Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-20-2005, 11:12   #1
Gastonite

If you could only use one move...

I admit I know next to nothing about martial arts. I have always carried spray or Glock or both, and expected those options to get me out of nonlethal and lethal altercations (not to forget a sound mind!).

My question for those practicing martial artists...if you could teach a newbie one "move": best punch, kick, hold, etc to get me thru the day, what would it be? I realize every situation is different and there are no miracle manuevers, but I would like to know your thoughts on a practical target area to hit, or move to practice that I can compliment my hand-held weapons with.

Any ideas, suggestions, no-no's?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-2005, 11:27   #2
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

Re: If you could only use one move...

...it would be to run away.

One magic punch might not work, that's why logical combinations which are easily mastered are so useful. Examples include, eye gouge and/or palm heel strike to the philtrim (mustache) which might be sufficient, but if not, should at least open up the throat for any of several strikes (straight fist, hammerfist, edge of hand, elbow, whatever works at that range and available angles). These two strikes in this order are a good "one-two" punch combo to begin with, plus they can look as innocent as two attempted punches to the face, in case you worry about hostile witnesses in front of a jury.

Targeting the solar plexis or groin is sometimes useful, but IMHO secondary to the face between the eyes and the larynx, inclusive, whatever presents itself. Fancy skills like kicking a knee or throwing somebody to the ground are harder to learn, less instinctive, and thus less useful then a fast hard attack to the face & neck.

If you miss the philtrim, high or low, hitting the bridge of the nose, with the palm of your hand, between the eyebrows or smashing the chin into the brain are still not too bad for a first strike.

These are the basics of combatives, which are only one aspect of the entire martial arts spectrum. Somebody better check my spelling of "philtrim."
"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 12:06   #3
SmartOne
GoingIn CoverMe

;Q What an interesting question! I've taught a few completely inexperienced people how to grapple. My answer would be, 'Nothing!'

I wouldn't teach a strike, first; I'd teach, 'fades' and, 'parries'! For civilians I'd, next, teach hand and finger attacks. For really serious work I'd offer high attacks to the eyes in combination with low attacks to the shins and feet.

(But, what the hey, I'm getting too old for any of this now - anyway!)
Old 04-20-2005, 13:24   #4
mhill

That's a funny question.

I liked the "run away" answer.

If I was pressed I would say a simple Judo throw. I used this once on a guy who wanted to fight me. He hit his head on a tile floor and was out cold. I can't help it if the guy never learned how to fall can I?

This wouldn't be effective in most life or death situations.

mhill
Old 04-20-2005, 19:11   #5
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
+1 for run-fu.

I usually show them a mata-leo choke (sounds better than the american name, rear-naked choke) but that is only because I want to show them the effectiveness of technique in general, there is no way I expect them to be able to use it in a fight immediately.

If I could only show them one technique, it would be two to the chest, one to the head with whatever caliber they carry.

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 21:52   #6
Gastonite

Thanks for the replies so far. "Run-fu" would be my first option in all SHTF scenarios, if applicable/practical.

In college we had some instructors come to our fraternity following a big brawl to help us better deal with some of the unfortunate characters that parties so often brought into the house. They suggested we focus down the centerline of the torso: nose, gut, or nutsack.

I never did get a chance to apply these techniques, as I was always back in my room with a lady by the time anything got outta hand and never heard a thing until it was all over and there were sirens outside meaning the cops showed up. I can't say I feel like I really missed anything, though. ;f
Old 05-01-2005, 22:25   #7
Brian@ITC
Instructor

I teach ETK. That would be:
Eyeballs
Throat
Kneecaps

If they can't see, breathe, or walk then they can't get you. But if you want a target that is most likely to end the fight quickly, I would say a blow to the lyrnax (sp). He might have a little fight in him for several seconds, but he probably won't last long while he is trying to get his breath!

"One Concept... Many Tools"
Brian@ITC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 23:15   #8
Ironeagle74

Always always try to defuse the situation or get the hell away. If you cant id def use the pepper spray in a situation where you couldnt get away. If the fight has to go down on the street and you have no choice and your life is in danger....do what you need to do to win.

My coach was in Blockbuster a couple years back and a guy was in the store stirring up trouble with the cashier and others around him and my coach was going to do something about it but decided not too. Well, when my coach went outside he saw the same guy pull up his shirt to his friends and he had a nickel plated auto stuck in his pants. Moral of the story, never fight unless you cant get away or ure family is in danger.

As for one punch, there are so many different senarios there is no way to pick just one.
Ironeagle74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 14:00   #9
scottsummers

Biting is the best in close because it TOTALLY stops the other person from punching, moving or anything. Slapping is really good too. You get slapped in the face like girls do then you will be stunned for awhile. A sidekick that steps through the leg and stands on them too is really good. IT is all one move. Kick through and use all your weight and stand on the leg. It will usually take them down and subdue them because you are standing on their leg.
Old 05-10-2005, 17:37   #10
Halojumper

Send a message via AIM to Halojumper Send a message via Yahoo to Halojumper
Re: If you could only use one move...

Quote:
Originally posted by Gastonite

My question for those practicing martial artists...if you could teach a newbie one "move": best punch, kick, hold, etc to get me thru the day, what would it be?
The single finger take down from 1911-Jutsu
Halojumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 21:04   #11
Mushinto
Master Member

Re: Re: If you could only use one move...

Quote:
Originally posted by Halojumper
The single finger take down from 1911-Jutsu
I hate silly answers. But you get extra points for spelling "Jutsu" correctly.

ML
Mushinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 22:48   #12
bunkerbuster

If the BG has a terrible aim, I would runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

bunkerbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 12:18   #13
catches

Quote:
Originally posted by SmartOne

I wouldn't teach a strike, first; I'd teach, 'fades' and, 'parries'!

+1
catches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 21:37   #14
Scorpius
Skeptic

Send a message via AIM to Scorpius
Run like hell if you can. If you can't, fight to win, because most serious altercations suck when you're in second place. I personally like the hammer-fist to the sinus-area, followed by either a knife-hand to the throat or a sidekick to the knee. Even if don't break the leg (which isn't the goal, the goal is to get away unharmed), his leg would still be throbbing pretty badly, and you should be able to outrun him, no problem. Just some thoughts from an evolving martial artist.

Mike
Scorpius
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2005, 22:07   #15
scottsummers

thats pretty good stuff. Another thing you might want to add since your running- if you knock him down or whatever stomp on the inside of his shin near the ankle as hard as you can. He will definitely not be able to chase you.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:20   #16
onemangang

This is an interesting question I've thought alot about.
I like the webbed hand to the throat option. HOWEVER, I find myself always looking at peoples throats and they're all different!
Some peoples throats are WIDE open, meaning there is alot of space between their collar bone and chin. These folks would have a hard time defending a throat punch. On the other hand there are those no-neck individuals that don't offer very much of a target! These opponents would get different treatment!
onemangang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:38   #17
scottsummers

We have a technique in not "my system" but the one i practice. It opens up the throat either way. You do a fingerjab/ palmslap to the eyes and push your hand against their face in a dragging fashion. That stuns them while tilting their head back and gives you the most accessible way to hit their throat. There is several techniques after the sequence, that is just the first two but it is a good way to open it up.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:43   #18
ElectricZombie

Snap kick to the groin
Palm strike to the chin
Chop/punch to the throat
Old 06-16-2005, 12:46   #19
robwebbg22
DeOppressoLiber

Getting kicked in the balls is not an immediate take down. People get geeked up an sometimes the pain does not hit them until the fight juices start to dissapaite. (Thats a fact!) Anyway I believe if forced into a situation you can not walk away or run from I would tell them a shot to the throat is the easiest to hit an most effective target in stopping power. Kicks to the lower leg can be very painful to the kicker as well as the kickee.

British have a very good technique they teach to their special opps guys called nutting. Basically you lower your head an use it to ram it into the face/nose of the perp very powerful an good percentage to make a solid strike in close quarter situations.
Old 06-20-2005, 22:21   #20
Jasestrong

Choke, Choke, Choke, Choke, did I say Choke. After 23 years of orgainized Martial Arts the choke is the most effective and easyiest to learn. My 2 cents.

Jason
Jasestrong is offline   Reply With Quote