SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-28-2014, 13:06   #1
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Too much connected?

I read ChiefWPD's conundrum, and I'm sure his responses will help me. I already re-booted the modem and router. However, can I have too much connected. I have 1 desktop hardwired to the router then 3 kindles, 2 iphones, an ipod, LG TV and 2 laptops connected wireless. The router is a Netgear WNDR 3700, and I have the xfinity modem. I shut down the Apple stuff once or twice a week but that's it.
Should I get a bigger modem and router or just re-boot frequently?
Thx
Old 07-28-2014, 14:11   #2
JFrame

General -- I'm not familiar with your router, but I have a Netgear WNDR 4300 connected to an ancient Cox Communications cable modem. The attached devices are one desktop (hard-wired), three laptops, two cell phones, two Sony BluRay players, and four tablets (all different makes). So far -- knock on wood -- so good... And we were actually okay with the same devices on an 11-year-old router before it finally started going wonky on us -- so I'm thinking the number of devices is not an issue.

Of course, such things as the configuration of the home and the locations of the individual devices might make a difference also.

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:46   #3
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFrame View Post
General -- I'm not familiar with your router, but I have a Netgear WNDR 4300 connected to an ancient Cox Communications cable modem. The attached devices are one desktop (hard-wired), three laptops, two cell phones, two Sony BluRay players, and four tablets (all different makes). So far -- knock on wood -- so good... And we were actually okay with the same devices on an 11-year-old router before it finally started going wonky on us -- so I'm thinking the number of devices is not an issue.

Of course, such things as the configuration of the home and the locations of the individual devices might make a difference also.

I'm thinking you are absolutely correct. It's probably not the amount of things hooked up, It's re-booting the modem and router. Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-29-2014, 13:05   #4
JFrame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generalcarry View Post
I'm thinking you are absolutely correct. It's probably not the amount of things hooked up, It's re-booting the modem and router. Thanks for the reply.
No problem...Good luck to you!

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 13:23   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Most home routers, can support 200+ IP addresses... So.. Your not even close. We have a desktop, 2 laptops, 2 phones, Xbox 360, my flight Sim PC, cable box, and my NAS... and everything runs just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Ohub Campfire mobile app
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 22:38   #6
srhoades

I would flash your router's firmware with DD-WRT to make it much more stable and reliable.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:22   #7
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhoades View Post
I would flash your router's firmware with DD-WRT to make it much more stable and reliable.
While that may be a good plan if the stock firmware is lacking, it is not something I would recommend routinely. I ran ddwrt for a long time on previous routers, and it was never without issues. Even flashing the firmware can be very tricky if the router does not already support Linux firmware. I have a fully ddwrt capable router currently, and I don't run it. It doesn't offer me anything over stock that I would use, and my stock firmware has things that ddwrt doesn't. And these are things that I rely on.

Last edited by sputnik767; 07-30-2014 at 03:22..
sputnik767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 03:24   #8
sputnik767

Quote:
I read ChiefWPD's conundrum, and I'm sure his responses will help me. I already re-booted the modem and router. However, can I have too much connected. I have 1 desktop hardwired to the router then 3 kindles, 2 iphones, an ipod, LG TV and 2 laptops connected wireless. The router is a Netgear WNDR 3700, and I have the xfinity modem. I shut down the Apple stuff once or twice a week but that's it.
Should I get a bigger modem and router or just re-boot frequently?
Thx
I'm not sure what problem you're having. You have a decent router, so I am not worried about you having too many things connected. Why do you feel the need to reboot the router? Are you having slowdowns?
Old 07-30-2014, 10:31   #9
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
I'm not sure what problem you're having. You have a decent router, so I am not worried about you having too many things connected. Why do you feel the need to reboot the router? Are you having slowdowns?
My iPhone can't always download pictures or stories from the twitter news feeds and occasionally I'll get a red banner that says I'm not connected to the internet. My wife's laptop cannot connect to the web at times, and her mac air is one floor up and directly over the router. I re-booted modem/router 2 days ago and it "seems" as if the problems are solved.
I just now remembered that years ago when I felt I had to call comcast (xfinity), the reboot was the first thing I was told to try.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:17   #10
sputnik767

Quote:
My iPhone can't always download pictures or stories from the twitter news feeds and occasionally I'll get a red banner that says I'm not connected to the internet. My wife's laptop cannot connect to the web at times, and her mac air is one floor up and directly over the router. I re-booted modem/router 2 days ago and it "seems" as if the problems are solved.
I just now remembered that years ago when I felt I had to call comcast (xfinity), the reboot was the first thing I was told to try.
So, a couple of things come to mind. The first one is a crappy router. That one seems unlikely, your router seems to be a solid one. The second one is buggy firmware. You can check to see if there is an update available for your router. The third one is a router that is malfunctioning. Has your router been fine until recently, or is this an ongoing thing? And lastly, incompatibilities between your router and the network adapters of your devices.

I'll elaborate on the last one. I have the Asus RT-N66U router. It is a high-end router that retailed for $160 a couple years ago. I also run Samsung Android devices as well as Apple devices. For the longest time, my Samsung devices would drop the connection seemingly randomly, and it would take a reboot of the router to fix it. I traced the issue to my security settings. For some reason, there was an incompatibility between the wifi adapter in Samsung Galaxy devices and the wifi radio in the Asus router. This same radio is also used in other devices, including I believe D-Link. If I left the network open, I had no issues, and using WEP encryption seemed fine too. It was only WPA2 (which is the more secure protocol) that gave me issues. I did not seem to have this problem with my Macbook or my Windows PC that I had at the time. After a bunch of subsequent updates, the problems have completely resolved.

So my question is, do you have any devices that don't give you issues? Can you try running a weaker encryption protocol for a few days to see if your problem resolves? And see if there is updated firmware available. If all of those options do not work for you, my vote would be that your router is going bad. It's rare, but it can happen.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:56   #11
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

I forgot to add... When I was finding I had to reboot my router frequently... I discovered it was a problem with my modem. My modem was randomly connecting/disconnecting from my ISP, my devices would stay connected to the router.. but I'd have no internet access. Once the modem had regained it's connection, it would take a few minutes for the modem to reset itself (if I didn't do it manually) to the new IP it was getting from the ISP (IP's are not static on this service..). I thought for sure it was the router, and replaced it. Same exact problem with the new router, so I took the router back, and bought a new modem. Problem solved. Only thing, in hindsight I kinda wish I had bought a combo unit... next time I will.
Old 08-01-2014, 14:58   #12
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Every time I come here it cost me. My router has to be about 5 years old, and I have xfinity (Comcast) who is now charging $8 a month for modem rental. I didn't know they had combo's and maybe it's time to buy my own modem. Maybe that netgear r6300. How hard could it be to hook it up?

NETGEAR Smart WiFi Router AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300v2)
Old 08-01-2014, 15:29   #13
Chesafreak

I had a similar issue last year and I had to restart my cable modem and wifi router with increasing frequency. Eventually the cable company had to replace an amplifier or something like that where the cable connects to my home.

I've also seen this happen when the cable modem was going bad.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 19:49   #14
sputnik767

Quote:
Every time I come here it cost me. My router has to be about 5 years old, and I have xfinity (Comcast) who is now charging $8 a month for modem rental. I didn't know they had combo's and maybe it's time to buy my own modem. Maybe that netgear r6300. How hard could it be to hook it up?

NETGEAR Smart WiFi Router AC1750 Dual Band Gigabit (R6300v2)
Buy your own modem, those combo units are garbage. When I used to rent the combo unit from Comcast, I had it paired with my own router. When I moved, I ended up getting the Motorola SB6141 modem. Works perfectly with Comcast, cost about $60, and I get 60 Mb/s download with it. At $8 per month rental, I'll recover the cost in about 8 months.

Now, my sister uses the Comcast combo unit, with a 25 Mb/s download plan. The built-in router is so bad, it gets her about 18 Mb/s with the weakest security settings, and like 3 Mb/s with WPA2 security.

Last edited by sputnik767; 08-02-2014 at 19:50..
Old 08-03-2014, 12:40   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik767 View Post
Buy your own modem, those combo units are garbage. When I used to rent the combo unit from Comcast, I had it paired with my own router. When I moved, I ended up getting the Motorola SB6141 modem. Works perfectly with Comcast, cost about $60, and I get 60 Mb/s download with it. At $8 per month rental, I'll recover the cost in about 8 months.

Now, my sister uses the Comcast combo unit, with a 25 Mb/s download plan. The built-in router is so bad, it gets her about 18 Mb/s with the weakest security settings, and like 3 Mb/s with WPA2 security.
Slight correction.. the combo units service providers give you, are garbage. There's a few that are really good that are not provided by service providers, because they are expensive.

I have xfinity as well. When my last modem went out (it was some cheap model I got at Best Buy... should have known better.) I picked up this one at Best Buy and I've had zero problems.

In hindsight, I wish I had gotten a combo unit. If my router goes out, I probably will. The key thing, is really dive into the specs on the item. When I was looking at a combo unit last time.. I found one that only supported Wireless A/B... no G/N. How long have those two standards been out? So before you buy, download their manuals, read the specs, etc.. so you know what you're getting.

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 08-03-2014 at 12:44..
Old 08-03-2014, 23:21   #16
sputnik767

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
Slight correction.. the combo units service providers give you, are garbage. There's a few that are really good that are not provided by service providers, because they are expensive.

I have xfinity as well. When my last modem went out (it was some cheap model I got at Best Buy... should have known better.) I picked up this one at Best Buy and I've had zero problems.

In hindsight, I wish I had gotten a combo unit. If my router goes out, I probably will. The key thing, is really dive into the specs on the item. When I was looking at a combo unit last time.. I found one that only supported Wireless A/B... no G/N. How long have those two standards been out? So before you buy, download their manuals, read the specs, etc.. so you know what you're getting.
Yep, that's the same modem that I got. Works perfectly with Comcast. But I agree with you regarding the cable company provided combo units.
Old 08-06-2014, 14:03   #17
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Quote:

Still losing connectivity. I've decided to buy the modem you and Sputnik767 bought. One thing I'm not totally sure about, is this a modem/router or just a modem? Your last paragraph confused me. I assume this is the modem only (no LED light for wireless that I can see) so just what did you mean by combo? I'm guessing instead of the 2 units, you would but 1 unit to do both jobs? I think I just explained it to me
Old 08-06-2014, 14:32   #18
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Still losing connectivity. I've decided to buy the modem you and Sputnik767 bought. One thing I'm not totally sure about, is this a modem/router or just a modem? Your last paragraph confused me. I assume this is the modem only (no LED light for wireless that I can see) so just what did you mean by combo? I'm guessing instead of the 2 units, you would but 1 unit to do both jobs? I think I just explained it to me
It's a modem only.

What I was saying, was if my router ever goes out, I"ll probably go ahead and buy a QUALITY modem/router combo unit. The comment was made earlier that modem/router combos are junk.. and they aren't all junk.. it's just the ones typically handed out by providers, are junk.

That modem is good (or at least I've been happy with it) If your issue is your modem, I would anticipate it will be solved when you connect it.
Old 08-06-2014, 14:49   #19
Chesafreak

A lot of things can cause this issue, including your router or cable modem going bad, bad network cable(s), bad coax cable, a bad cable splitter, a loose connection, too many splitters in your cable degrading the signal, a bad amplifier inline where the internet connection comes into your house, and more I haven't thought of. I've seen every one of these cause home internet and wifi problems over the years.

We even had one of the firm's partners get upset with our IT department because "something's wrong with the VPN" and he kept getting disconnected, while his wife and kids were able to keep browsing the internet. The reality of his situation is that internet html requests when you load web pages are momentary and not usually an open connection. The web page gets downloaded, you don't notice there's a momentary disconnection of your internet unless you're streaming audio. When you have a momentary network disconnection while connected to a VPN, your VPN application complains, while the web browser will just take a couple of extra seconds to load the content. After he kept insisting it wasn't his home internet causing the issue, we went to his house to find that the ethernet cable plugged into his router wasn't snapped into place, and it was causing network errors that weren't apparent to his family.

You can hire a professional to come out to your house and fix it for you, or you can methodically check every connection, eliminate excess cable splitters, replace cables, and finally, replace your cable modem until the issue is resolved. I prefer to check or replace one item at a time and test, otherwise you'll never know what fixed it.

You definitely do not have too many devices connected to the internet in your home. We have an office with 150+ people accessing the internet over the same type of cable modem you would use in your home.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 08-06-2014 at 14:54..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 15:31   #20
Generalcarry
NRA Member

Quote:
It's a modem only.

What I was saying, was if my router ever goes out, I"ll probably go ahead and buy a QUALITY modem/router combo unit. The comment was made earlier that modem/router combos are junk.. and they aren't all junk.. it's just the ones typically handed out by providers, are junk.

That modem is good (or at least I've been happy with it) If your issue is your modem, I would anticipate it will be solved when you connect it.
Got it, thanks.