Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:42   #1
The Goose

Martial Arts and the Shooting Scene; so similar

I started martial arts training in 1972 and got into the shooting scene about 1.5 years ago. I am often struck by the similarities. Has this struck anyone else? Both have many different styles and people take them up for many different reasons. At the pinnacle of either endeavor are some very dangerous individuals. At the novice level there are a multitude of benefits even for the less then dedicated. A real lot of very nice and helpful individuals inhabit both worlds. Serious training in either or both helps to build self confidence and a feeling of some safety in a hostile world. To get good requires dedication, self discipline and practice, practice, practice.

The above are all pretty much positives, but there are also a lot of shared negatives. Arrogant, self proclaimed experts who gain status and prestige by denigrating others. Egotistical instructors with almost cult like followers. Dozens of magazines, books, videos etc. espousing the latest fad and encouraging the gullible to buy, buy, buy. Short cuts to success, at a price.

Then there are also the debates. New vs. old. Traditional vs. eclectic. Sport vs. self defense. Training vs. instinct.

Similar legal and ethical concerns. When to use force? How much force is excessive? When does self defense become agression? Is a first strike justified and when?

I am sure there are dozens more. So chime in with your thoughts.
The Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 05:07   #2
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Send a message via AIM to Roundeyesamurai Send a message via Yahoo to Roundeyesamurai
Like I say, "Only so many ways to skin a cat".
Roundeyesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 14:31   #3
TED

I agree with your assessment of the situation but have ntohing of import to add.

TED
TED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 09:29   #4
bluemeanie
Lospeedhidrag

Send a message via Yahoo to bluemeanie

I've been shooting for 20+ years, but only became interested in self-defense a couple of years ago. I've read and taken to heart a lot of bad info from both forums and books, then applied a little life-experience, good advice from people I know and speak with face-to-face, and used those inputs to tune my personal poop-filter.

I've gone from customized 1911's to customized Glocks to a plain-Jane G30 for carry. I've gone from seeking the latest and greatest as-seen-on-tv fighting art(and not finding it. One blessing from living in a small town) to attempting a very technical and "busy" system to training in an art that is pretty well distilled.

I've come to realize that some things are popular simply because of good marketing, but they only endure if they really have merit. I reckon that, like me, most people can be taken in, but no for long.
Phillipians 3:12-14
bluemeanie is offline   Reply With Quote