Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-05-2005, 19:59   #1
357wheelgunner

TN EMTs will be allowed to carry?

My First Responder instructor told me, when I asked if I could carry while on my clinicals, that I could not right now, but soon they are changing the laws in TN so that EMT crews would be allowed to carry while on duty. She also said that the helicopter crews would be required to carry, due to new Homeland Security rules. Has anyone else heard anything like this?
Old 04-05-2005, 21:24   #2
jlw_84
General Glocker

Well I'm not in TN, although I'd like to be, I haven't heard anything in my neck of the woods.

Please, keep us informed.
jlw_84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 17:18   #3
vbscout

I am not in TN. but I am in Va. I have not heard about being allowed to carry. I think that it will be a good idea; especially for us hear in the back woods. Please keep me informed. Thanks
vbscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 08:55   #4
jim2037

Send a message via Yahoo to jim2037
Oh if only we could carry in NC and SC!!!!!

Jim
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" --Samuel Adams
jim2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2005, 23:04   #5
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

I have wanted a gun while on duty with one exception in my eight years on the job.

The issue I have is if you are carrying you then have another distractor, a potentially deadly one, while you should be caring for your patient. You begin to worry about sheilding your gun etc.
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:52   #6
Darkangel1846

Re: TN EMTs will be allowed to carry?

Quote:
Originally posted by 357wheelgunner
My First Responder instructor told me, when I asked if I could carry while on my clinicals, that I could not right now, but soon they are changing the laws in TN so that EMT crews would be allowed to carry while on duty. She also said that the helicopter crews would be required to carry, due to new Homeland Security rules. Has anyone else heard anything like this?
Funny you should bring that up. I was a Para Medic back in Iowa in the 70's. I would say about half the guys I knew packed heat even though it was illegal. The Local LEOs knew we did and never said much about it. I only remember one incident of one of our guys drawing his weapon, but the incident was hushed up by us and the local LEOs. It was a rightous defense move by the way, but no shots were fired.
Its my opinion that all Para-Medics should pack heat and have some law enforcement powers, the more dangerous the area the more powers.
JMHO
DA
Darkangel1846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 16:58   #7
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Extremely poor idea. There's no place for a firearm in an EMS unit unless it is attached to a police officer.
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.

Last edited by obxemt; 05-19-2005 at 17:00..
obxemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 17:01   #8
obxprnstar
Goth Lover

In my original post I meant to say I have only wanted a gun once, and that was when LE put us in a dangerous situation, things worked out for the best though.

Quote:
Originally posted by obxemt
Extremely poor idea. There's no place for a firearm in an EMS unit unless it is attached to a police officer.

^6 Two words folks, "Weapon retention."

I do not want to be running my call and at the same time worrying about my sidearm. When doing patient care, providing that care is 99% of my focus, with 1% saved for paying attention to my surroundings.
-Isaiah 6.8
obxprnstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 22:44   #9
Rollo Tamasey

Send a message via AIM to Rollo Tamasey Send a message via Yahoo to Rollo Tamasey
Let EMTs carry

Although I am not an EMT I think they should be allowed to carry and have something written in to the law that if their gun accidently shows while they are in uniform they won't get in trouble. That way if they are working on patient they would not worry if it shows or be distracted by it. With this type of holster it could be one of those new inside the waste band retention holsters so no one could just grab it out of holster. Another option would be smart carry since this hold gun in front unless it has a really big handle it never shows.

I guess I am so used to having a cwp that with a small to medium frame gun I have actualy forgotten I am wearing one. One time I actually went back in my house to look for it then relized I had not taken it off.
Rollo Tamasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 10:53   #10
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

MEA CULPA!

Edited at the advice of redneckmedic!
Your idea about the role of cops is totally different from the majority's, history's and the Constitution's.

Last edited by obxemt; 05-28-2005 at 15:51..
Old 05-28-2005, 14:12   #11
357wheelgunner

Wow, I somehow expected a little more self reliance from a bunch of EMTs. Most EMTs I know carry whether legal or not, and more power to them. Why is a policeman's gun any more safer than yours or mine? If an EMT wants to carry let him, it is his choice and his ass if he loses control of his weapon. Everyone has a right to self defense, and even more so if you are just trying to help people.

People like those here who want to stop EMTs from carrying are the reason that I got a degree in Drafting and Design instead of being a Paramedic, you poor guys have to deal with bull***** from all sides, including fellow EMTs who want to tell you what to do.

EMTs should get more powers and more pay, they deserve it for what they do.
Old 05-28-2005, 14:48   #12
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Quote:
EMTs should get more powers and more pay.
More powers? Powers to do what? Start IVs and deliver medical care? EMS is NOT law enforcement. If they want to carry a gun on duty and can't function without one, they need to get into law enforcement. If they're carrying illegally, just like anyone else, they need to head to the local jail.

Last edited by obxemt; 05-28-2005 at 16:00..
Old 05-28-2005, 15:34   #13
Bubbamedic

Quote:
You want something written into law that would exempt EMT's from accidental discharges? You've got to be kidding me! If someone is working on me and a gun goes off, unless I'm unconscious, I'll be dragging myself out the back of the ambulance and hailing a cab. I can't believe this is even being considered.

He said nothing about Medics being exempt from Accidental Dischages, only from incidental printing or the gun being exposed. You should pay better attention to what you read.

I personally don't carry at work but I would if it was allowed.
G1 Niners(GLOCK 19) Club #81
Bubbamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 15:47   #14
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Thanks for the pointer, Roscoe, I'll take that under advisement. ;g ;z It's especially meaningful to me after noting your near 3-month membership and 58 posts.

Last edited by obxemt; 05-28-2005 at 15:55..
Old 05-28-2005, 20:54   #15
357wheelgunner

Quote:
More powers? Powers to do what? Start IVs and deliver medical care? EMS is NOT law enforcement. If they want to carry a gun on duty and can't function without one, they need to get into law enforcement. If they're carrying illegally, just like anyone else, they need to head to the local jail.
This is rediculous, I'll spell it out for you slowly so you get what we're talking about:

A gun on an EMT's hip is not there for law enforcement, simply SELF DEFENSE. I don't think EMTs should be cops, they do enough as it is. I do believe that they deserve to have the proper tools to defend themselves. Your repeating of the exact same thing is a perfect example of the mess that beurocracies get us into: people who can't think for themselves.

If an EMT wants to stash a J-frame or a Glock 26 in a smart carry, more power to him. Be careful out there guys, and do whatever it takes to keep yourselves safe. Play to win....
Old 05-29-2005, 12:12   #16
obxemt
Chaplain of CT

Quote:
This is rediculous, I'll spell it out for you slowly so you get what we're talking about. Your repeating of the exact same thing is a perfect example of the mess that beurocracies get us into: people who can't think for themselves.
You're right, this IS rediculous. Your repeating of the exact same thing is indicitive of the mess that pro-gun wackos get us into: people whose lack of articulation and inability to funtion in society make them feel that a firearm in their pants is necessary to compensate; complicated by their own flawed logic and lack of intellect, used in failed attempts to insult others.

Luckily, firearms in ambulances in my state are illegal and will remain so for some time.

Last edited by obxemt; 05-29-2005 at 12:15..
Old 05-29-2005, 13:24   #17
podwich

Well, I don't agree with those who think that guns should be illegal in ambulances, but what do I know? I'm a helpless inarticulate.

;Q
podwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 23:26   #18
DCSO0322
GIGGITY

Send a message via AIM to DCSO0322 Send a message via Yahoo to DCSO0322
This world has gotten to the point that there are departments that issue kevlar vests to their EMT's and paramedics. If the world is that dangerous of a work enviornment let them carry. But first they must go through firearms training course and if they don't pass they don't carry. Simple as that, if they can't do it right they can't do it.
But what do I know? just my $.02
DCSO0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 01:18   #19
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer, Roscoe, I'll take that under advisement. ;g ;z It's especially meaningful to me after noting your near 3-month membership and 58 posts.
What does his length of time and post count on this board have to do with this discussion?
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 15:03   #20
IDC

I have been on calls where if i was CCW there would be another Pt. I do carry a 3" 10ga. which i must say is more intimidating to some people then a 45. Bottom line rule one: is the scene safe? if LE isn't present im not going in till they are.