Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-12-2005, 21:29   #1
Veri

Advice for potential student, and why do you do it?

Basically, the only exposure I've had to any martial art was TKD many, many years ago, when I was much younger (as in, 10 or so.) I turn 21 this September. I stopped at yellow - I know, a belt's just a belt - and never really continued on for various reasons. I always was interested in the concept of martial arts, though, and still am.

I've been toying with the idea of getting back into some sort of thing, though I don't know where to go around here for something like that. More the matter, though, is choosing something. Seems like several people like BJJ and Judo, but maybe that's just mistaken impression. Could anyone give me a quick little primer on the major disciplines represented here, and why you chose what you did?

And the other issue ... why did you choose to seriously study martial arts at all?

Thanks.
Veri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 22:12   #2
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Send a message via AIM to Roundeyesamurai Send a message via Yahoo to Roundeyesamurai
Veri,

Both of your questions have been the source of endless pondering and debate for centuries. I don't think anyone can give you an adequate answer in a blurb!

Obviously being a young guy, I imagine you're getting into it for physical fitness, combative skills, etc. Which is how most of us got into it. I think you'll find if you get back into it and stay for a decade or so, the reasons for doing it will change, but the desire to continue will remain.

As far as the arts- if you're looking for "which style" to take, my answer would be, don't concern yourself with the style, but find an instructor who you like (as a person), and train with him/her. The instructor means a whole hell of alot more than the method.

Good luck, and keep us apprised.
Roundeyesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 20:22   #3
jpzaf
Confused?

Quote:
Originally posted by Roundeyesamurai
Veri,

Both of your questions have been the source of endless pondering and debate for centuries. I don't think anyone can give you an adequate answer in a blurb!

Obviously being a young guy, I imagine you're getting into it for physical fitness, combative skills, etc. Which is how most of us got into it. I think you'll find if you get back into it and stay for a decade or so, the reasons for doing it will change, but the desire to continue will remain.

As far as the arts- if you're looking for "which style" to take, my answer would be, don't concern yourself with the style, but find an instructor who you like (as a person), and train with him/her. The instructor means a whole hell of alot more than the method.

Wow, I couldn't have said it better
jpzaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 01:45   #4
bunkerbuster

Re: Advice for potential student, and why do you do it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Veri
Basically, the only exposure I've had to any martial art was TKD many, many years ago, when I was much younger (as in, 10 or so.) I turn 21 this September. I stopped at yellow - I know, a belt's just a belt - and never really continued on for various reasons. I always was interested in the concept of martial arts, though, and still am.

I've been toying with the idea of getting back into some sort of thing, though I don't know where to go around here for something like that. More the matter, though, is choosing something. Seems like several people like BJJ and Judo, but maybe that's just mistaken impression. Could anyone give me a quick little primer on the major disciplines represented here, and why you chose what you did?

And the other issue ... why did you choose to seriously study martial arts at all?

Thanks.
I took soem martial art when I was little. During the college years, I took the Kendo, because one of my friend was telling me good things about it.

This martial art is like boxing. you really go at it! On top of that, kendo cloth itself is like 2lbs plus the armor (bogu).
During the summer, it is really a challenge.

I really like Kendo and would like to continue in the future.
bunkerbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 21:43   #5
vertigo7

I study Wing Chun Kung Fu. I started my study of the art because I recognized that I couldn't have my G30 on me at all times, and I wouldn't always be able to simply beat a tactical retreat.

That said, I will echo Roundeyesamurai's comment to pick the instructor rather than the style. I doesn't matter how fantastic the art is if you don't get along with the instructor. I spent a lot of time visiting different schools in my area, getting a feel for how the schools were run, how the instructors treated their students, and how the students treated each other. Talk to the instructors, talk to the students, talk to the student's friends or parents if they're around, and see what everyone has to say.

After many days reading online about different styles and visiting numerous karate, taekwondo, aikido, gracie jujitsu, and kung fu schools, I arranged to visit each school in my area, meet the instructors and take a couple free lessons. I narrowed my choice to wing chun. The contact reflexes learned through Chi Sao training was also a big deciding factor for me, as I wear contacts/glasses, so being able to continue to fight effectively while deprived of sight was a priority. The instructor I selected was very approachable and easy to talk with, not full of macho chest-thumping BS, and who very obviously had a high level of skill. Eight months later, I'm still his student and look forward to studying with him for the years to come.

Just my opinion: If the students do not spar in class, go someplace else. Kata and forms are great, but being able to properly apply that knowledge is critical. More to the point, the first time you learn to take a punch should not be when someone means to deprive you of your wallet.

On the subject of fitness, my sifu is fond of saying, "I don't like to exercise, so I do martial arts." In the short time I've studied with him, I've lost 20 pounds, 2.5" off my waist, and can now actually touch my toes with my knees locked out for the first time in years.

Last edited by vertigo7; 07-20-2005 at 22:17..
vertigo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 12:23   #6
bluemeanie
Lospeedhidrag

Send a message via Yahoo to bluemeanie

Quote:
Originally posted by Roundeyesamurai
Veri,

If you guys are gonna post sensible, non-inflammatory stuff like that, how are we ever going to amass 20-page threads? This guy asked for information and you gave him...information. Weak.

BTW, +1

Edit to add: My chosen style is USA Goju Karate. My choice od school was based on the instructors and their training style. I got into it to "complement" my handgun training and then sort of realized that I needed it for a foundation in the first place. Rebuilding has commenced.
Phillipians 3:12-14

Last edited by bluemeanie; 07-21-2005 at 12:28..
bluemeanie is offline   Reply With Quote