SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-08-2013, 19:48   #1
WiskyT
Malcontent

Liking LXDE

I just installed LXDE on one of my Ubuntu 10.04 machines to try it out. Sooner than later I'm probably going to have to say goodbye to GNOME, so I thought I'd dip my toe in LXDE. I'm still learning how to use it but it really responds faster than when using GNOME. I had to turn on Network Manager on startup because it wouldn't connect to wifi, but that was nothing a quick google search couldn't fix.

When my hand is forced in a few weeks, I think I'll upgrade to Ubuntu 12.04 and run LXDE.

Anyway, I guess I'm just rambling a little about how much I like the whole concept of Linux and the way even amateurs like me can make things work, or work better, with a little tinkering or a little help from the community.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:32   #2
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

You might want to consider the new "Mate" desktop if you like Gnome 2.x

Mate was born because of people who did not like Gnome 3/Unity, and didn't want XFCE or LXDE. It's basically Gnome 2.x

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1476620

Tech Talk
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:53   #3
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

The LXDE addition to Ubuntu looks like the generic version. The LXDE that comes with Lubuntu is configured differently. It has a bit of eye candy turned off by default in Lubuntu and is more plain-looking. Maybe that allows it to run faster or is for use in older computers with lesser graphics hardware. The generic version in Ubuntu is nicer looking but there may be some other configuration changes other than just looks.
Old 04-09-2013, 14:53   #4
WiskyT
Malcontent

Here is the thing, I don't actually care to much about what a GUI does since they all seem to do what I want. What I just need is to know where everything is. I learned how to use GNOME so I like it. Since it's going away, I have to learn something else. I know what I need to know about LXDE, so I figured I try it. Well, I click on something and instead of a pause and then action, it's just immediate action. So, it might not really be accurate to say I like LXDE, since I like pretty much any GUI I use for more than two weeks.

As I learn more, I am starting to see the differences in GUI's. I've read about LXDE being "light", but never really knew what that meant since I never used it back to back on the same machine as GNOME. Now I have the same machine with both and LXDE is lightening fast compared to GNOME. This particular machine will only support 1.2G of memory if I'm remembering correctly. I put two of the biggest cards that were listed for it and it would overheat and freeze up. The bottom of the machine where the RAM cards were was too hot to keep my finger on. With one of the larger cards, and the original smaller one, it runs fine. It didn't seem to matter which of the larger cards I used, it ran fine, but with both of them it would freeze. So, the limit seems to be 750M or whatever I ended up leaving in it. So, I'm now looking to reduce RAM demands.

That brings me to Lubuntu with my Ubuntu 10.04 going EOL. But, Lubuntu 12.04 isn't LTS and is probably getting close to EOL. So, I figured Ubuntu 12.04 and LXDE. Is Mate light like LXDE?

Old 04-09-2013, 17:47   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
Here is the thing, I don't actually care to much about what a GUI does since they all seem to do what I want. What I just need is to know where everything is. I learned how to use GNOME so I like it. Since it's going away, I have to learn something else. I know what I need to know about LXDE, so I figured I try it. Well, I click on something and instead of a pause and then action, it's just immediate action. So, it might not really be accurate to say I like LXDE, since I like pretty much any GUI I use for more than two weeks.

As I learn more, I am starting to see the differences in GUI's. I've read about LXDE being "light", but never really knew what that meant since I never used it back to back on the same machine as GNOME. Now I have the same machine with both and LXDE is lightening fast compared to GNOME. This particular machine will only support 1.2G of memory if I'm remembering correctly. I put two of the biggest cards that were listed for it and it would overheat and freeze up. The bottom of the machine where the RAM cards were was too hot to keep my finger on. With one of the larger cards, and the original smaller one, it runs fine. It didn't seem to matter which of the larger cards I used, it ran fine, but with both of them it would freeze. So, the limit seems to be 750M or whatever I ended up leaving in it. So, I'm now looking to reduce RAM demands.

That brings me to Lubuntu with my Ubuntu 10.04 going EOL. But, Lubuntu 12.04 isn't LTS and is probably getting close to EOL. So, I figured Ubuntu 12.04 and LXDE. Is Mate light like LXDE?
Well, first we need to know what processor that is, because you may run into that "PAE" issue that we discussed in another thread. If it maxes out at 1gig of ram, it's quite possible that processor doesn't support PAE. If the processor supports PAE, then what you mentioned will work just fine

Second, since you want LTS, as you mentioned, that puts Lubuntu out of the question.

The standard LXDE desktop is still just as fast as Lubuntu. It may look a bit more polished, but they are the same (or at least I never noticed any difference in the two).

Now as for installing (again, since you want LTS). The easiest thing to do would be to download the Ubuntu Mini ISO, and it lets you choose what GUI you want. Installing from the Mini ISO, takes a while as it essentially downloads the entire OS as it installs. I'd expect it to take about 30-40min minimum. It is however, very easy. Does pretty much everything for you, and a little over halfway through, you'll get a bunch of packages you can choose.. just choose "Minimal Lubuntu Desktop Install"... and it will finish everything for you.

With that, you'll have Lubuntu w/ LTS.

IGF
Old 04-09-2013, 17:54   #6
WiskyT
Malcontent

Pentium M 1.80GHz 1002 RAM and a 40G HD. It's a Dell Latitude 600.

What about just upgrading through Update Manager? I did it that way a few times to get to 10.04 when I first started out. I have since read that doing that can cause problems. Would that be a bad way to do it?

Old 04-09-2013, 17:55   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

Also, I read that by upgrading through UM, I will get the non-PAE version of Ubuntu 12.04. Does that make any sense?

Old 04-09-2013, 18:24   #8
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Pentium M's... some of them had PAE support, some did not. I believe the 1.8's did.

I would imagine you can use Update Manager and upgrade to 12.04 no problem. I don't usually upgrade releases, I just do clean installs, so I've never really upgraded.

My real point in explaining it the way I did.. was to get rid of some of the bloat that will be caused by Unity being installed (since it will be installed, just not used.)

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 04-09-2013 at 18:29..
Old 04-09-2013, 19:19   #9
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

With Ubuntu 12.04 just use the default kernel. It will support all of the memory the Pentium M computer has. I added LXDE to Ubuntu 12.04 and it looks very good. I installed Lubuntu 12.10 in another computer and it looks very plain.
Old 04-10-2013, 04:53   #10
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
With Ubuntu 12.04 just use the default kernel. It will support all of the memory the Pentium M computer has. I added LXDE to Ubuntu 12.04 and it looks very good. I installed Lubuntu 12.10 in another computer and it looks very plain.
Whether that amount of memory is supported, is not the issue.. that is obviously the case.

The Live nd the Alternate Install ISO's, use the PAE Kernel on 32bit. This is why if your CPU does not support PAE, you can't use the normal ISO's for Ubuntu (it will fail to boot). How much RAM you have, is irrelevant. If your CPU does not support PAE, it will not boot.

If you have a CPU that does not have PAE support, you need to either use the mini ISO, or use the Lubuntu ISO. The Lubuntu ISO is fine, but as mentioned above, he wants LTS, and Lubuntu does not support LTS... so in this case (again, we're talking clean install here...) his only option would be to use the Mini ISO, and then install the LXDE Desktop on top of that.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:45   #11
Chronos

Just to agree with the OP, I also really like LXDE -- light on resources, fast for the user, and gives you plenty of info on the status of the computer at a glance (what is open, memory/cpu usage, temperature, etc. in the taskbar). I really hate the recent trend (caused by tablets) of activating entire screens or programs just to pick out the program you want to run, or to get basic info. A simple menu/taskbar is far more efficient.

Also, I can get a bit obsessive over "wasted resources," and LXDE is one of the best for this. It's not a memory hog of the type we used to accuse Windows of being, and doesn't waste CPU cycles on gratuitous eye candy.

The only one that may end up pulling me away from LXDE is Enlightenment (E17). Even lighter/faster on resources, and it's really awesome for customizing the desktop to get exactly what you want. The official release is only a few months old, though, so it may take a while to filter down into the most popular distributions.
If you've already accepted that "violence against the innocent" is a morally legitimate means of funding the government, who are you to complain when the majority apprporiates your legacy and sells your children into a lifetime of debt slavery?
Chronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 15:15   #12
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Pentium M's... some of them had PAE support, some did not. I believe the 1.8's did.

I would imagine you can use Update Manager and upgrade to 12.04 no problem. I don't usually upgrade releases, I just do clean installs, so I've never really upgraded.

My real point in explaining it the way I did.. was to get rid of some of the bloat that will be caused by Unity being installed (since it will be installed, just not used.)
I didn't realize Unity would bloat things if it wasn't used. I thought by not using it I would be able to avoid it putting demands on my resources.

Okay, so I'll do the mini ISO route. I'll read up on it and see how it's done, and then come back here with any questions before pulling the trigger.

Old 04-10-2013, 17:45   #13
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
I didn't realize Unity would bloat things if it wasn't used. I thought by not using it I would be able to avoid it putting demands on my resources.

Okay, so I'll do the mini ISO route. I'll read up on it and see how it's done, and then come back here with any questions before pulling the trigger.
The Mini ISO, is really pretty easy. One nice thing... is when you install the "Lubuntu Desktop" with the mini ISO, it literally only installs the Desktop, a terminal app, and a couple of system utilities, and that's it. You can then keep things really "lean and mean" and only install exactly what you want (say, a browser).. or, if you want it to basically be just like you installed from the Lubuntu ISO...

Open up a terminal
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop lubuntu-restricted-extras

That command will download/install all the apps that are normally on a Lubuntu install (Chromium, Lubuntu Software Center, multimedia codecs, etc..)

The mini ISO, while it takes a little longer, is really a pretty nice way to install. It is a text based installer, so that might be a little intimidating to you. Like I said though, I should be around this weekend if you need some help.

IGF

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 04-11-2013 at 11:07..
Old 04-10-2013, 18:07   #14
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
The Mini ISO, is really pretty easy. One nice thing... is when you install the "Lubuntu Desktop" with the mini ISO, it literally only installs the Desktop, a terminal app, and a couple of system utilities, and that's it. You can then keep things really "lean and mean" and only install exactly what you want (say, a browser).. or, if you want it to basically be just like you installed from the Lubuntu ISO...

Open up a terminal
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop lubuntu-restricted-extras

That command will download/install all the apps that are normally on a Lubuntu install (Chromium, Lubuntu Software Center, multimedia codecs, etc..)

The mini ISO, while it takes a little longer, is really a pretty nice way to install. It is a text based installer, so that might be a little intimidating to you. Like I said though, I should be around this weekend if you need some help.

IGF
I should be okay with the text based aspect of it. I was concerned about not having the "stuff" I need since I don't even know what goes into playing say a video or music other than the general term "codec". I was worried I'd need a shopping list of stuff to install. The Lubuntu extras option should be everything I need in one neat package, so now it seems really simple. I don't care how long it takes, 45 minutes or an hour vs 20 minutes is no big deal for me.

I found this. Does it look like a good guide to do the mini install?

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-t...n-non-pae.html

Old 04-11-2013, 04:40   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
I should be okay with the text based aspect of it. I was concerned about not having the "stuff" I need since I don't even know what goes into playing say a video or music other than the general term "codec". I was worried I'd need a shopping list of stuff to install. The Lubuntu extras option should be everything I need in one neat package, so now it seems really simple. I don't care how long it takes, 45 minutes or an hour vs 20 minutes is no big deal for me.

I found this. Does it look like a good guide to do the mini install?

http://www.webupd8.org/2012/05/how-t...n-non-pae.html
Yup, instructions look fine..

Also keep in mind... you'll need a "cabled" internet connection, until you get everything installed, then you can set up your wireless.

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 04-11-2013 at 04:40..
Old 04-11-2013, 16:05   #16
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Yup, instructions look fine..

Also keep in mind... you'll need a "cabled" internet connection, until you get everything installed, then you can set up your wireless.
Thanks. I'll have it on the desk next to the desk top computer I'll be using for instructions, so the router is under the desk.

My desktop upstairs will be a different situation. It's on a wifi adapter and it's pretty far to string an ethernet cable. Dragging it downstairs will be a bit of a pita. None of this is insermountable, I'm just a slug.

Old 04-11-2013, 17:28   #17
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
Whether that amount of memory is supported, is not the issue.. that is obviously the case.

The Live nd the Alternate Install ISO's, use the PAE Kernel on 32bit. This is why if your CPU does not support PAE, you can't use the normal ISO's for Ubuntu (it will fail to boot). How much RAM you have, is irrelevant. If your CPU does not support PAE, it will not boot.

If you have a CPU that does not have PAE support, you need to either use the mini ISO, or use the Lubuntu ISO. The Lubuntu ISO is fine, but as mentioned above, he wants LTS, and Lubuntu does not support LTS... so in this case (again, we're talking clean install here...) his only option would be to use the Mini ISO, and then install the LXDE Desktop on top of that.
The reason I say for 12.04 use the default kernel is because I believe it does not require a PAE capable CPU. It looks like the PAE kernel is the default kernel in 12.10 but not for 12.04.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetz.../UbuntuDesktop

Quote:
New Features in Ubuntu

There is no longer a traditional CD-sized image, DVD or alternate image, but rather a single 800MB Ubuntu image that can be used from USB or DVD. Users who previously installed using LVM or full-disk encryption via the alternate CD will find that these installation targets are supported by the consolidated image in 12.10.

Linux kernel 3.5.5

The Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal release includes the 3.5.0-17.28 Ubuntu Linux kernel which was based on the v3.5.5 upstream Linux kernel. This is an update from the 3.2.0-23.36 Ubuntu Linux kernel which shipped in Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Precise Pangolin and was based on the v3.2 upstream Linux kernel. Other notable changes with the Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal kernel include:

Transitioning of the i386 generic-pae flavor to become the generic flavor offering
Collapsing of the virtual flavor back into the generic flavor
Homogenizing the entire linux-meta package
Arrival of a new highbank arm server kernel flavor
Changing of the default scheduler from cfq to deadline
Packaging updates for signed kernels
Old 04-11-2013, 17:38   #18
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIockGuy24 View Post
The reason I say for 12.04 use the default kernel is because I believe it does not require a PAE capable CPU. It looks like the PAE kernel is the default kernel in 12.10 but not for 12.04.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetz.../UbuntuDesktop
12.04 it is at well. Ran into it a few times helping people install.
Old 04-11-2013, 17:49   #19
GIockGuy24
Bring M&M's

Quote:
12.04 it is at well. Ran into it a few times helping people install.
It looks like with 12.04 the PAE version is a, "flavor" and not the standard 32 bit version. The PAE flavor may have been downloaded in confusion.

Last edited by GIockGuy24; 04-11-2013 at 17:50..
GIockGuy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:31   #20
WiskyT
Malcontent

Attempt 1 fail. I hooked up a wired internet connection and booted up the mini ISO. I got the first screne "Installer Boot Menu", but the keyboard doesn't seem to have any effect. I hit "enter" or tab through the choices and nothing happens.