SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-08-2005, 16:09   #1
Vanguard.45

Any Krav Maga in the UFC???

If not, why not?

Krav Maga looks to be pretty efficient, emphasizing a lot of mid-range locks, elbows, and knees, while also including basics from both boxing and groundfighting!

It seems like someone from that art might have given the UFC a try in order to promote the art itself?

Just wondering.

Thanks in advance,

Vanguard.45

“Blessed are those who, in the face of death, think only about the front sight.” -Jeff Cooper
Vanguard.45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 17:48   #2
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
Not as far as I know. I cannot think of one participant in any of the orgs who have listed that as a style they have even studied.

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 17:16   #3
runnergirl

Bas Rutten for one.

Krav is essentially one type of MMA that generally appeals to non-martial artists.

Eye gouging is still a no-no in UFC, right?
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 23:40   #4
K-DOG

Bas didn't endorse Krav till after his UFC. Someone who only trains in Krav would get wiped up by any UFC caliber fighter. UFC rules would limit the Krav advantage.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:34   #5
TED

UFC fighters spend a great deal of time and effort, endless hours upon hours developing and perfecting all sorts of stuff. The time and effort investment in UFC and most martial arts is very substantial.

Krav Maga is specifically designed to be learned in MINIMUM time and effort. Krava Maga is NOT designed to be the ultimate badass do everything art. It IS meant to give an average person without prveious experience as much IMMEDIATELY useful knowledge as possible in a RANGE of BASIC skills.

Krava maga, accurately, describes and prmotes itslef NOT as a martial art but as a self defense system (slightly amusing since it was created originally for the IDF which would make it actually more "martial" than the other "martial arts").

It is this simplicty and ease and quickness of learning that makes Krav Maga so great, as well as its broad array of basic skills. It is to get "good enough" for the needs of the average person as quickly and easily as possible, nothing more.

Krav Maga is NOT the end all be all and was not meant to be, but it is pretty darned nifty and useful.

If I were a professional full time competition fighter I might not bother with Krav Maga, as it is, I am not, nor do I even know anyone who is. Therefore, for my purposes, and that of many average people I believe, Krav Maga is truly awesome with value far beyond the sum of its parts.

BTW, Krava Maga is about the only system I know of that incorporates the use of firearms both as such and as impact weapons. This is quite useful and intersting. It is also one of the only arts that directly and specifically addresses the mental aspect of self defense combat and teaches you to recognize adrenalin as such and not confuse it with fear (thus creating said fear, a sort of self fulfilling prophecy with immediate impact if you will) and has specific drills for building aggression on counter attacks and other drills that really drive home that once you start hitting you don't stop until they are done.

TED
TED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 10:45   #6
Skpotamus

Send a message via AIM to Skpotamus
The problem with KM is that is's hard to find a decent school. There were three that I have seen personally. All three were McDojo's who's instructors got their KM certificate via video course. All three were different as night and day. One was Olympic TKD with basic wrist locks (done wrong IMO - no striking to enter into locks while standind directly in front of the person), another was a cardio kickboxing class (literally, they played music and did cardio KB for 45 minutes of their one hour workout, the last 15 minutes was devoted to "Self Defense" training that was the same as the first schools (wrist locks done with no strikign setup and done directly in front of attacker). The third did a lot of pressure point strikes that looked pretty fishy to me. A lot of those "one finger KO's" that didn't wrok on me.

I did a little diggin to find out why these schools sucked so much, and found the Krav Maga Home Instructor Certification Course. It was a video testing course that would get you an instructor cert. in about one to three months. A lot of McDojo's picked up on this scam and took what looked like a good SD style and turned it's name into another Ninjitsu fad.

Bas Rutten fought mostly in Pancrase, wehre he used Muay Thai (started with no grappling, just MT) then added some shootwrestling, that was what he used to fight with. After his not so fabulous UFC stint (he did much better in Pancrase and didn't need to have a referee help him win), he retired to coaching where he's produced some great fighters. I haven't heard about him teaching anyone KM though, it's all been Thai and SW for fighters.
Skpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 23:07   #7
Jasestrong

There was a guy in a ufc in the mid 90's fresh off the boat from Israel, some SF master, combat vetran and he got spanked, i wish i could remeber who he fought. I just remeber he was real pretty, very Van Damm looking.

After 23 years in Martial arts i have not found the perfect style. You need a good base style and pick up weak skills from other styles.

You have to be careful of these systems where they offer Instructor Credentials after only going to 1 or 2 day seminar. And Some of this Israelie stuff does just that. I took my 3 and 4 year old Daughters to look at some area schools and some offered this Israelie stuff and i just didn't like the schools. The schools that i am drawn to are Hard, Disciplned, seasoned instructors with the backgrouds to back it up. And i just didn't see that.

My 2 cents.

Jason
Jasestrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 00:52   #8
TED

Another thing that people forget is that Krav Maga is meant to be used by a moderately skilled person against a generally UNskilled criminal or terrorist.

TED
Old 06-14-2005, 15:30   #9
Ducman

Krav Instructors are only suppose to teach the class level that they have gone to phase training for. Some do some don't

Finding the right school is difficult for any MA, there are McDojos in every form, Krav included

One of Kravs ideas is that if you can learn a technique when you are exhausted then you can perform them in a fight. The beginning of the class is usually fairly aerobic, but some place have gone to far and turned it in a fitness class with a few minutes of self defense at the end.

My lastest class was a quick warm up, followed by inside and outside defenses, then light sparring, a quick review of defense against chokes, bear hugs etc, the 2 against 1, sparring one people while another bear hugs you, while the first person is still hitting you. Good clean fun
Ducman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 21:52   #10
kravmagahawk

TED pretty much hit the nail on the head. Krav Maga is not designed for MMA style competition, and promoting it as something for competition send the wrong impression. Krav Maga is a self-defense system, and the idea of competition is quickly thrown out the window so that we can focus on safety. When someone learns Krav Maga they want to know what they can do to get home safe at the end of the day. They're not worried about taking on someone who trains 6 hours a day, is the same weight as them, etc., etc.

Bas does endorse our system, but he does so because he believes it is extremely effective at its designed purpose - self-defense.

If you're interested in Krav Maga, go to www.kravmaga.com and search for a training facility in your area. Schools listed on that site are nationally certified by Krav Maga Worldwide, and you can be assured that the instructors went through the full training program to become instructors. Regardless, it is always important to check out a martial arts/self-defense school before joining to make sure that they provide what you are looking for.

Be safe.
kravmagahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 00:39   #11
TED

Bottom line...I took Krav Maga two hours a week for about 6 months (with several breaks and interruptions and missed classes) and it saved my life twice, once against a stabbing and once against two or three of them vs one of me and it ended up on the ground.

That is what it is for minimum effort for a useful return for self defense against the average thug.

Krav Maga is the econoymy line/budget self defense system for the every man, except we are talking about economy of effort and time.

You would not expect an economy car to out drive a professional racer, but you could count on it to get you home safe, and it does.

TED
Old 07-13-2005, 11:31   #12
FifthFreedom

Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
When I first started Krav Maga training, it changed the way I viewed all the traditional martial arts trainign I had up to that point. I can say that Krav Maga and Haganah are two of the best self defence systems I have ever studied. Very well rounded and totally geared towards street survival.
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote