SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-13-2005, 08:38   #1
WPD80
The Example!

My First MVC as a Medic

Well, I am about three weeks from graduating from my EMT-B class. I also am a First Responder. I was at my local FD, when a call for a MVC, came out. One vehicle vs. a Telephone pole.

One of the EMT's told me to BSI up, and get in back. One other EMT drove. While en-route to the accident, I was thinking of what to do. I have been a cop for 14 years and handeld hundred's of PI accidents.

For this one I was nervous. Well, after arriving my PT was already out of the truck and standing. I quickly c-collared him, and got a couple of the cops (whom was making fun of me - *******s) to help board him standing. The other EMT was standing right along side of me, and watched. I really can't remember all I said or did. I just did it.

I was told that I did a great job, with the O2 and the SAMPLE questions, and DCAP-BTLS....So I feel pretty good about it.

I thought that I forgot everything the RN's were teaching me at the hosptial, but I guess not.

Thanks for Listening, I just wanted to rant a bit....

Tom

;c ;c
WPD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 08:46   #2
G21FAN
Useless loser

Send a message via ICQ to G21FAN
BSI? do you mean PPE as we call it here?

In the South, we didn't turn our swords into plowshares. We turned our church bells into guns.
(The Elderly Kid)
G21FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:54   #3
WPD80
The Example!

yep, its the same. It used to be PPE here too....Someone got paid a million bucks to think of a new name....Tom
Old 04-13-2005, 14:12   #4
G21FAN
Useless loser

Send a message via ICQ to G21FAN
sounds about right. Been a P-medic 14 years and the 3 letter alphabet soups change so much it is confusing. example: all through school and 5 years of street work, EMD was used instead of PEA, now AHA wants PEA to cover all the various pulseless electrical activities. Whew, im tired now!;f

In the South, we didn't turn our swords into plowshares. We turned our church bells into guns.
(The Elderly Kid)
G21FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 21:09   #5
N2DFire
Who Me ???

Hey Tom - sounds like you did a good job for your first MVA.

As for the alphabet soup:

BSI = Body Substance Isolation = Gloves, Gown, Eye Protection, and Respiratory Protection (Mask)

PPE = Personal Protective Equipment = Typicaly refers to Structural Fire Gear or EMS/Extrication/Tech Rescue style gear, helmet, boot's, etc.

Also - one last tid bit of advice (and it may be a regional thing) but careful how you refer to yourself as a "Medic" Some places it's generic for any level EMT and some places it's *reserved* for EMT-Paramedic's and some of them can get a bit testy about it.
Big Dawg #1156, Black Rifle #20, GOTOD #3, Fire & EMS Talk #2302
N2DFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:03   #6
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
Sounds like you did a good job. I just finished my EMT-B classes and am awaiting test results from NREMT. I feel like I have probably forgot more than I ever knew but like you said, hopefully, it will come back to me when I need it.

Just a note about N2DFire's comment. In this area Medic is reserved for parmedics. EMT's like myself are refered to as EMT's
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:10   #7
WPD80
The Example!

I meant a Medic style of a call. I am a LEO by trade (fulltime). So this was my first time responding in a Ambulance with EMT's....

How was your NREMT test?????

I will be taking mine around the second week of May.

Tom
Old 04-15-2005, 12:01   #8
lomfs24

Tom,
The test was not at all what I imagined. The practical part was, of course, everything we practiced in class. That was really the part of the test that I was worried about. AND, I was the only one from my department that passed that portion (4 of us took the test). If you haven't already taken that part my advice is study the critical fails for each station. That's what will get you. And for the trauma station not recognizing and treating secondary conditions will get you (ie... not saying that you recognize and are treating for shock)

As far as the written part goes, study the NREMT ciriculum. The book may get you close but it's not always exact with the ciriculum. My advice on the written part. KNOW YOUR AIRWAY AND RESPIRATIONS! Most of the resp rates they will give you on the test are borderline rates between where you would just put on a Non-rebreather mask or where you would apply a BVM. Know your rates and where the ciriculum tells you to make the switch. That means you have to know resp rates for all classes, adults, adolescents, children, toddlers, infants, newborns. That's the best advise I can give. I wasn't too worried about the written part and I feel pretty good about passing it.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
Old 04-16-2005, 16:00   #9
WPD80
The Example!

Cool, Thanks for the advice. We are just finishing trauma next tuesday. We will take our written and praticals on Trauma then. There is just soooo much to remember for me. I have been out of school for a long time. It has taken me some time to get use to studying again.

anyway, thanks for the advice. It will be taken....I'll also pass on your reponses to my class.

Tom
Old 04-16-2005, 18:15   #10
lomfs24

One more bit...

Tom,
One more bit of advise. I don't know whether it works or not but I didn't it and I passed (my practical at least and feel good about the written). Put your books away at least 24 hours before your test and go do something that is fun and that you enjoy doing. Kinda takes the overload off your brain.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:38   #11
WPD80
The Example!

Trust me I WIll!! I am just nuts about this test, I have been through college, passed the Police Academy with a 97% average, but never have I worried about any test more than this one.

It just seems like the more I read the book, the more it dosen't make any sense.

My instructor told us that out of 12 students the last time the test was taken 4 failed. Then the 4 re-took the exam and 2 more passed.

So, I'll just finish up all my homework, do some review and call it a week.

Thanks again!

Tom;c
Old 04-18-2005, 10:33   #12
vbscout

Congrats on the call!! It is a wonderful feeling when everything that you learned in class works in the feild. The samething happened to me on my first call as an EMT. As for what to call yourself Medic or EMT. The public really doen'e know the difference as long as you show up.
vbscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:37   #13
WPD80
The Example!

Thanks, it was a experience thats for sure....A whole lot different than standing there asking people to move back or if they saw anything! HAHAHA

Tom
Old 04-18-2005, 16:32   #14
jmspears

Medic vs. EMT

I would stick to calling yourself EMT. If you call yourself a medic, it eludes that you have ALS abilities. Not a good idea, and other medics get pissy about it when they went thru additional education and one hell of a test to be known as a medic. Congrats on your call, and stay with it!!

Jason Spears, NREMT-P
Kimber Raptor 1911
AR's/AK's/Keltecs, etc.
jmspears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:42   #15
medic3709

When I started at my current place of employment I was still a basic and I would get caught off gaurd by more senior memebers that were Paramedics calling me a medic, It had me confused, then somebody explained that around the area all EMT's were refered to among themselves as medics. Maybe it comes from the MEDICal in the emergency medical technician part. Something else that I have picked up on, even having the BASIC rocker above my Illinois patch a lot of calls that I go on the patients refer to us all as medics, if the time and sitution permits a little education usually sets them straight, sometimes the public does not know the difference. Even now as a Paramedic I refer to my coworkers that are not Paramedics as medics. I guess it is a regional thing, to be safe just use the same termonology as the rest of your fellow EMS providers in ther area. You did a good job on the call which is good, because somebody has to step up to the plate after I left that department, just kidding. You will do good in EMS.

Last edited by medic3709; 04-26-2005 at 12:45..
medic3709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 16:36   #16
WPD80
The Example!

Hey there MEDIC 3709, You know that you did not have to leave the department!!! But then again the big city life and all the women must have got to you!HAHAHAHHA Be Safe Mike! Stay in touch knucklehead!

Tom;c ;c ;c ;c ;c ;c ;c