Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-30-2005, 23:20   #1
funbob
do a lil' dance

Send a message via ICQ to funbob
What's wrong with my car?

Last week as I was running around in my daily driver, a 1994 Mercury Sable, I noticed a strong smell of gas coming in through the A/C vents, shortly thereafter, the car stalled. I was on my block thankfully, so it was no big deal. Opening the hood, it looked as if something had leaked into the engine compartment. The next morning, the car started up just fine and hasn't given me any problems until today when it did it again. It started with a barely perceptible vibration that I could feel in the pedal, followed by a strong gas odor and then the engine stalling. No signs of any new fluid in the engine compartment this time though. This time, I was able to piece together a few things about the situation. Both times it happened on a hot day, with the A/C running and after I had been driving around town for an hour or so. This time, I also noticed that there seemed to be a lot of pressure in the fuel system. When I loosened the gas cap, there was a very long and loud hiss of escapting gas vapors. It seemed once this pressure was relieved, the car was able to start up just fine and I drove home without incident. Looks like I'll be driving my nice car for a little while until I sort this out. Any ideas on what's wrong?
funbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:34   #2
partspin
gib

Stinky gas... sounds like a coolant leak.

As for the vibrations and stalling, could be a lot of things...
partspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 18:43   #3
g22toter

I havent heard of this for a long time but it may possibly be vapor lock. temeratures under the hood reach so high that the fuel in the lines go from liquid to vapor. this would cause the vehicle to stall after an extended run time. but then again this may not be the problem at all. This usually only happened to vehicles with carbs. I had once read that by rerouting the fuel supply line next to the low side a/c line and then insulating around the two would actually keep the fuel cooler and possibly relieve this problem.
Old 07-03-2005, 08:44   #4
streeter69
This is Kewl

funbob, Get it to a shop. If it is a gas leak, I would hate to see you BLOW up;P The biggest problem with headgaskets blowing out and leaking coolant on exhaust.
Old 07-03-2005, 13:05   #5
funbob
do a lil' dance

Send a message via ICQ to funbob
Yeah, I'm going to drop it off at my mechanic on Monday to be looked at. It's just my back and forth to work car as I don't like driving the Miata to work only to be hit by shopping carts and car doors all day long.
funbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 21:23   #6
mattswabb

I had a 95 taurus and many times I would smell gas thru the vents. It almost always happened after I was driving down the highway and when I got off at an exit I would smell gas. Car never stalled on me though. Never looked for the problem.
mattswabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 12:45   #7
Clem Eastwood

if you smell gas shut it off. i cant tell you how many car fires are started by underhood fuel line leaks. fuel rails can crack, injector o rings can harden, or whatever and you have yourself a fire. we just had a car fire at my job last week because people never open their hood anymore.

Where men are men, women are men, and teenagers and children are FBI agents.
Clem Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2005, 21:24   #8
AR15GUY

sounds like a venting problem.with the gas smell.
AR15GUY is offline   Reply With Quote