Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-13-2005, 20:00   #1
California Jack

Cool Link For Powerlifters and Old Schoolers

Here it is... Hope you enjoy.
Old 06-13-2005, 23:23   #2
testosterone

Cool..thanks.
Its amazing the amount of differences there are between lifting styles. Most people think that lifting weights is lifting weights. They dont realize that there are two complete different camps..powerlifters and bodybuilders. Both lift weights but both do it for completely different goals in mind and most of the time completley different methods to achieve their results.
Still...they are more related to each other then the average couch potato
testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:01   #3
California Jack

I can't help but being pedantic. ;c I think we should add weightlifters in this too! But otherwise, I agree 100% with you.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:57   #4
garythenuke

An argument could be made that there are more even than that. There are Bodybuilders, Powerelifters, Weightlifters (olympic lifters), and Strongmen. All different to those involved in the sports, but also more related to each other than the couch potato or the marathon runner. I am not saying at all that marathon runners are related to couch potatos!
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 11:29   #5
testosterone

well there are sub-catagories of the two camps...I would classify weightlifters and strongmen as part of the powerlifting camp...they dont focus on body composition but on strength.

I remebmer the point when I carried alot of muscle mass..I was working on my truck with my dad and I couldnt get this damn bolt off..dad pushes me out of the way, grabs the wrench and with a twist of his wrist breaks the bolt free. He loos at me and asks if 'those muscles are for work or for show'. Then he lauged his ass off flexing his bicep. At that point in time I had never thought of functional strength. I mean, Im the one people always call when they have something heavy to move. I know that Im stronger then the average individual. My motto today is the same as it was back then. I would much rather look like I can squat 600lbs then actaully do it.
testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 12:08   #6
California Jack

No need to argue about semantics. I believe there is a difference between weightlifters and power lifter and strongmen and HGers. But I understand the point that you can lift to gain strength for a strength related sport or train to develope physique.

Test's original thought holds true. Most people don't understand the difference. I think if you tell someone you're going to weight train they immediately think of body building. I know a lot of people think weightlifting is the same as power lifting.

Me, personally, my goal is to choose 5 or 6 lifts and try to meet Bob Hoffman's Gold Medal Standard.

BTW Test, even though you train body composition, I'm pretty sure you're stronger than I am. There obviously has to be some carry-over. Just as If you can snatch bodyweight, Clean and jerk 1.5 bw and can 300-400-500 and run some decent wind sprints, you're gonna have a better than normal physique.

TEHO

Good training fellas and thanks for the posts,
Jack
Old 06-14-2005, 13:16   #7
garythenuke

Well done, Jack.
Thank you.
Gary
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 11:16   #8
Willard
Who, me?

Quote:
Originally posted by California Jack

Test's original thought holds true. Most people don't understand the difference. I think if you tell someone you're going to weight train they immediately think of body building. I know a lot of people think weightlifting is the same as power lifting.

Me, personally, my goal is to choose 5 or 6 lifts and try to meet Bob Hoffman's Gold Medal Standard.

Jack

Could you elaborate on "Bob Hoffman's Gold Medal Standards", please?
Big Dawg #828, Niner #828, SubClub #828, 40 Club #828
Heart of Dixie Glockers 25A

I have opted-out of "Political Correctness".
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 16:44   #9
California Jack

Bob Hoffman owned York Barbell Co. Here is a little bio.

A link to his standards