Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-24-2005, 22:45   #21
Skpotamus

Send a message via AIM to Skpotamus
no prob, the key to entering is your footwork, once you get your footwokr down better, you'll notice you start dominating the bigger guys with poor footwork. I've been fighting pro and semi pro Muay Thai and MMA since 1999 and my instructor still smacks me around and he's 5'8" and 140lbs. Soemtiems it feels liek I'm a little kid trying to fight his dad, for every strike I land he lands 4 or 5, all due to his superior footwork. He gets in on me when he wants in, and is always that extra inch otu of range when I try to land on him.

If you can, get some UFC tapes and watch Randy Coutore fight. He does an excellant job of getting into the clinch on aggressive strikers, his match against Vitor Belfort was a textbook use of lateral movement and footwork to close the distance and destroy the attacker.
Skpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 17:04   #22
garythenuke

I am joining late on this thread, but I have two suggestions. First, if you can get a CCW, learn to shoot very well, carry a Glock and never look back. Second, look for a school that uses full contact sparring. For example, Demi Barbito at CSPT.com uses redman suits so his students can go full speed and strike full force at any and all targets.
You do need to learn slowly, but you need to practice all of your techniques at full speed and with full contact at some point. It sounds like you have gotten great advice and that you are heading in the right direction.
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 18:00   #23
ForGreatJustice

Thanks...but....

Thanks for the encouragement. I do have a CCW and a Glock (amongst other weaopns) that go with me wherever possible. But its a dangerous mistake to substitute unarmed fighting skills with weapons. I took up unarmed combat because I came to the realization that it is almost impossible to deploy a weapon in time to stop a close range attack. In every training scenario, and every actual encounter I've ever experienced (although, my experience is very limited), the attacker had the initiative; therefore I could only immediately defend and counterattack. Deploying a weapon requires an opportunity that can't be taken for granted; it has to be insured beforehand, or created during the engagement.

That, in a nutshell is why I'm focusing so hard on my unarmed combat skills. I could go into (dis)parity of force, and how shooting isn't the solution for everything, but that's a whole other bag of beans.
Old 09-04-2005, 19:23   #24
garythenuke

That is a wonderful start. It looks like you took the correct initiative and that you have had plenty of training to realize that firearms are not always the panacea lots of folk make them out to be.
That being said, what about a full contact school? I agree three hundred percent with the former post that stated in essence "if you cannot use it full force in training, it should not be in your arsenal for when things go bad". Forgive me if I misrepresented the former quote...
Have you found a school yet that allows you to punch full force to any target or kick or headbutt or elbow or knee a moving, albeit well-padded, human target?
I think that may well be your next logical step in training.
Old 09-04-2005, 20:16   #25
ForGreatJustice

Will do

I think you are right. I have to admit I haven't spent a lot of time research full contact schools in the area. Although we throw full force attacks when we spar (or as hard as we want), our target areas are limited since we don't have red man equipment, and we often have students of disparate strength/size fighting each other.

I'm not really sure how to evaluate this: Certainly, I have not learned all I can learn from my current form of sparring. I don't have the footwork and the offensive/defensive transition skills that I would consider decent. However, our sparring practice does limit what techniques I can employ. Especially the full-power front kicks. I'd also like to find a place that focuses on defense against weapons. But its very difficult to find a place that practices real knife/stick/gun defenses with the intent of having you use them. They always seem to be halfheartedly taught as a supplement everywhere I go.

Last edited by ForGreatJustice; 09-04-2005 at 20:21..
ForGreatJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 21:27   #26
garythenuke

Although this is a long way from Florida, check out www.demibarbito.com . He has a good selection of instructional videos/DVD's, and his training and facility are quality enough to plan a vacation around in my opinion. He does tactical shotgun, handgun, and every and all things in between. His video clips are entertaining.

good luck
Old 09-30-2005, 14:35   #27
bluemeanie
Lospeedhidrag

Send a message via Yahoo to bluemeanie

Whew. Great questions, great answers. There's hoope for our forum yet. I can only say as a 6'3" 270-pounder, that between my 5'5" 150lb instructor and me, technique ALWAYS wins the day. Keep at it.
Phillipians 3:12-14
bluemeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 15:06   #28
Zenhachirou
BIG KILLA

I'm a tall guy, 6 feet, and I weigh in at 165 pounds. I have a WAY HARDER TIME fighting small guys than I do fighting big guys. Big guys are easy to fight; they get tired faster, they're a bigger target... Hell, the guy who got me into Vale Tudo fighting is only 5'8" and he beats the **** out of me daily. It's way easier for him to keep his defense tight, and his offense snappy. Shorter guys are tougher to throw, tougher to hit... that is, as long as they know how to defend properly and use explosiveness in their techniques.

I, like some of the other guys here, really take issue with the "well I could do this, but not in sparring" comment. If you can't practice it, how do you know it works? ;f
Old 09-30-2005, 15:18   #29
ForGreatJustice

I agree.

It's absolutely dangerous to try and rely on techniques that you can't practice. That's why certain types of "mano a mano" fisticuffs type sparring don't teach me a lot except how to box.

BTW, "defending properly" is part of my problem. Our school doesn't do enough drilling in defense, and I'm generally left with pain as a teacher (and with all due respect to those who use it as an educational tool, its useless if not supplemented by drilling).
Old 09-30-2005, 15:21   #30
Zenhachirou
BIG KILLA

So what do you have trouble defending against? Is it countering a taller opponents long reach?

What side do you fight?
Old 10-03-2005, 13:30   #31
mhill

Whenever I've been faced with the problem of a bigger opponent it's always fun to make them pay for attacking. I use my elbows to strike when they attack. A front kick into an elbow can be pretty painful. If they throw a sidekick a simple step aside is in order to let them wear themselves out. If the throw a roundhouse you can do the old elbow to the shin routine. They will become frusterated and start to use their hands. This is where your boxing skill would take over and you can counterpunch effectively.

Obviously when getting in close you have to be weary of the wrestling moves because at your small size you will get owned by the larger person.

Contrary to what some people think "size matters". You can compensate but you also need to know what is possible.

mhill
Old 10-03-2005, 16:35   #32
Zenhachirou
BIG KILLA

Anybody who knows how to grapple knows that size doesn't really matter. I take on guys who are 3 inches taller and 60 pounds heavier than me on a regular basis.
Old 10-03-2005, 21:05   #33
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Re: small people vs. big. Krav Maga and sparring.

Quote:
Originally posted by ForGreatJustice
Hi guys. This is a simliar topic to the women thread below, but I'd like to get a bit more technical with my question. I'm 5'4", 140 lbs. I have always had a very difficult time visualizing and implementing proper grappling mentally, and have always had a predilection for striking. I've taken up a year of Krav Maga at our local ATA franchises, and progressed pretty well.

My problem? I get owned when sparring. Consistently, no matter what I've tried. A lot of my favored techniques in KM can't be practiced well against a live opponent for safety reasons (i.e. the front "door" kick), but I constantly find my extremely short reach to be a handicap when sparring. I feel its important to learn the sense of distance, when doing so, but I don't feel like I have any way to threaten my opponent. I receive a lot of conflicting advice from the instructors (get in close, stay far away, move in and out, etc) and all of it comes up lacking. It's impossible for me to get close enough to land a punch to a 6', 240lb. man without giving him an excellent opportunity to bash my skull in. There are a lot of kicks which I practice frequently but at our school, we do not spar with them because of safety concerns. Really, only tae-kwon do style side kicks and round kicks to the common peronial (sp?) are used.

Does anyone have some basic guidelines and actually being able to threaten my opponent? Because I'm getting very minimal value out of sparring practice due to the fact that I am either always dancing, never fighting, or foolishly rushing in once I get frustrated, and getting knocked out. I feel that fighting against a live opponent is one of the best forms of practice, but it seems so easy for everyone else, and so hard for me.
First of all, if you are serious about developing your ability to defend yourself in real situations, get as far away from the ATA as possible. They are arguably the worst organization out there when it comes to teaching crap material. You're having problems because of the glorified tag sparring that they are teaching you. ATA has partnered with Krav Maga and most of the people teaching it in ATA schools did a little bit of training in it, but still think like TKD folks. If you feel Krav Maga is the art for you, go directly to the real school and get away from the dancing school.

Last edited by Halojumper; 10-03-2005 at 21:10..
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2005, 19:02   #34
ForGreatJustice

Fighting fast the hands.

I generally have trouble countering an opponent's reach. It requires me to "trick" the opponent, or have him make a mistake in order for me to enter past his hands. I've had some success with techniques mentioned earlier in this thread, where one can "pass" the extended punch with an inside block and access the kidney/floating ribs on that side, and (with some luck) come underneath with an uppercut.

That said, it's still very difficult. I really don't have trouble with an opponent's kicks. Usually, big heavy folks swing their legs like logs. Sucks if you get hit, but easy to avoid. More often than not, its going on the offensive that is very difficult for me. A larger opponent can viably counter my kicks with punches, and my punches with more punches.

Size doesn't matter much in grappling. Until your opponent drops an elbow on your head that's the size of your leg. It's easy enough to wriggle out from underneath a large opponent who has mounted you, but I'd hate to try that on gravel, or used needles, or any other surface that isn't a rubber mat.
Old 10-04-2005, 19:06   #35
Zenhachirou
BIG KILLA

That's why you get the takedown first. And stay on top!
Old 10-04-2005, 20:54   #36
ForGreatJustice

Amen!

Roger that!!!

As far as the ATA Krava Maga schools go, its notable that the more serious instructors who assist there never stay long. I am looking into other schools in the area.