Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-16-2005, 11:01   #1
patton117

Military History

Hello, I am new to Glock Talk and am a history buff. I have read all of Stephen Ambrose's Books (GREAT Author), and am looking for advise on a new Military History author. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-16-2005, 21:33   #2
84S

Re: Military History

Quote:
Originally posted by patton117
Hello, I am new to Glock Talk and am a history buff. I have read all of Stephen Ambrose's Books (GREAT Author), and am looking for advise on a new Military History author. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Take a look at Hampton Sides's "Ghost Soldiers". It's a great read.
84S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 16:22   #3
PaulBk
Grumpy Grandpa

It depends on what you like. W.E.B. Griffin has a ton of books:

Brotherhood of War series
The Corps series
Badge of Honor series (cop)

Each series has between 7-10 novels. His writing is not everyone. Great characters, not much action. His attention to military history and detail is pretty good. I have read them all and enjoyed them tremendously. Give them a try...

-PB
Old 05-20-2005, 21:21   #4
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

That's really an open ended question considering how broad the topic of military history is.

My suggestion, as a WWII nut, is to start with some first hand accounts.

If you like Ambrose's Band of Brothers you might like to know that Parachute Infantry : An American Paratrooper's Memoir of D-Day and the Fall of the Third Reich by David Kenyon Webstern was written by one the "Band of Brothres.

Also Don Burgett's 4 book series on his adventures in WWII is a priceless body of work that belongs in our national archives.

Roll Me Over by RAYMOND GANTTER is another fine book. I really enjoyed this one because of the quality of the writing. He served with the 4th ID.

If you survive by George Wilson is a great book as well. These are just a few of the books I've enjoyed in the last few years.

Like I said...when it comes to history you can study just about anything. Just thought I'd follow on your theme regarding WWII.

-Historian-
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:54   #5
RBR

John Keegan is a pretty good & prolific author. Read "The Face of Battle : A Study of Agincourt, Waterloo, and the Somme". Very good book comparing/contrasting the human effects,technology,fighting styles,results etc. from different ages of warfare.

Max Hastings is also good too.
Old 06-30-2005, 22:03   #6
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Here's some good books in my collection. These are all first hand accounts.

War in the Boats by Rhue
Wahoo by RADM O'kaine
Take her deep by ADM Gaslitan
War in the Deep by Hoyt
Batdfish by Lowder/Scott
Bowfin by Hoyt
Clear the Bridge by RADM O'kaine
U 505 by ADM Gallery

Heaven and Hell by Poppel
Iron Coffins by Werner
Steel Boats, Iron Hearts, by Goebeler
Uboat Commander by Kramer
Soldat by Von Luck
Forgotten Solider by Segair (contraversial book but very well written)
Blood Red Snow Koschorrek
Black Idelwise by Voss

Currahee by Burget
Seven Roads to Hell by Burget
Beyond the Rhine by Burget
The Road to Arnham by Burget
Parachute Infantry by Webster
Simple Sounds of Freedom by Taylor
Fighting with the Screaming Eagles by Bowen
If you survive by Wilson
Company Commander by MacDonald
Baa Ba Black Sheep by Boyington
A General's Life by Bradley
Goodbye darkness by Manchester
Helmet for my Pillow by Leckie
With the old breed by Sledge
Roll me Over in the Clover by Gantter

History rules!

-Historian-
Old 07-19-2005, 16:56   #7
nerfman

WWII:

Duty - Bob Greene
Another River, Another Town - John Irwin
Goodbye Darkness - William Manchester
The Last Enemy - Richard Hillary
Presumed Dead - Beirne Lay
Samurai! - Saburo Sakai
Serenade To The Big Bird - Bert Stiles
Clear The Bridge - Richard O'Kane

VietNam:

The Things They Carried - Tim O'Brien
Into The Green - Cherokee Paul McDonald
nerfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 18:41   #8
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Looking at this list reminds me of how much I love books. I can't imagine a life without them. I know some people who never read for pleasure. It's sad.

Very sad. They miss out on learning, laughing, crying, the entire gambit of life. You can find it in books.

Goodbye Darkness has the single funniest three pages in the history of the second world war. The scene where he tries to lose his virginity before shipping off.

-Historian-
Old 07-20-2005, 17:19   #9
nerfman

I couldn't agree more. Mark Twain said that a man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

I average about 3 books a month and at that pace I have 12 years worth of unread books.
nerfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 19:51   #10
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Nerfman,

We had a conversation today at work about the digital age. One of the guys I work with spoke well of his palm communicator.

I asked him...if on a cold night he would like to warm his feet by a nice fire, brandy in hand, and read from an electronic book. He said he would love to...as it was warm...and he could go from page to page repeatedly and electronically. His electronic book could hold hundreds of books.

I think he's lost his humanity. There is a comforting feel to a book in your hands than can never be replaced by electronic means.

At least...not to the bibliophile.

-Historian-
Old 07-22-2005, 16:12   #11
DonGlock26

Anything by Victor David Hanson.^c

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 15:55   #12
supersixth

Second the opinion on Ghost Soldiers - excellent book.

I also recommend Enemy at the Gates by William Craig. A fine book about the battle at Stalingrad. Much better than the movie that came out a few years back.
supersixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 22:41   #13
ls

I recommend a couple of works by B. H. Liddell Hart. His book "Strategy" is very good as is the edited work "The Rommel Papers". This is a collection of Rommel's letters and diaries.
ls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 19:14   #14
Glock19xdsc

"Memoirs of the Second World War" abridged version or
"The Second World War" six volume set by Winston S. Churchill.
Glock19xdsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 19:54   #15
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Quote:
Originally posted by ls
I recommend a couple of works by B. H. Liddell Hart. His book "Strategy" is very good as is the edited work "The Rommel Papers". This is a collection of Rommel's letters and diaries.
Both are great works. BH Liddell Hart was one of the great thinkers of this type of work.

His interviews with the German generals after WWII was compiled into "The German Generals Talk."

Very interesting read.

-Historian-
Old 08-17-2005, 21:58   #16
G31Steve
LiveFreeOrDie

Send a message via AIM to G31Steve
I notice your screen name I wonder if you have read patton's war time journal?Its called "War as I knew it" its a great look into a brilliant mans mind,intersting to here about how well he was treated by the sultans of north Africa.Other then that every think else I can think of has been mentioned.
G31Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 05:59   #17
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

G31Steve,

Thank you for noticing my GT name of historian. History is my refuge. I adore it. It is the place I go when I need to get away from the world. Some people drink. Some people exercise. My poison is history books. :

I’ve read Patton’s book and some of his personal papers. The book and it really does shine a light on Patton as a person. We tend to have a glorified view of Patton being invincible and infallible. The perfect solider in every respect. Perhaps that has a lot to do with our desires to see the movie Patton as a real portrait.

Truth was he was nothing like that and his book shows it. I think one of the most interesting passages in that book concerns the Parthenon in Greece. Patton and Omar Bradly were admiring the structure when Patton tried to slip the blade of his pocket knife between the stones. It could not be done. The stones were so perfectly cut that even without adhesive…it held together...it was perfect.

Just goes to show you that he was more than a military man. He was a poet, historian, solider, artist, horse rider, not a bad writer at all, and a damn good skeet shooter. He designed tanks and uniforms for tankers. He was a very well educated and dedicated man. An enigma, wrapped in a riddle, placed in a puzzle (historical reference).

If you liked that book, you might try Carlos D’estes a Genius for War. Great read and what I personally think is the definitive work on Patton’s life.

The quote about Patton that like most comes from Omar Bradly, “Gerogie Patton didn’t die when his jeep turned over. He died when they took his army away from him.”

-Historian-
Old 08-18-2005, 11:59   #18
G31Steve
LiveFreeOrDie

I was actually refering to Patton117 the person who started this post,I have read Genius for War also,I am actually a history major history also being my refuge.I wasnt saying his journal was the best look at him,just very interesting.I know he was much more then the view most people have of him.

;c to another Patton admirer!;?
Old 08-18-2005, 13:25   #19
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

G32Steve,

My bad. Your post followed mine. Being a fellow history major...what are your plans to use your degree and where are you going to school?

-Historian-
Old 08-19-2005, 23:31   #20
evlbruce

I highly reccomend David Ball's "Ironfire," it's historical fiction set during the Ottoman invasion of Malta. Ehile not military fiction per-se it takes place during the tranistion period of knights in armor to "pike and shot" the descriptions of the seige are the best I have read from the period.

"No matter where you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzi

Last edited by evlbruce; 08-19-2005 at 23:36..
evlbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 20:30   #21
G31Steve
LiveFreeOrDie

Quote:
Originally posted by Historian
G32Steve,

My bad. Your post followed mine. Being a fellow history major...what are your plans to use your degree and where are you going to school?

I am not sure,I am seriously considering being a writer,I didnt mention this before but my grandfather actually served under Patton at one point durring the war and met him on several ocations,I grew up living with him an hearing stories from North Africa an Italy,I think I would be doing my grandfater a great honor by putting all of his memories into print.Beyond that I have also thought about teaching or law school.I have been at USF for 2 years but im sitting this semester out.
Old 08-23-2005, 20:39   #22
Historian
Lifetime Membership
NRA Benefactor

Steve,

It must have been very interesting talking to your grandfather about his days with Patton. He's without a doubt an icon of that generation. He's almost mythical. Interestingly enough, his son was in the army too and did pretty well for himself.

I hope you put those memories down on paper. That generation is leaving us all too quickly. It's a sad situation. I think we could use their strength today.

It's also interesting that you want to be a writer. I've done that and it's hard to make a living at it. But it makes for a wonderful hobby. I have a stack of rejection slips from some of the finest periodicals in the world.

If you do better, I want an autographed book for my collection.

-Historian-
Old 08-24-2005, 18:57   #23
G31Steve
LiveFreeOrDie

Quote:

I hope you put those memories down on paper. That generation is leaving us all too quickly. It's a sad situation. I think we could use their strength today.

I couldnt agree more,that is my main motivation.

Quote:

It's also interesting that you want to be a writer. I've done that and it's hard to make a living at it. But it makes for a wonderful hobby. I have a stack of rejection slips from some of the finest periodicals in the world.

If you do better, I want an autographed book for my collection.
Quote:
I am afraid of writeing not being easy also,but ill let you know about that signed copy.
Old 08-27-2005, 14:01   #24
Baba Louie

patton117,

Check out these links for some www-style military history reading
http://militaryhistory.about.com/
http://www.militaryreadinglist.com/

I know it's fashionable to knock WalMart these days, but they have a lot going for them in regards to reading material they offer
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/searc...&Continue.y=10

These guys have some classics and well written/researched material
http://www.usni.org/press/press.html

Hope some of those help (someone).
Reading about military history is almost as addictive as owning and shooting firearms
Baba Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 23:29   #25
PSURT

Graduate with a degree in history here. I have several books that I enjoyed from classes over the years:

Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger, I think it's one of the better books written about WW1. It's a narrative of Junger's time served in the war, very well written, very grapic; interesting charecter.

Daniel Morgan: Revolutionary Rifleman by Don Higginbotham. If you ever saw The Patriot with Mel Gibson, this is the person who his charecter was losely based off of. Chronicles Morgan's life with emphasis on his time in the war and his tactics.

Lastly I need to suggest one of the books by my favorite professor at school, Carol Reardon. I read Picketts Charge In History and Memory, it was an excellent book and Dr. Reardon gives an excellent tour of Gettysburg.

Hope that helps.

-Joe
PSURT is offline   Reply With Quote