limited on the ground, and you'll probably need some jiu jitsu/wrestling/judo/whatever if you want to be a rounded fighter.
bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 17:32   #6
runnergirl

I've been training in Krav Maga for about 9 months...having no other fighting/martial arts experience I can't really make many comparisons. It does encourage and teach technique for eye gouging and how to strike the groin with a cuped hand to inflict maximum damage, kneeing the head/face, hammerfisting the back of the neck, etc.

I feel much safer running in isolated areas now, and will feel safer yet when I get my glock 26...

It depends a lot on the school and instructor...we're lucky to have an experienced student who teaches Krav and SPEAR in the military who brings in a Redman suit (if you haven't seen one, google it, it's awesome!) from time to time for some serious skills testing.

I'm not sure what's wrong with hand wraps (most schools mandate a MMA type glove). 20 minutes out of an hour are usually spent punching a fairly rigid target, a real fight is only going to last a few seconds, it seems logical to protect an important joint in training.
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 17:29   #7
scottsummers

I think it has two few techniques and the execution of the techniques at that aren't very good. You would think you could perform the only techniques you know well. I think boxing would be better for simplicity. OR muy thai. There is no way you could do any of those attacks against a serious muy thai practitioner and the execution of their elbows and kicks are very good. Plus, they have great conditioning and can take a good hit.

Travis
Old 05-04-2005, 14:06   #8
Ducman

Quote:
Originally posted by scottsummers
I think it has two few techniques and the execution of the techniques at that aren't very good. You would think you could perform the only techniques you know well. I think boxing would be better for simplicity. OR muy thai. There is no way you could do any of those attacks against a serious muy thai practitioner and the execution of their elbows and kicks are very good. Plus, they have great conditioning and can take a good hit.

Travis

Krav is very similiar to Muy Thai. Stand up striking with fist, knees, elbows and kicks. But Krav adds ground fighting.

Great conditioning is only part of the fight, there is will power and skill. You need all three to be a great fighter no matter what style you practice
Ducman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 13:04   #9
Werewolf01

Where can I find a directory of schools that offer instruction in Krav Maga?
Werewolf01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 13:13   #10
Ducman

http://www.kravmaga.com/locations.asp
Ducman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 13:54   #11
Steelviper

My former Taekwondo instructor characterized it as an extremely practical and brutal form of self defense. His example of a Krav Maga technique was "Block, grab, knee to the groin, knee to the groin, knee to the groin..."

Granted this is hearsay, but I thought it (humorously) demonstrated his respect for KM.
Steelviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 14:14   #12
scottsummers

this is good if you can get inside his guard but generally you hafto soften him up before you get a chance to knee him or else he might not let you grab him. As an example when you grab him he might just slap you across the face really hard before you have even thrown one strike. And knees are good but they arent necessarily "brutal" they are just one of the effective techniques. if you just throw a typical knee to the face without any other techniques they arent TOO hard to block. Depends if it comes in straight like to the thigh or in an upward motion. You can typically block a knee by crossing your arms and braciong your forearms against it. If you have a pseudo down x block you can counter it pretty easily by looping your outside arm under his leg and front arm pushing against his chest and throw him. If you are the guy kneeing if the guy blocks before you set your leg down from being blocked you can just throw a vertical elbow to his face.