SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:26   #1
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

My new company truck Ford F150XL initial impressions

I just switched out the old F250 V10 for a brand new F150 XL with the 5.4 V8.

The old truck was a 2WD and the new truck is 4WD, so that would be a nice improvement when the weather turns nasty and the worksite turns into a mud bath.

The new truck is a crew cab with long bed as opposed to the old one's crew cab and standard bed. Nothing wrong with standard bed, but when you also have the tool box in the back, it kinda cramp your style. Now, I have enough room in the back to throw my beach cruiser on back there and head to the beach. I missed being able to ride my bicycle along the strands.

The new truck's ride also improved considerably over the older one. On road ride is very, very carlike and well composed. Don't know about offroad or at least rough terrain ride yet.

It's an XL so the amenities are very basic: power locks and windows and a stereo radio, cloth interior and that's it. More than sufficient for a work truck.

Now, here's the bad part: the 5.4 V8 is gutless.;L Supposedly it has 300-HP, but it has no get-up-n-go like the old V10. Passing on the freeway at 80-MPH requires some serious planning and room for acceleration.

I'm not complaining at all. A free truck for getting to and from work is a great deal. A lot of guys would use their company trucks for personal use (which is fine by the company), but I wouldn't get caught dead driving this truck off work unless I have to go to Home Depot or maybe one of those weekends when I feel the need to cruise the beaches on my bicycle and need something to transport the bike in.

Sorry, I don't want to post the photos because it'd show the company's name and such.

I wouldn't buy one with my own money though. It'd have to be either a Dodge Ram or a Nissan Titan; more than likely the latter, if I were to buy a full-sized pickup.
Old 04-25-2005, 18:16   #2
Ron3

Well, you did get the largest, heaviest version of the F-150 being a crew-cab long bed 4X4.

All that extra weight soaks up torque, and so does your four wheel drive.

Speaking of torque, you have less now because you went from a 6.8 liter to a 5.4 liter. It's no wonder you have much less acceleration than before.

Your gas mileage is probobly only slightly better am I right?

Ron3
Ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 18:18   #3
Ron3

"I wouldn't buy one with my own money though. It'd have to be either a Dodge Ram or a Nissan Titan; more than likely the latter, if I were to buy a full-sized pickup."

Forget the Dodge! Far from the best trucks, even GM's are better. Fords better still.

The Nissan and Toyota's are good trucks.

Ron3
Ron3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 18:29   #4
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I think that I got around 14MPG averaged versus 11MPG before. It's got enough to move around but I don't know how it would perform with a load in its bed or with a trailer towed behind.
Old 04-25-2005, 18:47   #5
sigarms229

F-150 crew cab long bed? Do you mean extended cab longbed? Because the crew cab (super crew as ford calls it) is only available with a 5.5' shortbed in the F-150 platform.

Just curious.
sigarms229 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:11   #6
streeter69
This is Kewl

A V-8 is going to feel like a turd next to a V-10. A good cat back exahust does help wake them up
Old 04-26-2005, 08:59   #7
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Well, I call it crew cab, but maybe it's extended cab. It sure has a lot more room in the back than before. I know that I was going to lose out on the torque but the horsepower loss was only 10-hp going down from 310 to 300. Anyway, it's free so I'm not complaining too much.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:55   #8
CZ-75A

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
Well, I call it crew cab, but maybe it's extended cab. It sure has a lot more room in the back than before. I know that I was going to lose out on the torque but the horsepower loss was only 10-hp going down from 310 to 300. Anyway, it's free so I'm not complaining too much.
0-60 takes something like 10 seconds.
CZ-75A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:00   #9
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
Anyway, it's free so I'm not complaining too much.
I wouldn't either. I would be happy with a free Hyundai.;f

If I am not mistaken, but isn't the V-8 more or less the base engine? I heard those V-10s are quite nice, but if I were to go full size (and I was paying for it) I would probably go deisel. Those Power strokes are so sweet. Gotta love that turbo whine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 11:32   #10
CZ-75A

Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
I wouldn't either. I would be happy with a free Hyundai.;f

If I am not mistaken, but isn't the V-8 more or less the base engine? I heard those V-10s are quite nice, but if I were to go full size (and I was paying for it) I would probably go deisel. Those Power strokes are so sweet. Gotta love that turbo whine.
No, a 4.6L SOHC V-8 is base.
CZ-75A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 14:02   #11
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by CZ-75A
No, a 4.6L SOHC V-8 is base.
oh,

Well I could see the 4.6 being pretty under powered, it seems a bit underpowered in my 95 cougar. I am still glad it isn't a V-6 though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 21:27   #12
vart

I had a `99 F150 with the 5.4 V8 and it was rated at 260 hp. It felt really strong and I was very impressed with the motor (when it was running properly;Q ).
Then Ford came out with the "new" 3-valve 300hp 5.4 and the common statement by all of the magazine testers is, "What happened to all of the power?"
Apparently, the new motor doesn't feel nearly as strong as the old motor.
I haven't driven a new F150, but it seems that most who have are dissapointed with the power.
My `99 F150 was quite impressive, especially after I added Flowmaster exhaust and cold-air intake .

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

"Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk"
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 13:30   #13
Rootus

Quote:
Originally posted by vart
Then Ford came out with the "new" 3-valve 300hp 5.4 and the common statement by all of the magazine testers is, "What happened to all of the power?"
Apparently, the new motor doesn't feel nearly as strong as the old motor.
There's "feel", and there is reality. A peaky torque curve makes for a quick feeling. But a flat torque curve, while kinda boring, does give more overall power. The 3V has VVT, and its main claim to fame is better power under the curve, not quite so peaky. The new Mustang also has the 3V heads (but on a 4.6L) and seems to do quite well with it.

I've heard the new F-150 gained a -lot- of weight over the old model, which is probably why it feels a bit weak even with the 5.4L. Was it the King Ranch or Harley Davidson model from before that had the Lightning engine? Can't remember...

Oh well. I'd happily have a new F-150 for a work truck. When I feel the need for speed my 2003 Cobra is plenty quick. Hard to argue with 500+ horsepower... it may be awhile before I'll be happy with anything less ;f

Dave
Rootus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 20:48   #14
vart

Quote:
Originally posted by Rootus
There's "feel", and there is reality.
Sorry, but when professional vehicle testers get behind the wheel of a new F150 and say it is slower than the older ones, that is reality.
To me, it doesn't matter what the numbers say, what matters is how the truck performs in the real world, and the consensus is that the new F150 doesn't perform as expected.

"That's a big bite of crap sandwich, my friend..."

"Alcohol doesn't solve any problems, but then again, neither does milk"

Last edited by vart; 04-27-2005 at 20:57..
vart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:29   #15
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I didn't put either of my company trucks to a real timed test, but when you're driving it on a daily basis, especially when you're accelerating to merge into freeway traffic, it's quite telling.

Yes, the new F150 has 4WD, so the extra tranny and differential gears probably soak up some of that oomph. But the old F250 has a heavier chassis. So, who knows. I am definitely not complaining, and that's why I made it as an observation and an informal report.

It will definitely tell when I begin to use it to haul heavy stuff around. All I know is that I just got smoked by a Nissan Titan like a cheap cigar just yesterday's afternoon while leaving work. I know, I know, it's a truck and not a drag racer AND I know that the Titan would beat it hands down. I just wanted to see for myself how badly, and it was bad.;b