GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-24-2005, 06:47   #1
ClydeG19

I want to start my own business...I need some ideas.

I've decided I'm tired of working for "the man." I've been kicking the thoughts around for several years, never being happy in the corporate yes men world. I've thought about going into govt work, but the red tape there would probably give me gray hair in a hurry. I'm tired of sitting back and going along with other people's decisions either because my opinion doesn't matter or I convince myself that I don't care that the decision is stupid. I want independence.

I've got a BS in geography, I'm a volunteer firefighter, I've got some retail management and customer service exp, I write fairly well, and I learn quickly. The best idea I've come up with so far is an online firefighting equipment store. Not that it's a bad idea, but there are already some well established places in that market. I would also have to carry an inventory, have a big loan for the initial inventory, take returns, etc. I would probably prefer something less bulky. If anyone has any ideas, feel free to post them or pm me with them. I've got plenty of down time at my work as it stands right now, so finding the time to start something isn't a problem. It beats surfing the half blocked web or reading yet another crime drama book.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2005, 10:15   #2
DBradD

Get on amazon.com and buy "48 Days to the Work You Love" by Dan Miller.

It is pointless to ask this question here, although very tempting. The correct business will only be revealed through analysis of yourself. Others will recommend ideas, but will have absolutely no way to know if the ideas fit you, your personality, skills, risk tolerance, etc.

Good luck.

DBD
DBradD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 01:20   #3
jprj

Send a message via Yahoo to jprj

There's so many ways and approaches. But one way to do it is put your self in the side of a customer. What's missing? What's needed? Make a list of those things. Then limit it by checking if the budget fits. Do you have the skills for it or can you acquire the skills needed or it? Is it profitable.
jprj is offline   Reply With Quote