TED

Russian Martial Arts, Systema...

Anyone know anything about this?

TED
TED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 23:02   #2
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Send a message via AIM to Roundeyesamurai Send a message via Yahoo to Roundeyesamurai
What would you like to know, specifically?
Roundeyesamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 23:29   #3
TED

Hard or soft?

Linear or Circular?

Stiking or grappling?

Or maybe mixed and in what percentages for example, 90% grappling and 10% striking or some other mix.

Including weapons or not, if so which ones, in particular firearms and knives for example?

Approach to disarming and degree of focus here. For eexample, do you take the weapon away from them and then finish them or trap the weapon, finish them, then take it. Seriously, I have noticed a difference between these two approaches in different arts.

Psychic....????!!!! WTF??? Is this a mistranslation and they really are meaning psyche or mindset or are they talking about psychic in some other sense? Is this strictly traditional mindset (overcoming fear and panic, being agressive in defense etc.) or is it something different and if so what exactly are we talking aobut and is it BS or not.

TED
Old 07-22-2005, 23:43   #4
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Send a message via AIM to Roundeyesamurai Send a message via Yahoo to Roundeyesamurai
Well, the biggest difficulty in answering your questions, is the same difficulty presented by many other martial arts- imitators. What applies for genuine Sistema might not be reflected in imitations.

It's, generally, a hard style, emphasizing striking and grappling, along with weapons skills (including firearms).

From what I have seen, the emphasis on countering weapon attacks is to "make the weapon moot", so to speak (moving it off-line, trapping, etc.) while simultaneously counterattacking the attacker.

Most of Sistema's curriculum is preemption-based.

The use of "psychic" should probably be preceeded by "for want of a better translation" (from Russian)- they are referring to "gut feeling", "well-developed intuition", "clarity of thought", and other concepts which are pretty commonplace in other nations' martial systems.

A good source of information on Sistema is James Williams. His site is http://www.dojoofthefourwinds.com

Hope this helps.
Old 07-23-2005, 09:51   #5
TED

Actually I visited that site. I was looking at another thread in which you participated, I saw in the other thread your link to that site and in my exploration thereof found the link to Systema. Hence the questions here.

TED
Old 07-23-2005, 16:42   #6
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Aaahhh, gotcha.
Old 07-23-2005, 17:12   #7
TED

In looking through the articles, it wasn't that they didn;t provide enough information per se, just that it was above my level of undertanding, hence the specific pointed questions above.

Do you think you might be able to help me understand it to some degree in the limited context of my understanding of the above terms?

TED
Old 07-23-2005, 17:29   #8
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Sure thing.

Actually, if you'd like detailed stuff, shoot me a PM.

(Not being secretive or anything- discussing it in "real time" saves me from having an argument with my carpal tunnel syndrome LOL).
Old 07-24-2005, 08:22   #9
FifthFreedom

Send a message via AIM to FifthFreedom
www.russianmartialart.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

שנית מסדה לא תיפול
FifthFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 20:34   #10
glock glockler

It's, generally, a hard style, emphasizing striking and grappling, along with weapons skills (including firearms)

Systema is generally soft and it does NOT emphasize grapping at all, when you grap someone you lock yourself up with the opponent and you cannot grab them as well as hold onto your gun, knife, or club.

As far as disarming goes, the man is the threat and not the knife, the knife is only an extension of the threat. You might attack the limb holding the weapon or the person but your aim is not to hyperfocus on the weapon and destroy the man.

The "psychic energy" tapes goes into using a person's reflexes against them. Look at it this way, if I were to slowly put my hand near your crotch or face you'd probably make a sudden move away from my hand. I am not touching you yet you still moved, so if one knows enough about those reactions you can exploit them in you opponent.

We don't have preset forms or techniques in Systema, the idea is to let go and allow your body to do what it wants. Many times in class I will attack a student and they will dispatch me in some way and I'll ask them exactly how they did it and they are not sure or will have to think about it.

glock glockler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 20:41   #11
Roundeyesamurai
Sensei Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glock glockler
Systema is generally soft and it does NOT emphasize grapping at all, when you grap someone you lock yourself up with the opponent and you cannot grab them as well as hold onto your gun, knife, or club.
Another example of the difficulties with semantics- when people ask me if something is "hard style" or "soft style", I generally interpret "soft style" to mean "like aikido, tai chi, etc.".

Essentially, it is a soft style in the same sense that aikijujutsu styles are "soft styles"- "hard" in comparison to their "do" counterparts, but not as "hard" as, say, most styles of Karate.