Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-07-2005, 23:12   #1
mccaincouldwin?

Some action for this section

Seeing as there are never any posts in this forum of GT, I figured I'd post something.

Considering that most of us are young (hence the forum name), I'll focus on the dating scene.

Anyone else have trouble finding young ladies or men who are interested (or at least accepting) of your gun ownership.
I was dating a girl for a while who was a member of Americans Against Handgun Violence (go figure). Every night she was over the G27 would be on the nightstand and she never complained (although it was obvious it wasn't going to work). I thought it was pretty funny at the time, but now i am faced with trying to find someone who accepts the fact that I carry regularly (which is especially hard being a college student). Anyone else have these troubles or stories of dating anti-gun zealots?

NOTE: Please so not make this another section on how "Girls are Evil", "Women Suck", or "I wish i could get laid, but women hate me". If you want the above see: http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread....hreadid=355402
Young Glocker, .40 S&W, and MilSurp #1943

"Tell them to BEAR DOWN" -John "Button" Salmon (1926)
mccaincouldwin? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 05:28   #2
Somekid
Free

When I was 17 and finishing my first year of college, I mentioned taking my rifle out into the woods. The chick I had been working on getting together with (24) was sitting right across from me in the Biology Lab, she just freezes. Then a little squeak 'Gun?'. It was awkward, but now I think it was funny as hell. Kind of a waste though, a full year of working on getting some from the best looking girl in the class, and she stops talking because I had a .22 rifle. :(

Oh well.

I met a chick who liked to dress like a hippy in my Public speaking class a year or two later who loved Berettas, yah, we had some fun. ;f
Somekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 19:29   #3
mally_b
Lost

Send a message via Yahoo to mally_b
Most guys out here in Commiefornia are not very accepting of any gun talk. I mention that I like to go shooting and most stop talking to me. Oh well they are not worth my time anyways;f Just have to find one good one;f
mally_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 20:50   #4
Romulas

Send a message via AIM to Romulas
I have this problem alot. I'm also in collge so the average person i meet is very anti-gun. I built a rifle last fall and brought it over to my friends house to show him but left it in the car. I very quietly told him i had that rifle i had been working on and i wanted to show it to him. well, someone over heard this and yelled out that i had a gun, his roomate started screaming for me to get out of the house and one person began to phone the police. WOW! Some times you need to be careful who you talk to about those things. I try to look for more subtle things to spot fellow gun nuts. The more tactful i can be the better.
Romulas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 23:03   #5
Somekid
Free

Mally, come to TN. I will even have ammo for you. (Just tell me in advance what cal.)

Dinner and a trip to the gun range...you might be a redneck if THAT is what you call a 'pick-up' line. I love being a redneck.
Old 06-10-2005, 00:23   #6
mccaincouldwin?

;z
Glock Talk: Now featuring the GT dating service. "She'll shoot off yours if you shoot off hers"

Old 06-10-2005, 03:14   #7
Somekid
Free

I think Mc has our slogan. Or maybe 'Guys and gals, getting together, and shooting eachs others toys'.

There is 'only' about 3000 miles or so between us. Nothing like an afternoon stroll eh?
Old 06-10-2005, 06:51   #8
Timmah!
Senior Jackass

Send a message via AIM to Timmah! Send a message via Yahoo to Timmah!
Quote:
Originally posted by Romulas
I have this problem alot. I'm also in collge so the average person i meet is very anti-gun. I built a rifle last fall and brought it over to my friends house to show him but left it in the car. I very quietly told him i had that rifle i had been working on and i wanted to show it to him. well, someone over heard this and yelled out that i had a gun, his roomate started screaming for me to get out of the house and one person began to phone the police. WOW! Some times you need to be careful who you talk to about those things. I try to look for more subtle things to spot fellow gun nuts. The more tactful i can be the better.
Take it from an "old-timer"...
1) Less folks that know about your guns, the better.
2) Just ASSUME that the people around you are "uncool" about guns, you'll be less likely to have this happen again.
3) Stop referring to youself as a "Gun Nut", it's not good for your cause. We get it, but they don't. It makes us all sound irresponsible in their (anti-gun folks) eyes.

Be safe, have fun.
Old 06-11-2005, 00:15   #9
Somekid
Free

Tim, this ain't a slam on you. Just a praise of TN, well, sorta.

Quote:
2) Just ASSUME that the people around you are "uncool" about guns, you'll be less likely to have this happen again.
To hell with them. Past two days I have been doing a sh-tload of errands. I have open carried every single time I suited up.

From picking my paycheck up at work (I am lucky, the woman who owns the business openly says she SLEEPS with her gun. I am set regarding carry at work), shopping, going to fast food joints for meals, random walking around town, going to the bank, always open carrying. (Except in crowded areas. Generally thats a non-issue.) Kind of crazy how few states won't go nuts if you open carry. Ah well, I open carry, and I try to give a good face towards gun owners.

Last edited by Somekid; 06-11-2005 at 01:43..
Old 06-12-2005, 01:11   #10
AlexTheShotgunn

I feel bad for you guys. My soon to be wife loves guns and has a few of her own. She goes to the range with me gets me guns or gun related stuff for presents. I got the life.... ;3
AlexTheShotgunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 15:53   #11
Aphotic
happy-go-lucky

No joke, the last five (5) girls that I have dated have all either accepted firearms, or enjoyed shooting them with me.

I think the key is to be very subtle and very confident about it. Don't try to win 'em over or explain yourself- just treat it as you should- a responsibility that you deal with every day.

The girl that I'm dating now comes from a family that owns some antique firearms, but nothing that should actually be fired. We were talking one night and I just asked her how she felt about guns. Her reply was along the lines of, "I don't like them, but as long as I don't have to deal with them or see them, I don't mind that they're around."

I explained to her that I had been in shooting sports for a number of years and that I am a sportsmen (hunting) and target shooter. I told her that if she wasn't comfortable around firearms that I understood, but I also told her that it was a part of my life and something that I take pride in and take very seriously. She knew me enough (we'd been dating about a month) to know that I was responsible and not some wacko- so I asked if sometime she would come shooting with me.

She said, "I'd definitely go along with you, but I don't know if I'd shoot a gun..." The next time she was over, I showed her my Ruger MKII Target pistol and explained what it was for, how it operated and that it had no recoil and wasn't a gun intended to "kill people with."

She ended up holding it and saying that she would shoot it with me sometime. About a month later, I asked, "Do you feel safe with me?" to which she replied in the affirmative. I asked, "Do you trust me? Do you think I'm responsible?" to which she also replied in the affirmative. I then asked her if she knew that I'd do anything to make sure she never got hurt, to which she said, "Yes I know that... why are you asking me these questions?"

That was when I told her that I carry and that whether she knew it or not she had been right next to my Glock 23 for the last 2 months solid. I think it was a real eye-opener for her, as she realized that guns aren't dangerous in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing.

After that things unfolded very well. I don't carry to the University, I don't carry at work, and I take extra precaution when carrying around her family (I don't want them to be uncomfortable) but other than that, she's 100% fine with it, and goes shooting with me now. She likes shooting the Ruger.

So it's a win-win situation. Basically, if the girl/guy likes/loves you for who you are, and if they trust you and know you're responsible, the fact that you enjoy exercising your 2A rights should never be an issue.

I could tell you 25 stories about people who were extremely anti-gun that now go to the range with me and ask advice on which firearm(s) to purchase for home-defense, and a couple for CCW.

Just be patient and be yourself- if you set a good example people will recognize it and understand that there are a lot of "good guys" out there with guns.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:59   #12
Timmah!
Senior Jackass

Send a message via AIM to Timmah! Send a message via Yahoo to Timmah!
^6 Nice work, Aphotic. Very articulate and intelligent.

Hey, Somekid...you could learn a thing or two from this one.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:09   #13
mccaincouldwin?

Somekid: I've seen your posts before, and I can't remember if you are from AZ or not. You mention that you open carry regularly thus I'm presuming you are from AZ, VT, or NH (the only three that come to mind that allow open carry).

On occasion I also will open carry (bank, grocery store, range) although usually only about three times a year (just for the expressed purpose of supporting the rights of AZ citizens to open carry). However in general IMO it seems that open carry is not pratical if you are carrying for the purpose of protection. Personally I'd perfer the BG to think I'm helpless and then use the art of surprise to my advantage.

Just something you might want to consider.

Old 06-25-2005, 18:19   #14
TechGal
PooDoos

Send a message via AIM to TechGal Send a message via Yahoo to TechGal
It's hard for me to find a guy in the first place. It's probably me- I'm not in school anymore and the guys I meet I assume they have a gal... Plus I'm not the most talkitive person. ;A
TechGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005, 22:14   #15
liquidsniper

Send a message via AIM to liquidsniper
The last woman I was with actually found it as kind of a turn on when she found out. I was a bit surprised, but happy nonetheless ;f ;f ;a
Old 06-26-2005, 10:14   #16
TerraMedicX

Actually, even living in hippie liberal Boulder, I haven't had any problems with girls finding out I carry. Now that's probably 'cause I got my CCW two months ago and I haven't had a date in about 10 months...but I doubt the two are at all related! ;f

Nate.
Old 06-30-2005, 01:56   #17
Gatman

Somekid is from Utah in some posts. He is also from Florida in others. And he is from Indiana in others. He is like the circus clown a lot actually. He travels a lot (obviously) and is a riot to laugh at.

+1 to Aphotic's post.
"They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house?" Patrick Henry

When the only tool you have is a shotgun, every problem looks for the nearest exit.
Gatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 22:09   #18
jonathon
Bowtie Freak

Send a message via AIM to jonathon Send a message via Yahoo to jonathon
I'm lucky I guess, only girl I'm interested in loves to shoot ;f

Though, I will say the girls I know that are fairly liberal(well some are very) are all semi-pro gun. Maybe its just the culture around here, I'm not sure. Only girls I've ever run into that HATED guns and made sure to say so are usually the ones I don't hang out with anyways.

Generally, if they are your friend, you're set since they know your personality, and since your already friends theres already that trust in character. If you know the girl, take her shooting! Even if she's never been, she'll probably enjoy it at least somewhat, or at least have a new perspective on it.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good Romans 12:21

كافر
jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 16:05   #19
Sturgell

The one I am with now was ignorant about firearms in general. Like most girls I know they are scared to touch them because they think they seem to magically go off and kill people. I let her hold my G22 along with several of my long guns I showed her how to check and make sure they were unloaded and showed her how to hold them properly. Then one day after doing the $ .25 trigger job I shot a mag or two through the gun and she asked to shoot it, she shot it and now she is ok with guns and wants to go out shooting more. Though this time I think she is going to shoot the 10/22 and maybe the 22-250 since they have no recoil, 10/22 first of course because of the muzzle report. once she gets good with the 22-250 I am going to take her coyote hunting and let her shoot one then comes deer season.
Sturgell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 16:30   #20
jonathon
Bowtie Freak

Send a message via AIM to jonathon Send a message via Yahoo to jonathon
Damn, you got it all figured out.

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good Romans 12:21

كافر
jonathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 13:20   #21
TerraMedicX

Quote:
Originally posted by TerraMedicX
Actually, even living in hippie liberal Boulder, I haven't had any problems with girls finding out I carry. Now that's probably 'cause I got my CCW two months ago and I haven't had a date in about 10 months...but I doubt the two are at all related! ;f

Nate.
Well I did finally have to deal with this, and BOY did I get lucky!!

Went out to dinner with this girl from my biochem class, having a good time, asking all the general "getting to know you" questions. We got on the topic of hobbies and I'm telling her about how I like to get outdoors and hike and climb and stuff. So she asks me if I fish, and then if I hunt. So I tell her about how I fish, but that I've never been hunting. She then tells me about how she used to always go hunting with her dad and how she got her first gun (a 30-30) when she was in 5th grade. I decide its probably safe to approach the subject so I tell her about the IPSC and defensive shooting I do. She thought that was really interesting and then tells me all about how she thinks everyone should carry guns because she grew-up in small rural towns where everyone did and she thought people would be far less likely to shoot at someone if they thought/knew that they were armed. At this point I'm thinking to myself "SCORE!!" but I still hold off a little longer.
Anyway, we ended up swinging by my place for a swimming suit so we could go chill in her hot tub, and since my Glock was already clean I decided I'd take it off and leave it at home. So I pull out my gun case as unload and lock up my carry gun and she gets all excited, asking to hold it and saying how she had no idea I was carrying. After that we spent a good ten minutes talking about CCW and why/when/where I carry. Needless to say she was very pro me carrying and we had a great conversation about it and really enjoyed the rest of our night together.
She ended-up being one of the most amazing women I've meet in a long time, and it looks like there will DEFINITELY be another date, and most likely a range date here sometime soon since she said she'd really like to shoot not only my Glock, but my shotgun and AR as well. All in all the whole thing went a lot smoother than I expected!!

Nate.
Old 07-11-2005, 13:35   #22
Nick'nKY
Bourbon is Good

Send a message via Yahoo to Nick'nKY
I was lucky. My Ex was a S.A.W. Gunner in Iraq for awhile. She used to laugh at me when I told her to I wanted to "up" my caliber to .45 . Would tell me to get a 100 round box and sling strap.

P.S....Never date a millitary girl. We used to fight about who had the better NCO's

"Walter Sobchak is my Hero."
Nick'nKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 22:28   #23
Mathew
New Title:

I treat it like any other hobby. Let people make thier minds up about you before you mention guns. That way, they will relate guns with the good person they already know, not the bad gun ideas they have with the person they don't.
"Do this. Don't do that. Stay back in line. Where's tax receipt? Fill out form. Let's see license. Submit six copies. Exit only. No left turn. No right turn. Queue up and pay fine. Take back and get stamped. Drop deadó but first get permit." -Robert Heinlein
Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote