Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-07-2005, 16:33   #1
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

passed stage 1

Well it only took close to 12 years to get around to taking the test. But I passed the tech. exam today!

The studying has been a blast. I've learned a great deal. And the same great teacher who tought our last class is planning on doing a general class in a month or so!

Thanks for all the help! I asked a few questions in here and got some great answers!

-Historian-
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 17:23   #2
00Buck

passed stage 1

Congratulations! I passed mine 35 years ago and still remember waiting forever to get the license so I could get on the air. Now you can check the FCC database and it should be up there in just a few days. Enjoy, and good luck with the General exam.
BIG DAWG #1251
BLACK RIFLE CLUB #1251
00Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 19:54   #3
GSD17
Thread Killer

Congrats! I passed my General about 6 months ago, I HAVE TO GET MY CODE OUT OF THE WAY! I am going to be so ticked off at myself if I lose my General Therory for not doing my code.
G17,G17L,G17R,G17T,G19cutaway,G20,G21,G22,G22,G22P,G23,G26,G27,G31,G35,G37,G42
GSD17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 07:01   #4
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Thanks guys! The hardest part seems to be finding the motivation to do this on your own. It really helps if you have someone willing to teach a class because of the structure it provides.

I'll let you guys know when I get my radio working. Perhaps my first contact can be with a glock talk member.

-Historian-
Old 05-09-2005, 16:01   #5
lomfs24

Send a message via AIM to lomfs24 Send a message via Yahoo to lomfs24
I have always thought it would be neat to make a contact with a GlockTalk member. I am on IRLP node 3692 and am around most evenings. Callsign is KE7DTO. I also am a new ham just passed mine a couple weeks ago and just got my ticket in the mail. The callsign was in the FCC database exactly 7 days after the test.

Congrats on the new license.
KE7DTO
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
lomfs24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 16:12   #6
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally posted by lomfs24
I have always thought it would be neat to make a contact with a GlockTalk member. I am on IRLP node 3692 and am around most evenings. Callsign is KE7DTO. I also am a new ham just passed mine a couple weeks ago and just got my ticket in the mail. The callsign was in the FCC database exactly 7 days after the test.

Congrats on the new license.
KE7DTO
Lom it's good to know there's someone else into this that's new. I can't even begin to express to people how much I've learned about radios and electronics in the last few weeks. This has got to be only the very tip of the ice-cub so to speak.

What are you using as a radio? My old Drake is working. But until I upgrade to general the freqs. are out of my technician class range.
The wife says I should just go ahead and upgrade to a set that covers 440-6 meter.

-Historian-
Old 05-09-2005, 16:23   #7
lomfs24

I have a Yaesu VX-5R handheld that covers 6Meter, 2Meter and 70cm. I have found that I don't use the 6 meter much and I also found that I don't use the handheld that much at all. The distances here are so great that most of the time it just doesn't really work. It also chews up a battery pretty fast.

For a mobile I have a Yaesu FT-2400H which has a bad mic at the moment. I will have to replace the mic in that one. I also have a Yaesu FT-8500 that I am moderately happy with. The nice thing about it is that it has a crossband repeat function. The downside is that the 8500 is the redheaded stepchild of Yaesu. There is not much support for it.

I am looking to replace the handheld. I bought it on eBay and kinda got burned on it. I am also looking to get a new mobile. I have looking at the Yaesu FT-8900R or the Kenwood TM-D700A. I am kind of leaning towards the Kenwood even though it is about an extra $100. The 8900 has the 10 meter band that I can't use yet and I don't use the 6 meter band much. Plus the 8900 Yaesu doesn't have an alpha-numeric display where the Kenwood does.

Just my thoughts on rigs. I don't have a base station yet but I may morph the 2400 into a base station once I get a mic for it.
The simple believeth every word: but the prudent man looketh well to his going. ~Proverbs 14:15
Old 05-09-2005, 17:04   #8
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Loms,

Sounds like you've got quite a bit of gear there. Any chance you're going to try to upgrade to a general as you said distance is an issue for you on the freqs. that you have?

This is the model I was looking at getting.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/1857.html

It looks like it would do just about everything a person could want. And since it does 10 meters and above it gives you a great reason to study up for the general test. It also covers a lot of the shorter local freqs.

Yeasu also makes a mobile that puts out Fifty Watts of power on 10 meters and lower. It of course downs the power on small freqs.

I kinda go switch back on both models. I figure the portable would cost just as much to use at home as the base model would.

What are you guys using for antenas? I've got to figure out how to put one in the yard that doesn't get in the way and covers 10 meters and lower and won't bother the neighbors.

-Historian-

Last edited by Historian; 05-09-2005 at 18:54..
Old 05-09-2005, 18:09   #9
lomfs24

I am planning on upgrading to a general. The main reason I am looking to get new stuff is just that. The handheld I have leaves a bit to be desired. If it gets bumped a little the display goes away. Plus it eats up batteries like crazy and I am worried about being out in a SAR call and run out of batteries. I have the optional AA battery holder for it but on AA's it only transmits on low power.

The 2400 has a broken mic and it will cost me $70 bucks to replace a mic on a $100 radio. And the 8500 has a whine in the VHF side that I am not that happy with. So it's mostly just to get better equipment.

But I am planning on getting a general license as soon as I can master the code.

The one problem that I see with the FT-857D is that it doesn't appear to do a crossband repeat function. That would be important in the way I use a radio.... or anticipate using a radio. I plan on using the crossband repeat function to get to a repeater with a handheld in an area where that would normally not be possible.
Old 05-09-2005, 18:51   #10
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

We have equipment issues in common. The hand helds sound idea for SAR work. The range dwarfs what my radio could when I was a police officer. Granted that was a while ago and some of the newer radios my friends are using can carry quite a long distance.

To be frank about it a hand held would have been very nice in some of the national forests we've worked in. Deep, dark and far away from a regular signal.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catal...xvrs/0890.html

This is the other option I was looking at 50 watts at 10 meters and lower. This looks like one heck of a radio. But it's almost the cost of the bigger desktop one.

This one does do cross band.

-Historian-
Old 05-09-2005, 19:19   #11
lomfs24

That is one of my options, the 8900. The downside to it is it does not have an alpha-numeric display. And when you have a mind like a steel seive like I do, the labled display is a real benifit. If you aren't needing the 10 or 6 meter look at the Kenwood TM-D700A. They are a bit more expensive but come with a boat load more features. If you are seriously looking at the Yaesu FT-8900R take a look at HRO. www.hamradio.com Their price is a bit lower.
The other downside to the 8900 is the extremely wide band coverage. What kind of an antenna is in production that would effectively cover 10 meters to 70cm. I know they make quadband antennas but they are ungodly looking and it makes me wonder exactly how good they really are. The other option would be to run multiple antennas with a duplexer in the feedline. It's an option but may be more of a headache than it's worth.
Old 05-09-2005, 19:22   #12
EUPHER49

Quote:
The 2400 has a broken mic and it will cost me $70 bucks to replace a mic on a $100 radio. And the 8500 has a whine in the VHF side that I am not that happy with. So it's mostly just to get better equipment.

If you have access to a multimeter, you could check for broken wires in the cord, mic and connector. There's a good chance that this is the problem and you can spend that $70 on something else.....

-- E. F. Nine
EUPHER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 19:26   #13
lomfs24

Quote:
Originally posted by EUPHER49
If you have access to a multimeter, you could check for broken wires in the cord, mic and connector. There's a good chance that this is the problem and you can spend that $70 on something else.....
It is just coming back from a reputable radio shop here locally. The "old guy" tore the mic apart and poured over the schematics and came to the conclusion that it is one of two tiny caps in the mic. They could fix it, MAYBE, but it would probably cost me more in shop time and parts to find out IF it MIGHT work. So I decided to scrap it.

Is there a way to test a cap while it is still in the circuit?
Old 05-09-2005, 20:30   #14
EUPHER49

Quote:
Is there a way to test a cap while it is still in the circuit?
It depends where it is in the circuit. Generally, no. Testing in circuit would probably reveal a shorted cap only. Caps are pretty cheap and you may be able to find a replacement at Radio Shack and try replacing them yourself. If you have access to another mic you may be able to rewire the connector to get the correct pin out for your Yaesu. I'm not sure what kind of connector your rig has but if it's a 4 or 8 pin this site might help.

http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Techni...ng/index.shtml

-- E. F. Nine
EUPHER49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 09:39   #15
martho

Historian:

Congrats on the new ticket!
martho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 11:26   #16
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Thanks Martho.

We're lucky the guy who taught the technician class at our local community college is starting a code class in 2 weeks. Talk about lucky. It's much easier to learn in an structured environment.

He's planning on doing a general class license for those of us who've managed to pass the code.

We also have a field day in about a month and that's going to be a banaza of learning.

KI4KEA <- now a ticket holder!

-Historian-