Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:29   #1
BillyP

9mm copper plated vs fmj

I was going to order some 9mm ammo from Freedom Munitions and noticed they have both rn plated and FMJ 9mm 115gr. The jacketed is just a bit cheaper. My question is, is there any noticeable difference between the two? They will be shot from a Glock 34. Thanks in advance.
BillyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:54   #2
BillyP

Oh, one more question. There's a guy in Bowling Green MO that sells remans for 17.5 cents per round plus shipping. He uses 115gr Berrys rn copper plated, 4.4gr of Winchester 231 and CCI 500 primers. What do you all think?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:40   #3
Berto
woo woo

Copper plated is typically cheaper than jacketed and generally not recommended for much over 1100-1200fps. Jacketed ammo is also considered by many to have better accuracy potential because of a more consistent thickness vs plated ammo....I'm a decent shot, but cant discern much of a difference. If the jacketed is actually cheaper in this case, all other stuff being equal (brass) I'd get the jacketed stuff.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:23   #4
BillyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
Copper plated is typically cheaper than jacketed and generally not recommended for much over 1100-1200fps. Jacketed ammo is also considered by many to have better accuracy potential because of a more consistent thickness vs plated ammo....I'm a decent shot, but cant discern much of a difference. If the jacketed is actually cheaper in this case, all other stuff being equal (brass) I'd get the jacketed stuff.
One thing that got me to thinking is the FMJ is $200 per 1,000 and the copper plated is $205 per 1,000. This will be my first order so shipping is free.

Thank you Berto
Old 07-08-2014, 12:30   #5
my_old_glock

As Berto said, plated bullets are usually cheaper and not recommended for high velocities. The copper plating is not as thick as a copper jacket. If you don't bevel the mouth of your brass enough you can strip off the copper plating. Plated copper is a little softer so the nose or edge of the bullet may get damaged when the cartridge gets pushed into the barrel chamber. FMJ copper is usually work hardened and is thicker, so it resists damage to the bullet better than plated copper.

Some indoor pistol ranges don't allow exposed lead bullets. Most FMJ bullets have an exposed lead base which can create a health hazard.

my_old_glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 17:39   #6
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP View Post
Oh, one more question. There's a guy in Bowling Green MO that sells remans for 17.5 cents per round plus shipping. He uses 115gr Berrys rn copper plated, 4.4gr of Winchester 231 and CCI 500 primers. What do you all think?
Many years ago I was looking for cheap practice 9mm and .38 ammo for our small PD. I got samples of "remanufactured" (fancy word for "reloaded") ammo from 5 companies, some of which were on the state contract list and supposedly good quality.

Only one of them was good enough that I would be willing to fire it in my own guns, and it cost just as much as new WWB. All of the others had high primers/loose primers/backwards primers/excessive velocity/erratic velocity/cracked cases/etc.
Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 18:31   #7
BillyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Many years ago I was looking for cheap practice 9mm and .38 ammo for our small PD. I got samples of "remanufactured" (fancy word for "reloaded") ammo from 5 companies, some of which were on the state contract list and supposedly good quality.

Only one of them was good enough that I would be willing to fire it in my own guns, and it cost just as much as new WWB. All of the others had high primers/loose primers/backwards primers/excessive velocity/erratic velocity/cracked cases/etc.
That is good to know, Jim. I did research Freedom Munitions and have found nothing but good about them from hands on experience. Maybe times have changed?

Either way, I do appreciate your post. Thank you very much.
Old 07-09-2014, 00:49   #8
vtducrider

I have no need to buy reman ammo since I roll my own. Berry's makes good quality plated bullets. I use them and FMJ's from PrecisionDelta and Zero brand. All have been consistent. I mostly reload 9mm and 45, so plated bullets work just fine for target loads. I use jacket bullets when I try to push 9mm to high velocity. My reloads are more accurate and consistent than any of the cheap factory target ammo I have used. I don't know about how consistent the powder charge is on those low grade factory ammo, but the overall lengths of the rounds are all over the place. Take a pair of calipers to measure the WWB stuff, you probably will see variations of over 30 mils. My reloads come in at +/-5 mils from my set point.

Just as a data point for your guy in Bowling Green, my cost of making his recipe is 13.5 cents per round. 9 for bullet, 3 for primer, and 1.5 for powder. So he is selling at a reasonable price, considering he has to find a source for brass, which is likely a cost adder, his investment in equipment, and his time. His running cost is probably lower than mine excluding the brass factor, he probably buys all the components in larger bulks than I do. Ask him where is he is getting Win231, and report back. Would ya? Nobody has any in stock anywhere... I tapped my last 8lb keg last month. I need to replenish my stock.
vtducrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:49   #9
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyP View Post
That is good to know, Jim. I did research Freedom Munitions and have found nothing but good about them from hands on experience. Maybe times have changed?

Either way, I do appreciate your post. Thank you very much.

Looking at my post, it might make you think that EVERY individual cartridge of commercial reloads had problems, that's not what I was trying to say but it kinda sounded that way. In reality, each box of 50 typically had several bad rounds but not all.

I too have considered Freedom Munitions, Googling "Freedom Munitions Review" gave me a lot of choices. Most people said it was good stuff, but a few gave detailed explanations of defects that could be significant, like loose bullets that deep-seated when cycled through the gun. I plan to buy a small quantity and examine/test them, before making any decisions.
Jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 11:45   #10
BillyP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Looking at my post, it might make you think that EVERY individual cartridge of commercial reloads had problems, that's not what I was trying to say but it kinda sounded that way. In reality, each box of 50 typically had several bad rounds but not all.

I too have considered Freedom Munitions, Googling "Freedom Munitions Review" gave me a lot of choices. Most people said it was good stuff, but a few gave detailed explanations of defects that could be significant, like loose bullets that deep-seated when cycled through the gun. I plan to buy a small quantity and examine/test them, before making any decisions.
I agree with you. Even though you can get an idea of how good something is by reviews, it's not always the case. I have bought things with a 5 star rating that turned out to be junk (for me). I have bought other things with low reviews that I couldn't ask for a better product. All in all, the proof is in the pudding.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:14   #11
newgene

I reload and I've bought from Freedom. Those are about the only two reloads I trust. Freedom doesn't just have someone sitting at a bench getting distracted by his wife or kids. There is always a chance you will get a wore out case or distorted pocket, but I've shot thousands without an issue from them. The savings are pretty substantial when you buy from them. It's tough to reload them yourself and make it worth your time.
newgene is offline   Reply With Quote