Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-06-2005, 12:44   #1
JasoninPrescott

EMT-B training

This seemed like the best place to ask this. I have been giving alot of consideration to taking a EMT-B course. I am not doing this for a job so is it necesary for me to be certified? Also do you recommend any instructors in Northern Arizona? Or in the Phoenix area? Should I consider taking a something other than EMT-B? I am taking CPR, First aid and a couple others soon and thought it might be worth while to take EMT-B. Thanks for your help.

Jason
JasoninPrescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 13:54   #2
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

If you're not doing it for a job than it probably won't be that useful to you if you are already taking CPR and first aid.

Now if you're ever in the woods with a friend that's broken a leg...

But really, how many times are we presented with things like that in life?
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 14:43   #3
JasoninPrescott

For me? Alot, I do alot of things like camping, hiking, etc. Way out in the boondocks, it might really come in handy if I have to saw my own arm off or something.;Q
Old 07-06-2005, 22:51   #4
TerraMedicX

If you're going to be a ways back camping and hunting and such, but arn't looking at Fire or EMS I would highly recommend a First Responder class. These are offered all over the place, like your local Red Cross, and offeres a certification that is generally accepted around the country like your CPR cards. The first responder class is around 50 hours and gives you a lot of the skills and knowledge to take care of injured people for longer periods of time such as in a backcountry situation. You might also consider a Wilderness First Responder offered by NOLS which is very similar but focuses more on improvised equipment and lengthly periods until professional rescuers can arrive.

Nate.
Old 07-06-2005, 23:29   #5
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally posted by JasoninPrescott
For me? Alot, I do alot of things like camping, hiking, etc. Way out in the boondocks, it might really come in handy if I have to saw my own arm off or something.;Q
My EMT-B class didn't cover the basics of amputating limbs. ;f
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:05   #6
Skintop911
Uber-Practical

A First Responder course will cover the essentials. One of the many 2-day "backcountry" or "wilderness" first aid courses will add some useful emphasis areas.

(BTW, I mean a FR course like that of the National Registry. Not a generic "first to respond" first aid class.)
Skintop911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 09:43   #7
DocRoberts

Ditto...

About the only thing you are going to cover additional is really the use of 02 and administering already issued patient medication. There are really only a few differences. Now that said,experience is the best teacher, taking a course and not using your skills will result in them fading away over time.

I would say if you are half serious, look around your area for a vol. fire department or rescue squad, they will likely pay for the training and you will get plenty of chance to actually use it.
HK SL-8/G36
Rem 870 Marine Magnum
DocRoberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 16:21   #8
JasoninPrescott

Thanks for all the suggestions, there is a volunter fire department here and coincidentally they are right up the road from my house so I'm going to stop in and say hello later today. I'm sure they can use the help around here with all the wild fires lately. If you guys didn't know Northern Arizona right now is/was in pretty bad shape due to a couple of wildfires. Take care and be safe.

Jason
Old 07-09-2005, 06:36   #9
ClydeG19

Check with the community colleges around Phoenix. I believe most have EMT B classes.
ClydeG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:56   #10
timmy12gauge

First Responder

I am currently working on my EMT B but this is to join an ambulance company. If all you are wanting is to know how to help some one out you just need a first responder class. FR covers 95% of the EMTB but on a company FRs can not be alone with the patient during transport. Even if you are thinking about joining the fire house, a FR might be your best choice. FR takes Three months and about $100. EMT B is Six months and about $1000. FRs can help when first on scene as well as drive the ambulance. So unless you have ambitions to move up to Paramedic I would say snag a FR class.
Old 08-09-2005, 18:43   #11
medicdave

first responders better for you. emt is more transport/equipment based....dave
medicdave is offline   Reply With Quote