Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:50   #1
CarbineKid

Which pistols are lefty friendly?

I was in a shooting class the other night, and found out how much of a disadvantage us lefties have. My pistol is righty friendly in that, the slide stop and mag release are on the wrong side(for a leftie). My instructor said for my next pistol purchase, I MAY want to look for a gun that is leftie friendly. At the very least have the mag release button on the right side. So Im going to start my search and figured the southpaws here may have some advice/suggestions on which pistols you perfer.
Thanks in advance
CarbineKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 08:59   #2
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

The H&K P7M8 comes out of the box lefty friendly. It has a mag release on both sides and uses the squeezable front strap to drop the slide and cock the pistol.

Any 1911 can have a right side mag release installed.

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 14:34   #3
Hando

Send a message via ICQ to Hando
Walther P99 and clones.
Some SW pistols can have the mag release switched to the right side (additional part required)
Old 03-27-2005, 14:38   #4
Wulfenite
The King

Glocks. You'd have a hard time convincing me that a righty could run one better or faster cause of his handedness.
Old 03-31-2005, 23:14   #5
jasonb

HK USP's are convertable to lefty's, rightu's and ambi's, or the new(er) LEM trigger which does away with the safety/ decock lever. The mag release is ambi. I use my trigger finger to release the slide stop on my USP

SIG's new DAK trigger removes the decocking lever. There are right side mag releases available for 1911 clones.

As a lefty,I am as fast reloading my glock using my middle finger(trigger finger if that's easier for you) as a righty using their thumb.

HK Club #62
jasonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 11:44   #6
chance3290
Fear Dli

Kid, here's my two cents. I spent 20 years in the Army and I was a pistol instructor at the MP school for four years. I'm now a firearms instructor in Metro Atlanta.
Most semis are more lefty friendly then most of us realize.
Using the trigger finger on the mag release and slide stop ensures that you will not use that finger to pull the trigger when you don't want to. (You'd be surprised at how many people work the slide or reload with the finger on the trigger-Accidental Discharge my ass, they are NEGLIGENT DISCHARGES)
When you're trying to manipulate the slide stop use your trigger finger. Lay it along side the slide and DON'T bend it trying to use the tip of the finger, just use the side of your finger, right about by the knuckle. And remember to lift up on the slide stop BEFORE you try to pull the slide back.
The mag release can also be easily done with the left trigger finger.
One of the most lefthand friendly guns ever is the 1873 COLT. I shoot SASS and have found that you can keep a proper shooting grip with the left hand and load with the right. Thanks Sam.
chance3290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 15:54   #7
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

I rented a G34 today, and with the extended mag release, I couldn't drop the mag w/o shifting my grip. The slide release was no problem though, FWIW.
Old 04-01-2005, 16:02   #8
JMag

Quote:
Originally posted by Short Cut
The H&K P7M8 comes out of the box lefty friendly. It has a mag release on both sides and uses the squeezable front strap to drop the slide and cock the pistol.

Any 1911 can have a right side mag release installed.
+1 on the P7M8, nothing I've found better as a lefty.
JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 16:27   #9
Washington,D.C.

I'm a lefty.I don't use the slide release on any pistol.It takes two hands to changes mags so the mag release isn't a big deal.The safety is the main thing.On a Colt 1911 I tried a ambi safety once.It increased the effort to move the safety so much that it wasn't very good.On a 1911 I find I swipe the single safety lever with my left thumb anyway.On Glocks the safety isn't an issue and Sigs have a hammer drop that doesn't have to used except for holstering.Any pistol with factory ambi safety should work well.
Washington,D.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 17:47   #10
ArmyCop

Send a message via AIM to ArmyCop
Dunno if this matters much to you but a friend of mine (lefty) likes his Ruger .40 cal P94 as it has the Safety\Decocker on each side.
Old 04-04-2005, 23:20   #11
slumpmaster
Amateur

I'm a lefty and have no trouble with my Department-Issue Beretta Model 96DAO. I left the (reversible)magazine release on the left side, and depressing it with my trigger finger is no problem. In fact, I have never accidentally dropped the mag with my thumb during firing, unlike a few of my righty coworkers. Regarding the slide stop, if I want to lock the slide back, I place the web of my right thumb just behind the chamber, gripping the slide with my fingers on the right side of the slide, my thumb on the left, and raise the slide stop with my thumb as I pull back. Also works for a press check. I also have a Steyr S40, and operate the slide stop and mag release the same way. I assume this will work with other brands of pistols.
slumpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 23:39   #12
DJ Niner

Another vote for the Berettas (the 92-F/M9 in my case). The mag release is reversible, the decocker is on both sides, and the slide release can be manipulated with the trigger finger (as said above).

When my right (primary handgun-shooting hand) arm was out-of-order for a short time, I carried a 92F lefty until I healed-up; no problems including a couple of mandatory qualifications (score was not as high as normal, but hey, I was still armed/armable). Reloads were tricky, though...
...The second most dangerous thing to do is Turning Your Life Around. Going by local news reports, if you start Turning Your Life Around, you will inexplicably wind up face down in a convenience store parking lot at 0300 with a bag of somebody else's money in your hand, a chalk outline, and half a magazine's worth of the taxpayers' bullets in your ass. -- Tamara K.

Link >>> http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot...ed-before.html
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 22:21   #13
9MX
Rei!

Cool! A forum for lefties like me. ;c

CZ85B- my current game gun in IPSC production
G17 - my carry gun
Old 04-07-2005, 09:37   #14
Revolvr

You may not want this for personal defense, but I think the P38 is a good shooter for lefties. The controls are easily manipulated by the trigger finger.

Best of all, it is the only handgun I know of that actually ejects brass to the left.

-- Rev
Revolvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:56   #15
Washington,D.C.

The Walther P5 ejects towards the left too.That doesn't make any difference at all.I do like the P5 compact though.it is a bit thick.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:58   #16
Hesparus

Send a message via AIM to Hesparus
Slumpmaster -

How do you control the safety on your steyr left-handed? Is there a way to put a safety on the right? I'd really like to get a steyr s, but I want to be able to use it properly.
Thanks.

- Chris
Old 04-12-2005, 01:34   #17
spookshack

The safety on the Steyr is located in front of the trigger in the top of the trigger guard. It can be swiped off with either hand's trigger finger. There are two tabs on either side of the frame at the top/front of the trigger guard. It looks similar to the take down latch on a glock. If shooting left handed, use your right hand index finger and thumb to slide the tabs down. This pushes the safety lever down into the trigger guard and puts the gun on safe.
The Steyr that I used to own, had a somewhat loose tab(s), so I could on safe the gun just by using my trigger finger(left) to move the tab down.
spookshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 16:02   #18
slumpmaster
Amateur

Sorry about the late reply, Hesparus. I don't use the manual safety on the S40, as it has that nifty glock-style safety on the trigger. To operate the manual safety, press on the tabs that protrude on both sides of the reciever just above the trigger guard, with the thumb and forefinger of your support hand, and pull down toward the trigger guard. The safety will engage. To disengage, press up on the safety button that protrudes into the trigger guard with your trigger finger.

Honestly, the manual safety was not a selling point for me with this pistol. Rather, it was the comfort of the grip. I wanted a compact pistol for CCW, and I find the grip of the Glock 26/27 uncomfortable (don't mind the full size Glocks). The facts that it cost me 100 bucks less than a NIB G27, even after buying extra magazines, and the stock sights aren't plastic, didn't hurt.
slumpmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 21:52   #19
Short Cut
CLM Number 88
PatrioticMember

Quote:
Originally posted by JMag
+1 on the P7M8, nothing I've found better as a lefty.
Here's a photo to demonstrate. The mag release that you see is identical on both sides of the pistol. The other control is the squeeze cocker which is used to drop the slide. The checkered button on the upper rear of the frame is only used to disassemble the pistol.

The Southpaw Forum

NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Short Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 22:19   #20
Washington,D.C.

I can see where a lefty safety would be a help but a lefty mag release really doesn't make much difference.It still takes 2 hands to change a mag.It doesn't really matter which one pushes the release.

Last edited by Washington,D.C.; 05-08-2005 at 22:26..
Old 05-17-2005, 13:15   #21
JMag

Quote:
Originally posted by chance3290

One of the most lefthand friendly guns ever is the 1873 COLT. I shoot SASS and have found that you can keep a proper shooting grip with the left hand and load with the right. Thanks Sam.
Maybe that's because it was designed by a lefty...
JMag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 21:43   #22
CAcop

I have carried or shot the following without any trouble as a lefty. No mods unless mentioned.

SW 5906
SW 4506
Sig P226
Sig P220
Sig P225
Colt 1991A1 (ambi saftey was added by a previous owner)
Springer LW Compact (out of box ambi)
HK USP45 (switched side for safety)
HK P7 PSP
Various SW revolvers.
Beretta 92FS
Various Glocks

I used to hit the slide stop with my finger now I just grab it and let it go. The Sig decockers are actually easier for me to do left handed than right handed. I hit mag releases with my trigger finger even if there is one on the thumb side of the gun. The 1911's rock if they come with an ambi safety. I think HK's can come with ambi safeties too if that is you thing. I kind of like it when there is a safety only on my side of the gun.
CAcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 19:54   #23
Laserlips
"Laus Deo"

Lefty friendly...

I've had a pile of pistols over the years, and the one I've found to be the most absolute "lefty friendly" is a recent purchase of mine, the Bersa Thunder "9".

If you are the type person who equates only cost to quality you might look elsewhere, but I'll tell ya, the Bersa Thunder "9" is much more pistol than you have to pay for it......

The Bersa Thunder "9" is a compact 9mm (available in 40cal) DA pistol. Ambidextrious safetys, ambidextious slide release, reversable mag release.

I've only had mine a very short time, but the first 100rds I've put thru it went without a hiccup. The Bersa line is known for reliablity and accuracy, and mine has both those attributes.

Price? $306 + tax. Lifetime warranty.

This sweet little Bersa has nudged it's way to 2nd place in my 9mm pistol favorites list. My Sig P239 is my favorite, and now the Bersa is up there right behind it.

The Sig is not as "lefty" friendly, costs twice as much as the Bersa, so maybe I'm into an apple-orange comparison. Also I have many years of ownership of the Sig and frankly it's just a hard pistol to top. (IMO)

But, I do think the Bersa line of firearms remain below the radar for some reason. www.BersaTalk.com has a pile of Bersa/Firestorm lovers, and I'm rapidly becoming one of them.

The only negative I ever hear about the Bersa Thunder's is the price of additional factory magazines. ($60 more or less). But in my opinion after you shoot your Bersa you will be so pleased with it you won't mind springing for an additional magazine or two.

Just my opinion, dissenting opinions always welcome!

Best Wishes.
JP

;f

(PX/PX15/Laserlips: all samo/samo)
Laserlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 15:33   #24
sx-al
CLM Number 155
Go Canes!

save the cash

Hi. I'm lefty and my vote is for a Glock/Kahr design type of pistol. No levers, no decocks. And the Glock is super easy to maintain yourself. And w/ whats left over in $$ you get range time and ammo. Kahr is more a niche item, but I like mine. I have or have had one of "the others", and ended up with Glock/Kahr. I still have others, but I don't carry them. You may think I am full of crap. Like they say opinions are like elbows, everybodys got one. I suggest you rent a few to get the feel of the piece. Then buy what you like.

BTW +1 on dumping the slide stop as slide release. Use your off hand.

Al
sx-al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 14:45   #25
VonFatman

The CZ-83 is the same on either side of the frame and thus a lefty friendly gun. A darn good shooter too.

Bob