Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-14-2005, 13:39   #1
sjfrellc
CLM Number 92
Charter Lifetime Member

Microdrives?

Would using a 3 gig microdrive in a Nikon D70 use battery power. Priced at around $125 after rebates seems like a good deal.
http://www.ritzcamera.com/webapp/wcs...t=%3Bp13129502
sjfrellc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 16:17   #2
Cirric
technogoob

Re: Microdrives?

Yes, the microdrive does use power - and If I remember correctly : the power consumption is MORE than a solid-state (Type I/II) CF card. - But I don't have the facts handy to back that up. The Microdrive takes power to spin, and is required spin up/ spin down at each access.

I have had two microdrives - and while they did work - and where priced favorably at the time, they also became unstable within one year of use in my D100. Generally the 'drive' structure is sensitive to motion/abuse, and it doesn't react well to being tapped or dropped. This can starts out with bad data-sectors, and end up with unreadable/unusable cards. And I'm generally over-cautious with my gear.

The other consideration with CF media is read/write speed. Microdrive Cards generally come in behind the solid-state CF cards - so the read/write of your pics may take longer.

I've moved to Lexar Pro, and Sandisk Extreme cards exclusively, both for speed, and for the solid state reliability.

It really depends on your priority for use - is it $$ limited, or mission-critical that you not lose your data.
(Note- I'm not saying that a solid state card can't fail, but my experience is that the Microdrives will fail sooner/more often.)

Hope that helps...
Northwest Glocker #919
G1 Niner #80
Cirric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 08:26   #3
sjfrellc
CLM Number 92
Charter Lifetime Member

That helps very much. I think a 1 Gig compact flash is the better way to go for a Nikon D70.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:43   #4
Cirric
technogoob

Watch out - they are like potato chips - and you'll always want more
Northwest Glocker #919
G1 Niner #80
Old 06-15-2005, 17:24   #5
UtahGlocker

I use a 4gb microdrive in my Canon 1DMKII and it works well. Mine isn't quite a year old, so I'm not sure what the long term reliability will be. I think microdrives are still cheaper per byte than other technologies.

Big Dawg #1005
G30/G36
UtahGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 17:53   #6
Cirric
technogoob

I agree - the Microdrives can be much cheaper - including ripping them out of certain MP3 players... (Which ALMOST makes them cheap enough to be "disposable".)

I just got a bad taste when the media started to degrade - and I started to lose pictures.
Northwest Glocker #919
G1 Niner #80
Old 06-15-2005, 22:16   #7
goblue

Been using a 4gb microdrive ripped out of a cheap mp3 player about 1.5 years ago. sits in my laptop daily and still works like a champ. That being said, I'd probably go for a 1 or 2gb flash card now for the speed.
goblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 22:24   #8
j doty

Another option is to get 256 or 512 flash cards to stock up faster without a big outlay for 1 gig cards. That way , if a card goes bad, 512 or 256 hurts less than 1 gig. Also, if you get some really one-time photos,you can just save the card as-is as an extra backup, and saving a 256-er hurts less than a 1 or 2-giger...
Old 06-17-2005, 21:02   #9
sjfrellc
CLM Number 92
Charter Lifetime Member

I ordered a Lexpro 1gb cf card 80x when I ordered my new Nikon D70. (around $130).
When I called to confirm the purchase as directed by the email notification, they told me it was out of stock and I asked how long it would take to get it in. Oh... about 5 weeks. So I told them to add a Hitachi 3 gig microdrive for about same price.
Well both showed up at the same time. The 3 gig gives me anywhere from 800 to 1600 pics.