Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-21-2005, 07:22   #1
awlglock

Any Mazda 6s owners out there??

I just got a new Mazda 6s with the V6. It is one sweet ride. I love it. I will miss my 2001 Celica but with three kids that car was just not practical anymore. I will miss my 30 mpg also. The 6 rides like my brother's 3 series and handles great. It will be a fun daily driver. Looks great with the 17 inch wells also. Anybody else out there a fan of the 6?
If you wish peace, prepare for war.
awlglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:30   #2
ccw_bearcat
Cage Fighter

I don't have one, but I am certainly impressed by them. Great balance of performance, looks, efficiency, and utility for the money you spend. I have a friend who has a very nice moderately modded BMW 328i. He told me that if he had to go out and buy a new car today he would probably buy a Mazda 6s with a 6sp manual tranny.
My Pistols: Dan Wesson 1911 Commander Bobtail - 10mm Auto, Glock 20, S&W 1076, Sig P220, S&W 340PD, Beretta 96 Brigadier, Sistema Colt M1911A1, Arcus 94C, Bulgarian Makarov, Taurus M82, Walther P22, Ruger Mk II Gvt, Armi Galesi - .25ACP, Four Aces - .22Short
ccw_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:10   #3
awlglock

My 6s has the 5 speed automatic but I wish I had the 6 speed manual.
My wife refuses to drive a stick. My brother has a 2001 325i and my 6 drives just as good as the BMW does handling wise. The BMW does have a smoother transmission though. But the main problem with the BMW is the repair bills that come after going to the shop. My brother has spent a chunk of change at the BMW dealership on repairs. I have had my 6s for a year and all I have done is pay for oil changes. Great car for the money.
Old 04-22-2005, 16:59   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

A Japanese front driver that drives as good as a BMW? Excuse me if I am a bit skeptical.

As far as repairs on BMWs go, unless the drive screws up and runs the car off the road, I can't imagine what sort of repairs go into a BMW. Maintenance is expensive, yes, but repair? What repair?

My last Bimmer had 120,000 miles on before I traded it in, all in four years. Other than some niggling cosmetics issue handled under warranty, it required no repair
Old 04-22-2005, 17:26   #5
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

I'm not the least bit skeptical, BMW basically abandoned steering feel after the e36 (speaking of 3 series), even the E46 M3 I drove felt soft and disconnected. The Japanese companies have been gunning for BMW for a long time, they are bound to get close. Granted, around a track things might be different, but in real world street driving, I wouldn't discount the far east folks...

Rob- disgruntled BMW fan
Old 04-22-2005, 18:27   #6
awlglock

My brother's BMW just recently had to have the steering pump replaced along with some of the hydraulics in the braking system. This repair bill ran him $1200.00. My brother takes good care of his car so it is not a driver problem. Don't get me wrong. I think BMW makes a heel of a car but when repairs are needed that are not covered under warranty it is expensive. My point with this post is that the 6s gives much more bang for the buck. It handles great and the 220 HP V6 makes for fun on the mountain roads. Go give one a test drive if you don't believe me or read some of the reviews in car magazines.
Old 04-25-2005, 13:13   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I'm not saying that the Mazda 6 isn't a good car. I have no interest in it, maybe it's a good car and maybe not. But to say that it handles as well as a BMW 3-series is a bit disingenuous, wouldn't you think?

I'm not even contesting owning a BMW is cheap. That's a given. And they definitely aren't as good as a few other marques (primarily Japanese) when it comes to bang for the bucks, but no way in hell a front driver is going to drive as good as a rear driver much less a BMW.

Rob, the new electric steering on the recent Bimmers aren't as good as the previous hydraulic ones, but they gotta start somewhere. The new generation of 3-series seem to have the steering feedback problem fixed. While I love the feedback of the older hydraulic steering, I love the way the electric steering work even more. Would I prefer better feedback? Hell yeah! And it will come as BMW perfects its electric steering mechanism.
Old 04-25-2005, 13:28   #8
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

yeah, i'm sure it'll get better, but I guess i'm just old fashioned like that, IMHO the true pinnacle of steering feel was my 72 911....
Old 04-25-2005, 13:39   #9
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob1035
yeah, i'm sure it'll get better, but I guess i'm just old fashioned like that, IMHO the true pinnacle of steering feel was my 72 911....
The 70s and into the 80s was a great period for most german cars. they were very sporty and had very few "doo dads". They were as close to a basic sports car as you could get. Especially, VW/Audi/Porsche. I wish they would make cars like that again. Well built and sporty, light, great handling, and very simple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 13:58   #10
awlglock

I agree that the 70's and 80's were a great period for German cars. The Germans have gotten too carried away with all their "electronics" and gadgets that they put into cars now. A great example of this is BMW's complicated idrive system. All it does is overcomplicate things. I would love for Porsche to start maiking the 944 again. I loved that car.