GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-03-2005, 14:58   #1
Nalapombu

WEIRD Problem With System...Any Ideas???

Hey all,

Today I had a problem I haven't seen for a LONG time, at least back in the Windows 95 early days.
Last night I was on here LATE, like I usually am. Everything was fine, no problems glitches or anything. I go to bed and leave the system on like I always do. Nothing was done different that what I normally do.
I had some things to do today so I couldn't get on my system until just now. I have it set for my screen saver to come on after 5 minutes of inactivity and the monitor to power off after 30 minutes. Naturally the screen was black. I grab the mouse and shake it, but NOTHING happens. I try it again, NOTHING. I try hitting a couple of keys, NOTHING. I try ctrl-alt-Del, NOTHING. Finally I reach down and hit the power button and still nothing was happening. The monitor was still off and nothing was running on the computer as far as I could hear. I tried all of this stuff again with no result so the only thing I could do was check for a cable out or something. Nothing wrong there. I eventually flip the POWER switch on my surge strip and turned everything OFF. After I turned it ON everything went back to normal. Here I am now with everything looking fine with no evidence of any problems at all.
Now I don't know what will happen AFTER a while when the monitor powers off again, I'll just have to wait and see.
Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on here? I would love to know what caused this so I can stop it from happening again.
Thanks

Nala
Old 05-03-2005, 16:20   #2
Soujurn
Deus Diligo USA

Perhaps a momentary power outage? I've had this happen to me before. It isn't out long enough to cause any evidence it happened except it was just long enough for the computer to shut down. A UPS or (uninteruptable power supply),would stop this from happening again.
Soujurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 21:13   #3
fastvfr
Ancient Tech

Send a message via Yahoo to fastvfr
Agreed.

Too many people seem to think that a UPS is an optional piece of equipment.

Tain't so, McGee!!

Any PC worth more than $100 deserves a decent, non-switching $50 UPS.

Feel free to run your cheaper PC's with 'Surge Protectors' that do nothing but provide you with an auxilliary power switch...;g ;Q ;P
fastvfr is offline   Reply With Quote