SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-17-2005, 07:43   #1
jim2037

Send a message via Yahoo to jim2037
Shorinji Kempo

A while back I posted a question about finding a good self defense martial art in another forum. Well I recently decided to enroll in a Shorinji Kempo class and I find it very enlightening. This is my first foree into the martial arts and to be perfectly honest, Im out of shape. Well this class has taught me just how out of shape I am!

The instructor is a very well educated and encouraging young man and I think I will be able to learn alot from him. My only problem lies in being 35 years old and being a white belt in a class of people half my age. Oh well there is no mercy for the old fat man in there let me tell you.

I hope to be able to post in here more often to share my experiences and learn from those of you who are more expereinced in the arts. anyone in here ever studied Kempo before?

Jim
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" --Samuel Adams
jim2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:54   #2
Hesparus

Send a message via AIM to Hesparus
Kempo has some very excellent styles. I cannot speak for all of the styles but the ones I have studied have been great. My style is heavily influenced by Shaolin and Shorinji-ryu styles (although I couldn't tell you which parts) and I have studied Kosho-ryu and Ryu-Kyu independantly. Shorinji-ryu is a very versitile art that allows you to understand many different aspects of the martial sciences. What it really comes down to, though, is the instructor and it seems like you've got a good one. Everyone will give different advice, but mine is if you like your instructor (and he is open-minded) then don't ever leave. There are good styles and there are good instructors. When you find that the two coincide it's not something that you want to pass up. Since this is your first martial art, I think shorinji-ryu will give you an excellent base. If you want to switch styles or arts later on, or take other classes in addition, the knowledge base you are likely to learn will make the transition easy. I do recomend that you diversify but IMO it's a good idea to stick with one thing for a few years to get a good skill base and to avoid confusion (no doubt, I'll catch a lot of flack for saying all of this).
Good luck in your endeavors.

- Chris
Old 08-17-2005, 23:03   #3
brock sampson

Don't worry about your "pace". Stick with it and down the road you're likely to look around and notice that a lot of those kids are missing. Remaining faithful is often the hardest part for the first year or so. We are all on the same journey you are! It's perfectly normal to feel out classed, too slow, sloppy, or out of shape as you said. It gets better as your skills (and understanding) grow but, you'll always feel a step behind where you want to be. That's the carrot that keeps us all going I guess.

Good luck and keep it up. BTW, I'm just curious where you train. I'm in Savannah and SC is just over the river. If it's not too far and there are no objections I would like to sit in on a class possibly .
brock sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 09:25   #4
jim2037

Send a message via Yahoo to jim2037
Quote:
Originally posted by brock sampson
Don't worry about your "pace". Stick with it and down the road you're likely to look around and notice that a lot of those kids are missing. Remaining faithful is often the hardest part for the first year or so. We are all on the same journey you are! It's perfectly normal to feel out classed, too slow, sloppy, or out of shape as you said. It gets better as your skills (and understanding) grow but, you'll always feel a step behind where you want to be. That's the carrot that keeps us all going I guess.

Good luck and keep it up. BTW, I'm just curious where you train. I'm in Savannah and SC is just over the river. If it's not too far and there are no objections I would like to sit in on a class possibly .
Thanks for the encouragement, I live in the upstate of SC and my Dojo is in Charlotte NC. It would be quite a haul for you to come but if you wish you would be more than welcome to sit in. The website for my dojo is www.mati.com. Click on schools and then click on MATI-CSC. This will open the page for my particular dojo.

Jim
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" --Samuel Adams
jim2037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 19:45   #5
brock sampson

Thanks for the invite! I know folks in Rock Hill and Charlotte and I'm on the road all the time so I may just see you one of these days.
brock sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:33   #6
seed

Quote:
Originally posted by brock sampson
Excellent post! This is exactly what I needed to hear/read, and it's not even my thread.
seed is offline   Reply With Quote