Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-12-2005, 13:28   #1
Mad Ryan

Gym Equipment question

I'm looking at getting some home lifting equipment. I cancelled my gym membership because I just didn't dig the vibe at the club I belonged to and since it's summer I'm going to be outside mountain biking much more anyways. I haven't been lifting much for the last few years, but I used to all the time. What I'm interested in is setting up some stuff in the garage like a squat rack/bench that allows me to do pulldowns and pullups and whatnot. Freeweights are cool with me, as I tend to like them the most, but I'm open to other options. I don't need any cardio equipment as I cycle.

So if anyone knows of a great deal in exercise equipment, or just a great piece of versatile equipment, let me know. My goals aren't mad muscle growth, but just overall fitness and strength.
Old 06-12-2005, 15:31   #2
jdsumner

I went to one of those 'used' sports equipment joints. They had new and used stuff. I got the elliptical machine for $250 less than new cause I took the floor model. I paid cash so they gave me quite a bit of new stuff for the used price. And I bought all my free wieghts used.
So if you have a Play it Again Sports near you, go negotiate a 'package deal'.

Dan
jdsumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 00:02   #3
garythenuke

This is a subject near and dear to my heart. I would suggest a barbell and some weight. We have chain sporting goods stores here, one is called Big 5, the other is called Copeland's. Either has weight sets that go on sale for about .50$ per pound. Which means that you can get 300# of weight, a bar, and collars for about $150.00. If you hunt around you can find used stuff much cheaper. I would entirely recommend agains a bench.
A set of squat racks, your 300# of weight, and a relatively cheap chin up/ dip cage is all you need to start. You can do a tremendous number of exercises with minimal equipment. You can do deadlifts, cleans, snatches, clean and press, front squats, overhead press, curls, straight leg deadlifts, hack squats, and one handed overhead presses and curls with just your barbell and weight. If you want really good equipment, look at www.ironmind.com . For "cheaper" stuff, you can either make your own racks and stuff, or go to discount stores.

A few of the other guys on this site have more experience building their own equipment and more versatile lifting. One of the things I like to do is see how many different things I can come up with for the least amount of money. One book you may get a kick out of is "Rock Iron Steel" by Steve Justa. I have it on the desk right next to me as I write. You can do alot with a little money.
You may also find it more fulfilling to not have highly polished chrome and fancy pulleys and cables and paint jobs. Just a stack or heavy hard weight that you throw from the gound to over head in as many ways as you can figure out. Take a look at some of the old time strongmen and wrestlers. They were tremendously powerful and did not have Smith machines, pulleys or Nautilus. Take an old duffle bag and fill it with sand. Pick it up any way you can and put it over your head any way you can. Drop it and repeat.

All of these types of exercises do not necessarily have to make you bigger, but they will make you stronger. Personally, I do not want to be bigger, just stronger. If I could weigh #175 with a five hundred pound deadlift, I would be stoked. I am 6'0" tall. There are many methods out there for increasing strength without necessarly making you huge. We can start another post on that topic later.

Good luck with this project. One word of warning, it is addictive. The nice thing is that it does not have to be an expensive addiction.

Last edited by garythenuke; 06-13-2005 at 00:07..
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:30   #4
California Jack

Here is what Brooks Kubik has to say about it.
Old 06-13-2005, 05:20   #5
garythenuke

Three cheers for Brooks Kubik. Thanks Jack
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 18:56   #6
ateamer
NRA4EVR

My home gym:
-Power rack from Bradshaw Products - A bit under $400
-Adjustable bench - decline, flat, incline (Cheapie bought at Costco - will be replaced with a flat bench from Bradshaw) - Around $50
-Olympic bar (actually a power bar - a couple millimeters thicker with deep, sharp knurling) made by Hampton - $115
-About 900 pounds of Olympic weight, all purchased used from various places - probably about $300 or so
-Adjustable star-lock dumbbell handles and about 100 pounds of weight - about $25 or so
-Thick bar (2" diameter, smooth) made from pipe - $25

Those are the basics. There are also powerlifting-specific items that aren't necessary for a basic gym, but that I like to use for variety and for fixing specific problems.

All of that stuff will last for decades.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 20:05   #7
California Jack

ateamer,

How's your hammy?

Sorry for the hijack.

Jack
Old 06-13-2005, 21:15   #8
ateamer
NRA4EVR

Hi Jack -
The hammy is pretty well healed. Got an easy 495 squat two weeks ago, felt good for 540, but held back. That was with just a loose belt. I don't want to push it too hard, just taking it pretty easy right now and trying to be good about stretching. Thanks for asking.
Know-it-all
ateamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 23:17   #9
testosterone

Ive been contemplaing a home gym...I want to keep it very simple.
1 step-in power rack
2 Olympic bars
1 flat bench
1 incline bench
1 low, regular seat with a back that goes up to the mid back
atleast 600lbs in olympic plates split up in 10's, 25's, 35's and 45's...
of course a large mirror so that I can see myself cause im that pretty

ideally I would like to have a db set made out of steel plates that go in pairs from 20-160's.........that would be the very expensive part. I found a place awhile back that is in L.A. that had their db's for cheap. Might drive down there to pick them up since shipping would be cost prohibitive.......
It would also be nice to have a calf machine and a cable set up for chaning things around a bit.
testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote