SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2005, 21:57   #1
DBradD

Martial Arts Recommendation Appreciated

Hello everyone.

I am thinking about getting back into martial arts after a long hiatus. Some background: I'm 34 now and spent about a year in judo and jiu-jitsu when I was about 25. I quit due to family moving around, back spasms from getting thrown too many times in judo, etc. I reeeeaaallly love groundfighting and got pretty decent at it for somebody with only a year of experience. Of course, that was long, long ago.

At this point, I'm interested in learning an art with a weapon, but I don't know much about these arts. My interest is about 70% in self-defense, 15% in obtaining a productive hobby that will help me stay in shape, and 15% in broadening my horizons and knowledge. My first preference would be something that emphasized small edged weapons, simply because I carry one of those around most of the time. My second idea would be something with a stick. At least then, I could have them around sometimes. I don't really have an interest in more exotic weapons that I probably won't have access to (spear? sword?) must of the time. Of course, I already have my G23, but can't carry it in lots of locations due to stupid laws.

As is true of most 30-something professional, family men, I don't have a tremendous amount of time per week for extra-curricular activities. I realize that one gets benefits in proportion to the effort and time expended on the art, but constraints are constraints. I could probably dedicate 3-4 hours/week regularly.

As is also true of most post-macho-testosterone-surge-aged men, I have absolutely no interest in being injured. I'm not a coward, but just being logical. I realize that all martial arts are dangerous to some degree, but some are worse than others. For example, I've never seen even one person injured while groundfighting, although I'm sure it happens. I've seen, and experienced, lots of injuries from throwing (actually, to be more precise, landing!) such as in judo. I would rate my tolerance for unnecessarily dangerous activities as being about zero at this point in my life. I've seen too many people struggle as they got older because of injuries acquired earlier. The art is supposed to make life better, right?

Given my long laundry list of requirements, is it possible to recommend an art that I should take a look at? It's tough to research the different arts because I don't even know the names to look for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
DBD

Last edited by DBradD; 05-01-2005 at 22:04..
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 16:14   #2
garythenuke

You might check out canemasters. I believe they are www.canemasters.com .

They use a walking cane and train different techniques. They sell really heavy duty "street combat" canes as well as very expensive works of art. If you are interested I can give you more information on what I bought. I purchased two of their videos and kind of customized the introductory package to my own needs. Some of their techniques are good, others look good in a Jackie Chan movie. You'll have to decide what you want to concentrate on.

They live in Kalifornia, and so deal with some of the most restrictive laws in the nation. They claim they have never had any trouble walking through airports or post offices carrying a cane. I would suggest getting the thickest but least "nasty" looking model to attract the least attention.

For getitng into shape, check out www.ironmind.com or matt furey's stuff. There is a thread going on now on Matt Furey elsewhere on this site.

Good luck.
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39   #3
grenadier

Possibly Kali or Escrima? I'm sure there are many other names for stick fighting, but these styles may be what you are seeking.
Old 05-03-2005, 13:51   #4
scottsummers

martial art

If you are interested in stick I would probably look to some of the phillipino martial arts like Kali. Most Phillipino martial arts also teach groundfighting. It also depends what state you live in as to what instructors are available to you.

Travis
Old 05-03-2005, 16:35   #5
DBradD

Thank you all very much for replying! I will call around to the different schools here in town to see if these are available.

Any ideas for small edged weapons?

DBD
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 16:48   #6
scottsummers

small weapon

a karambit is a small knife that curves and contours around limbs which works well for cutting. It also has a curved blade the really tears well. If you dont want to get in as much legal trouble I would just carry something like a sturdy yet sharp pointed pen. It works really well and is very fast. If you wear one on your shirt that has clips on by the cap all you have to do is pull it and you have a stabbing or just poking weapon available that doesnt catch people's eyes. You can also carry those really small razors with tape on the other side and hid it in your belt or wherever. Knives can be iffy cause sometimes you dont want to hurt someone that much, get into big trouble, or have it taken away. Your choice.

Travis
Old 05-03-2005, 18:40   #7
Speedrock
"To The Point"

"I would rate my tolerance for unnecessarily dangerous activities as being about zero at this point in my life. I've seen too many people struggle as they got older because of injuries acquired earlier. The art is supposed to make life better, right?"

While have been "Over 40" for quite a while, elft the hard MA's long ago for the soft or internal style. T'ai Chi has been wonderful! Yang style as pefected by William C.C. Chen is where personally gravitated to. If you ever get the chance to experience one of Peter Ralston's Seminar's they are real eye opener's. "Push Hands" can be lost of fun too.......
to fire an accurate shot on demand will hold you back
in Mastering every other skill you need to acquire.
J. Michael Plaxco
Speedrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 17:08   #8
Fedaykin

Regardless of which style you choose, make sure that they engage in a lot of resistance training (i.e. sparring) in all ranges. I have trained in Jeet Kune Do for many years, and can tell you from personal experience that there are many schools that claim to teach practical martial arts that do no sparring whatsoever. Rather than make a pitch for one style or another, I think it is best to say that any practical style will have the following characteristics:

(1) They fight in all ranges: kickboxing, clinch-fighting, and ground-fighting (since even if you donít want to fight in one of these ranges, youíll at least need to be able to escape).
(2) They train with resistance (on a continuum from no resistance when initially learning the technique to full resistance in all-out sparring)
(3) They train with both empty-handed and with weaponry (since weapons are a great advantage, but only if they can be deployed and retained effectively).
(4) They teach you to fight against single and multiple opponents (and emphasize getting away from the latter rather than trying to subdue them Kung-Fu Theatre style).
(5) They teach you to use the environment to your advantage (environmental weapons, techniques using your opponentís clothing, slamming someone into objects, etc.)

If you go to a school to try out a class, make sure to look for these things. If you donít see them, ask the instructor about them. If the school doesnít do them, they probably arenít dedicated to self-defense training (though they might be a fine place for sport, self-cultivation, etc.).

Also, if you are interested in stick and knife fighting, you might want to check out Burton Richardsonís tapes/dvds (http://jkdunlimited.com/index.php?cP...83eb03474e3b90). I second the receommendation for Canemasters. I've trained with Mark Shuey and own two of his canes, and I can say that he's a great instructor with a fine product.

Temet nosce,
Fedaykin
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 22:40   #9
Ironeagle74

Another one to try for stick fighting is the Dog Brothers. Awsome stuff if you havent seen it.
Ironeagle74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 22:48   #10
Fedaykin

^c Agreed on the Dog Brothers. Burton Richardson, who I mentioned above, was one of the founding members of the Dog Brothers (Lucky Dog). I was part of full contact stick fighting group for over a year. I strongly suggest that anyone who is serious about stick fighting try some full contact, rattan stick sparring once they develop a pretty good game with foam sticks.

Temet nosce,
Fedaykin
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 21:01   #11
SLFlyinghorse
theUnemployed!!

a word about Target Focus Training

www.tft.com/

I had been receiving monthly newsletters from mr tim larkin and recently when it was announced that a new scholarship program was being offered, I self nominated for TFT product-which was the prize for each months scholarship winners.

I was recently a runner up and did receive a Joint Breaking dvd set in the mail from TFT group.

I love it.

As the system / instructors explain only 3 degrees of freedom that each joint has and from these degrees you get 6 ways a joint can be broken.

That's IT!!! No complicated memorization of various / endless techniques to do, just simplicity.

I have always been a fan of mr tim larkin and did (earlier-like over 10yrs ago) receive product from mr larkin's old SCARS associates.

I like scars and now tft for how they present their information.
It's based on science and the training is hard, hands on and you learn right now instead of Years from now when a Guru deems you "worthy enough".

My own medical knowledge comes from being a massage practitioner in WA state at one time. We studied basics of the human body back then and that sewed the seed for the endless studies I've done until now.

Even as a child and youth, I've learned that you get a physical response from someone when you hit them or kick them etc.

When I was in the Navy over 15 yrs ago I was work buddy's with a few young men who were medical dropouts from BUD/S and sent to the Fleet.

One told me of the fighting instruction he had seen, and he said scars. And he showed me some kicks, a stomp and a body slam-rollover onto your partner.

I was sold.

So that is my background on all this.

I do admire anyone that pursues the MA.
It does take dedication and much practice for perfection.

But that is not for me, I need things now.
Long ago when scars went civilian and later on (now) when TFT sent me some product. I am truly educated.

Long ago as a massage student, I did briefly touch upon movements in the joints. But we studied such movement only to help us in our practice.

Never in my wildest dreams did I conceive of "hey, I could use this to break people!!" So close yet so far. Until someone else much smarter than I came along.

Torin Hill and Chris Ranck-Buhr are the Joint Breaking instructors.
Even Tim Larkin demos some moves on the dvd's.

Respectfully.

samuel l flyinghorse
alaska village public safety
-VPSO Class #29, Badge #51,
VPSO toMinto,AK 2/2001 to 10/2003

http://alaskavillagetales.blogspot.com/

-BarTenderTraineeSam!!
Boston Shakin', not Stirred!!
SLFlyinghorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 22:46   #12
bunkerbuster

I would recommand KENDO. It is a Japanese fencing. That requires lots of Bushido (way/code of samurai).

I would say this martial arts has the most dicipline than any other martial arts, and it is closest from handiling with firearms as well.

One bad part about this martial art are:

1. cost. It cost too much, because of equipments.
2. too diffilcult. It makes Taekwondo, judo, and other martial like a candy eating.
3. no weight class.

good luck
bunkerbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 23:05   #13
scottsummers

kendo

Hmmmm, so kendo requires lots of bushido? As compared to a smidgen of bushido or a pound of bushido? Can you measure bushido? Do chinese martial arts require bushido or are you thinking of a japanese term for a japanese martial art? Also, are you a samurai. You might have to slit your belly open if you lose in a kendo match otherwise.

"I would say this martial arts has the most dicipline than any other martial arts"

-dont you mean more discipline? How do you know if you have never done every martial art on earth? What is discipline? Is it practice time, energy expenditure, pain threshhold, what?

"it is closest from handiling with firearms as well."

-why, because you hold a stick with your hand and because you also hold a gun with your hand?

kendo, makes other martial arts like candy eating? Do you mean it is better? How so? It doesnt involve empty hands just weapon. Do you mean the weapons aspect? Its definitely not too difficult because otherwise no one would have ever learned it and it would be pointless. Having no weight class in a martial art is good because you shouldnt have to have a certain weight to perform well. The techniques should work for a person of any size.
Old 05-15-2005, 23:41   #14
bunkerbuster

Re: kendo

Quote:
Originally posted by scottsummers
Also, are you a samurai. You might have to slit your belly open if you lose in a kendo match otherwise.

1. no, i ain't those samurai or japanese warrior.
2. i don't think it requires slitting your stomach. You watch toomuch movies... lol
3. You seem very uptight. Lighten up. It is just my opinion.
4. May be i wasn't suitable with kendo, that is why it was most diffilcult, I don't know. I don't wanna argue which martial is the greatest martial art of all.
5. Gotta have fun taking martial arts.
bunkerbuster is offline   Reply With Quote