Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2005, 01:04   #1
Nalapombu

How Are Your MP3 Files Named and Stored??

Hey all,

I wanted to get an idea of how others are saving their MP3 music files on their puters. The way I am doing it I may not be able to utilize the cool features that are in some of the programs that I use.
As an example, lets say you have the CD "Delicate Sound of Thunder" by Pink Floyd and you rip ALL of the songs on BOTH discs to your system. For this example the song "Shine on You Crazy Diamond is track #1 on Disc #1. Are you with me so far...I hope so.

What FILENAME would that song be saved under if it was on YOUR system?

On mine it would be this: Pink Floyd - Delicate - (01)Shine On You Crazy Diamond.mp3

I don't mess with the music tags and I prolly should. Do you utilize tags for all your songs thus enabling you to find songs based on Genre, Group, Album, etc.??
What do you think about my method? Should I change to some other system?
Thanks for the advice.

Nala
Old 06-16-2005, 02:26   #2
aspartz

I've been organizong mine with (I hate to admit it) iTunes. It has the best tag editor, it renames and reorganizes files automagically, and (best IMHO) presets the volume offset so noting is deafining out of the blue.

To answer the question:
E.G.
I:\iTunes\John Mellencamp\The Best That I Could Do (1978-1988)\09 Small Town.mp3

Artist\Album\Song (w/ track number prefix)

ARS
Old 06-16-2005, 12:23   #3
Furant

At the filesystem level, I use /mp3s/(genre)/(artist)/(album)/(artist) - (title).mp3

You really should use tags. This way if you decide to further refine your Genre names you can auto rename (and organize within the directory structure) based upon the values of the tags.

But this is transparent using MediaMonkey. If you don't use MediaMonkey, you ought to. I use it for managing my 5500 mp3s. It tags, rips, burns, encodes and synchs with my iPod and other portable devices flawlessly. It also doesn't try to install QuickTime and background services like iTunes, isn't bloatware like MusicMatch, and is MUCH faster and more powerful than Winamp Media Library.

The developers are also awesome and are very active on their support forums.

Last edited by Furant; 06-16-2005 at 12:38..
Furant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 00:02   #4
Nalapombu

I have never used those tags but want to. The problem is that Ihave some stuff that won't tag properly because they are obscure or whatever. When I installed a version of MusicMatch on my last puter and let it tag everything I had about 500 files listed as UNKNOWN under ARTIST.
Would I have to go in an MANUALLY tag those? There were others that would come up with the "UNKNOWN" tag at various points and it would take me days to go through and re-tag all that stuff manually. That's why I have never done it.

Thanks for the info

Nala
Old 06-17-2005, 00:04   #5
aspartz

Quote:
Originally posted by jferrante
At the filesystem level, I use /mp3s/(genre)/(artist)/(album)/(artist) - (title).mp3

You really should use tags. This way if you decide to further refine your Genre names you can auto rename (and organize within the directory structure) based upon the values of the tags.

But this is transparent using MediaMonkey. If you don't use MediaMonkey, you ought to. I use it for managing my 5500 mp3s. It tags, rips, burns, encodes and synchs with my iPod and other portable devices flawlessly. It also doesn't try to install QuickTime and background services like iTunes, isn't bloatware like MusicMatch, and is MUCH faster and more powerful than Winamp Media Library.

The developers are also awesome and are very active on their support forums.
I installed MediaMonkey. It dies with DB errors. I'll try it again after I clean off some drive space.

ARS
Old 06-17-2005, 07:05   #6
Furant

Quote:
Originally posted by Nalapombu
I have never used those tags but want to. The problem is that Ihave some stuff that won't tag properly because they are obscure or whatever. When I installed a version of MusicMatch on my last puter and let it tag everything I had about 500 files listed as UNKNOWN under ARTIST.
Would I have to go in an MANUALLY tag those? There were others that would come up with the "UNKNOWN" tag at various points and it would take me days to go through and re-tag all that stuff manually. That's why I have never done it.

Thanks for the info

Nala
When Mediamonkey first scans your drive, if tags are incomplete, you can set it up to infer tags from filename and path (by default it just looks at filename to supplement the tag info). So, you can set it up to check the tags first. If they don't exist, it will look at the filename and path to see if it can figure out the title, genre, artist, album, track number, etc. That said, I'm sure some tags will be incorrect or still missing. For those, you can either edit them one by one or select a group of them for editing.

ARS,

If that problem persists, let me know or post it on the Mediamonkey forums. I've never had a problem like that and I've installed it on dozens of computers.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:54   #7
Nalapombu

J,

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to try it this weekend and see how it handles everything.
Another thing that I am unclear about on the whole TAGS issue is whether they are program specific. Meaning, if I use MediaMonkey to TAG ALL of my MP3 files but I use REAL player to LISTEN to my music, will REAL work with the TAGS that MM put on my tracks? What about when I go to MusicMatch to make a CD or something else, will the tag info be available there too? Or would the complete TAGS and great organization of all my tunes be gine if I use anything other than MM?

Will MM do all of the stuff I mentioned like playing MP3 files, ripping CD tracks to create new MP3 Files and the occasional recording of an audio CD? If it does and it works like you say, I may not need those other programs. Until I would get used to MM, I would still be using the other programs like I listed above. That's why I asked the question.
Thanks for all the help.

Nala
Old 06-17-2005, 12:22   #8
Cryptoboy
Sr. Sr. Member!

Send a message via ICQ to Cryptoboy Send a message via AIM to Cryptoboy Send a message via Yahoo to Cryptoboy
I just have them stored in files by decade (my 80's and 90's folders are gettig a litle big! ;f ) Then, I hav another folder lableled Soundtracks, with subfolders for each. Also a folder labeled Albums with various complete CD's in there.

I'll usually edit the file name and tags when I get the MP3's.

Go Noles!!!
Cryptoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 13:21   #9
Angel Of Death
Wrenches/BMWs

08 - Atreyu - An Interlude
Angel Of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 13:29   #10
Furant

Quote:
Originally posted by Nalapombu
J,

Thanks for the info. I am definitely going to try it this weekend and see how it handles everything.
Another thing that I am unclear about on the whole TAGS issue is whether they are program specific. Meaning, if I use MediaMonkey to TAG ALL of my MP3 files but I use REAL player to LISTEN to my music, will REAL work with the TAGS that MM put on my tracks? What about when I go to MusicMatch to make a CD or something else, will the tag info be available there too? Or would the complete TAGS and great organization of all my tunes be gine if I use anything other than MM?

Will MM do all of the stuff I mentioned like playing MP3 files, ripping CD tracks to create new MP3 Files and the occasional recording of an audio CD? If it does and it works like you say, I may not need those other programs. Until I would get used to MM, I would still be using the other programs like I listed above. That's why I asked the question.
Thanks for all the help.

Nala
MP3 files have two types of tags, ID3v1 and v2. Different programs leverage them to different extents. When you tag something in MediaMonkey, it updates the database and both sets of tags (by default). This allows that information to persist into other players or onto whatever portable player you want to use. Some of the things like lyrics and album art can only be stored in ID3v2 tags, so that's where MediaMonkey puts them (personally, I don't lyrics or album art since they increase the file size).

I use MediaMonkey for everything. It has a built in player that supports WinAmp plugins. Heck, you can even have it use WinAmp as your player, but I find that uses additional memory without any benefit. I also used to use Exact Audio Copy for ripping, but they have stopped releasing updates and MediaMonkey's jitter correction is just as good (or at least has been for me). You can burn audio CDs, but the free version limits the write speed. If you pay the $20 or $30 for the Gold version, it will support the speed of your hardware. (Again, this has been the best money I have ever spent on software). Try the free version for a while and I think you'll be pleased. It's really easy and very FAST. Especially for searching, there is a dynamic search window in the toolbar that finds tracks as you type, so as quickly as you can type in "H-A-L-E-N" it will pull up all of your Van Halen tracks. The one thing it doesn't do that the developers are promising is burn MP3 CDs directly from within the interface (Audio CDs burn with no problems). I would expect MP3 CD support to be implemented within the next couple of months.

One other awesome thing about MediaMonkey is its support for Visual Basic scripting. I have modified some of the template scripts to customize HTML reports of my MP3 files. Some other (much more gifted) developers have created custom scripts that allow you to create a tree node in the left window so that you can group your files by virtually any of the database fields (so you can see all of your files that are at a <128 bit rate, or all files that have comments in their tags, or all bands for which you have more than one album, etc.)
Old 06-19-2005, 21:37   #11
aspartz

I tried Media Monkey again. This time it works!!!

My only complaint so far is the lack of the "Disc" tag.

EG -- Dire Straits Alchemy is a 2 disc set. I prefer to organize and name the files by disc-track rather than have the tracks on the 2nd cd start with arbitrarily large track numbers.

I'm also fighting with it's organization of various artist cds. I would prefer to keep all the tracks in the same folder rather than sorted to the artist folder.

ARS