Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:35   #1
Trebuchet
Sláinte !

Thinking about the Rebel XT

Anyone have advice, opinion, facts?

It looks like a great camera. Nice price for a digital SLR too.

All my lenses for my rebel g will work on it too.

;c
Wheelhouse #475; Rimfire Club #475; Niner's #475; Black Rifle #475; Walther #475
Trebuchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 22:01   #2
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

Re: Thinking about the Rebel XT

Quote:
Originally posted by Trebuchet
All my lenses for my rebel g will work on it too.
Sounds like you have your answer. ^c

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 20:31   #3
goblue

Re: Re: Thinking about the Rebel XT

I just took my Rebel 300 back to Costco after a year. A good camera, but the XT seems much better. Won't have it for a couple weeks, but am pretty excited. It was a hard decision, the 20d was only $350 more (both included the kit lens).
goblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:57   #4
fakename

Re: Re: Re: Thinking about the Rebel XT

Quote:
Originally posted by goblue
It was a hard decision, the 20d was only $350 more (both included the kit lens).
Agreed, I know exactly what you mean, I was also in turmoil. They all have the same 8.2mp CMOS. In the end the only major perk I could see for the 20d was the fact it does 5fps as opposed to the XT that has 3fps.
fakename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 08:00   #5
goblue

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thinking about the Rebel XT

Quote:
Originally posted by fakename
Agreed, I know exactly what you mean, I was also in turmoil. They all have the same 8.2mp CMOS. In the end the only major perk I could see for the 20d was the fact it does 5fps as opposed to the XT that has 3fps.
Actually, from what I understand,the CMOS is different but the image processor is the same. The picture quality is near identical, though. I agree the frame speed is the only major difference, in addition to the size. The Digi Rebel was a bit big for my bag, but the grip was comfortable. I hope the XT is not too small. The 20d is probably more natural.

At the end of the day, I think i will take the $350 delta and put it into a decent walking around lens. I am torn on that one too. An 18-125 Sigma is probably where I am looking, but the Canon IS seems nice. Of course the 18-300 is appealing, but may be too much of a sacrafice on the high-end of the zooom (too soft).

I wish Costco sold lenses. Their return policy is unbeatable and way better than the manufacture's warranty.
goblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:31   #6
Sulaco

Entirely different sensor than the 20D. My money would be on the 20D if for no other reason than the too small body of the XT. I have big hands.
Old 05-11-2005, 18:41   #7
hwyhobo

I understand there is also a difference in how the XT locks up the mirror vs. the 20D. On the XT it is quicker, and it is automatically released after each shot. On 20D it takes some fumbling with menus, but what I don't know is whether the mirror stays put (locked) until released, or whether it releases itself automatically after each shot. I would much prefer "stays put" (although I will freely admit that for many applications the XT way is more convenient). Anyone with 20D can check that out?
hwyhobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 17:17   #8
Mild Bill

I ended up getting the 20D... Mother of God!

It's a solid alloy frame, and bigger...
More what I'm used to after shooting with the A2E and Elan IIe for years...

I'm even getting the vertical grip with extra battery power...

I set out to get the XT, but for me, it was too small...
That's a plus for millions of people...

;c
Big Dawg #154
Mild Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 10:07   #9
AZ ERIC

I got Canon's original digital Rebel for my wife because she was complaining how heavy my EOS 1V is and I didn't like the idea of her using my baby.

She borrowed my 550ex flash and bumped the flash on something while it was mounted on the Rebel. I know it wasn't a hard bump because I was watching her as she did it. Half of the flash mount was pried off the camera. It's a very flimsy camera. If you can afford the difference and can stand the extra weight, get the 20d.
AZ ERIC is offline   Reply With Quote