SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 11-02-2005, 14:40   #21
Ragin Cajun

Quote:
Originally posted by Jtemple
Agreed. I have 3 of them. I have 710 GB of storage in my house. That's plenty. External storage is so cheap now; I picked up a 160 GB drive at CompUSA for $40. Another $30 buys you a USB 2.0 enclosure.

What software do you use to "mirror" the entire internal HD to the external HD?
Old 11-02-2005, 15:04   #22
Cochese
CLM Number 209
Most mackinest

Quote:
Originally posted by Ragin Cajun
What software do you use to "mirror" the entire internal HD to the external HD?
;f

I think you are referring to an image.

I used Dantz Retrospect. It came with my Western Digital ext drive.

Old 11-16-2005, 19:53   #23
Jtemple
Geek

I use Norton Ghost to image the OS partitions on my 4 computers.

I have a 250 gig drive that I cart around with me full of music, software, etc. I use an XCopy bat that I wrote to scatter that data around on 3 other drives.
Jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 11:12   #24
wrenrj1

I have a coworker who's a professional photographer that had his external hard drive go bad. I cost him somewhere in the neighborhood of $3K just to get his pics back. He had not choice as he had a couple weddings etc. that people had paid for. He now has dual external hard drives as back up. This whole mess cost him over $6k when it was said and done.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:18   #25
nikegolf13
bumpy knuckles

Send a message via AIM to nikegolf13
I have an older 50gig external that I back all my pictures and music up on, along with burning a lot of it to CDRs. I feel somewhat more secure knowing that it's on the external. Although, the thing does get to making some real wild clicks and snaps sometimes! ;a
Old 09-11-2006, 19:02   #26
DragonRider

I currently have 500GB in a Raid 1 config on my file server and soon I will have a Standalone NAS with 1.2TB for my files that will be primary use with a back up on my current server for critical stuff. Not to mention the 2 USB 320 GB's I store in the same and alternate everyother week with backups.

I'm transfereing to this NAS if your interested to get away from having to run multiple servers in the house. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822329006
Weel worth for future expandability in the house I feel.

John
Top Gun #6121 Sub Club #121 .40 Club #6121 Kahr Club #121
DragonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 00:57   #27
oldironman

Quote:
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Free back up program

http://www.simplyeng.com/
Will something like this automatically know which files to back up? I know I need to pick my own documents and pictures to keep, but what about other critical stuff, like the registry. Do any of these backup programs have a basic set of files they copy or is it all entirely up to the individual to know it all? I also want to backup my "Favorites" and my "Outlook" email addresses, but not sure where the address book is, or what format to use. Is there a good website that describes all this stuff? Thanks,
Mark
oldironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 14:56   #28
Washington,D.C.

Quote:
Originally posted by oldironman
Will something like this automatically know which files to back up? I know I need to pick my own documents and pictures to keep, but what about other critical stuff, like the registry. Do any of these backup programs have a basic set of files they copy or is it all entirely up to the individual to know it all? I also want to backup my "Favorites" and my "Outlook" email addresses, but not sure where the address book is, or what format to use. Is there a good website that describes all this stuff? Thanks,
Mark
Wow that was two years ago. I don't use Windows much anymore. Here is the webpage with info on the latest version.

http://simplyeng.com/seb/

Another fairly new free one is from Comodo. Some people don't care much for the looks of the interface but claim it works well. I haven't tried it but I use Comodo Anti-malware, antivirus and firewall. Their Anti-malware program is one of the best free protection for Windows.

http://www.comodo.com/products/free_products.html

http://www.backup.comodo.com/
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 19:21   #29
oldironman

Quote:
Originally posted by Washington,D.C.
Wow that was two years ago. I don't use Windows much anymore. Here is the webpage with info on the latest version.

http://simplyeng.com/seb/

Another fairly new free one is from Comodo. Some people don't care much for the looks of the interface but claim it works well. I haven't tried it but I use Comodo Anti-malware, antivirus and firewall. Their Anti-malware program is one of the best free protection for Windows.

http://www.comodo.com/products/free_products.html

http://www.backup.comodo.com/
Thanks a bunch Wash. I will have to give them a try.
oldironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 16:59   #30
Glockster35
Silvrst8hlstr

Send a message via AIM to Glockster35 Send a message via MSN to Glockster35 Send a message via Yahoo to Glockster35
I learned this lesson many years ago, to a much lesser degree, I had nothing overly important on the drive, but it was still a hassle! I had no backup of my information.

Today, I keep a external 500 Gig harddrive (USB) set aside to keep things I feel are important. All add-on programs (downloaded or otherwise) are stored there to quickly re-load my operating system, which I still do about every 6 months.

I back up this external drive everytime I make changes to the drive.

I do not know how best to protect the information you have stored/lost, sounds like VERY important work related stuff. You might want to consider some on-line storage spot for this type of stuff, on top of having it on an external harddrive stored in a fire resistant safe in your home or workplace! I would think with important documents like that, you would want to back them up daily, or at a minimum weekly!

Hope all turns out for you!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Glockster35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 03:22   #31
d3athp3nguin

Unfortunately, most people rely on hard drives to work like they rely on their plumbing to work. Everything is sunshine and kittens, until they flush one day and stuff comes up instead of down...

I work tech support at college, and I have lost track of how many support tickets we have received that involve grad students losing their dissertations because they didn't back up two years of work and $45k tuition onto a freaking thumb drive. I learned from an early age not to trust anything that is stored magnetically on a disk that spins at 7800 RPMs. Laptops especially- one good drop and you're toast.

Even if you're cheap, go online and spend the $20 to get a decent 1 or 2 gig flash stick. That should be enough space for the essential office documents. Don't forget to back up your web browser profile, since you probably rely on those bookmarks more than you think. Google it to find out how, its usually as simple as copying a folder.

Last edited by d3athp3nguin; 12-23-2007 at 04:53..
d3athp3nguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 00:15   #32
blackopsglock
smckma

IVe heard that if you have a hard drive that seems to be toasted,,that you can get a external hard drive case and set it up at the computer,,put the hard drive in the freezer overnight and then stick it into the external drive.

Theory on this is that you can grab some of the important items before the drive over heats.

IVe never done it myself but I know a buddy who has and was able to get some very valuable photos back.

They said you were a great asset. . .I told them they were off by two letters

Warning: If this post contains words that are not spelled correctly,Correct the speeling as you sea phit.
blackopsglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 10:22   #33
djf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackopsglock View Post
IVe heard that if you have a hard drive that seems to be toasted,,that you can get a external hard drive case and set it up at the computer,,put the hard drive in the freezer overnight and then stick it into the external drive.

Theory on this is that you can grab some of the important items before the drive over heats.

IVe never done it myself but I know a buddy who has and was able to get some very valuable photos back.
Might help for mechanical failures. Won't help a bit if the media itself is damaged.
djf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 17:01   #34
mudder
2nd or Bust

For the Mac Heads out there: If you're using Leopard, make sure you keep your own backup besides time machine. iMsafe is a great program for backups; it only updates data that's changed since last time
mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 09:23   #35
ClydeG19

I lost some irreplaceable pics when my hd crashed a year and a half ago. That hurt more than the programs and stuff. It's a pita to dl and reinstall all that, but it sucks more to lose pics, mp3's, documents, etc.

I just backed my files up onto a 8gb jump drive yesterday. Eventually I'll outgrow that, but it'll do for now. I don't know how people have that much stuff on their comp that you fill up 120gb external hard drives.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 21:14   #36
andybob
Do Work

I am pretty sure I want to get a back-up drive but I am not sure what to look for. My 35 GB drive on my Dell is about full and I just about had a system crash and I want to back it all up now.

So I am just curious on what brands to look for. I would like something that is simple and easy to back-up to. It doesn't have to be super-huge either, I am thinking 120-150 GB. Size is a concern but if I can get a good deal on something that is 120 GB I will get it. Thanks to any responses.

Andybob

andybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 14:56   #37
Gun Shark

Send a message via AIM to Gun Shark Send a message via MSN to Gun Shark Send a message via Yahoo to Gun Shark

I have a 250gig Western digital passport drive. works like a charm I have lost nothing on the drive and i reaccomend western digital to anyone.
Gun Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 10:17   #38
Ragin Cajun

It takes multiple means to be safe. I have RAID 1 on the computer, FOUR external hard drives that I rotate, monthly dumps to DVD, AND I use Carbonite.

My business in on that computer, I absoultely san NOT afford to loose my data files!!!

RC
Old 10-08-2008, 22:56   #39
jb7706

I'm kinda shocked that no one is using an online backup solution. USB drives are fine but what happens when your PC is taken out by lightning, fire or is stolen? Your backups are gone too. Gove some consideration to some of the offerings available. The one I use is http://www.mozy.com. THey have a free plan for the cheapskates. Data security is not a problem as your data is encryped in transit and wile stored at the vendor data center. You can choose your own encryption key to ensure that only you can ever read your data.

Plus if you are ever remote and need a file you can go online and "restore" your file to the PC you are on at the moment.

Take a look and give it some consideration. You will love it when you most need it.
jb7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 21:01   #40
geminicricket
NRA Life member

I'm a noob to this whole backing up business but at this time I'm about halfway to having a well defended system.

This is like my 7th computer. I've been buying a new one every 2 or 3 years since my first, which did not have a hard drive. I've neglected maintenance on all of them.

For months this box had been whining. Last night it shut down. Drat! Again.
I went to bed and this afternoon I turned on the computer to see what would happen. It booted. Yeah!

So, I turned it off and went to Best Buy to get a can of compressed air and a mass storage unit.

After cleaning it I felt so proud that I went back and bought 2G of DDR1 RAM to upgrade it a bit.

So, now it's got 2 G ram, 512G of hard drive, and a backup storage unit, and is making no noise. Better than new. For now.

And, it's backed up.

geminicricket is offline   Reply With Quote