SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:08   #1
Maximaking

Send a message via AIM to Maximaking

What power impact wrench for strut?

Guys, I'm looking to pickup a cheap impact wrench for basic car jobs. I plan on doing struts and similar stuff. I was thinking electric because I don't have room for an air compressor nor the need to have anything that high end. I was thinking of getting one with about 210 lb/ft of torque.

How does this sound
Todd
Old 07-31-2005, 19:10   #2
45acp4me
Pissed puppet

Never skimp on an impact wrench purchase. Cheap impacts sometimes won't break free nuts or bolts that are rusted or under high torque. Go with at least a 250ft. lb rating.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
45acp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 19:14   #3
areet

Send a message via AIM to areet
Hate to tell ya, but never skimp on tools. Buy the best you can afford, because nothing's worse than spending ~100 bucks on a tool, when you could have had the end-all-be-all version for 50 dollars more, and having the one you bought NOT be able to get the job done, then you have to go back and buy the good one you should have bought in the first place.
Glock 20 hardchromed slide
Glock 29 on "lay-away"
AR-15
areet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 20:34   #4
chadster1
dealer for

Makita makes some great 3/8" cordless impacts. Get one with the highest voltage you can afford. Now if you want the best 1/2" cordless impact on the market, the Snap-on 18 volt cordless 1/2" impact (CT3850) is the best one you can get. If you are interested, I can get you a good deal on the makita or Snap-on.

Chad McFarlane
Authorized dealer for Snap-on Tools
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:34   #5
imi-pro

IR! Ingersol-Rand is the only way to go for a good GP air tool. An IR 235 can be had for around $100 bucks. Very durable, readily available rebuild parts and good on power. I have a big Mac gun (built by IR) and a Chicago Pathetic (pneumatic), but always grab the IR first. Never skimp, your knuckles will thank you later.
imi-pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 13:44   #6
fiveoboy01

As a diesel technician and a person who has used/purchased a LOT of tools, I agree with pretty much everything said here. IMO the only cordless electric impact worth a damn is the one offered by Snap-On and it's very pricey. Even then you'll have batteries go dead and a good pneumatic gun will produce far more torque.

For what you pay for the Snap On cordless setup, you can have a small compressor from Sears and something like an IR 2131Ti 1/2" drive gun, which will be more than you'll ever need for any kind of auto work. I believe it's rated in the 600 ft-lbs range, and it has a composite body, which makes it the lightest 1/2" pneumatic gun you can buy. I've got one and it works well. Plus if you have the compressor, you can use it to run other tools later.
Rimfire Club #6923
Walther Club #310
Niners Club #8989
fiveoboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 20:58   #7
chadster1
dealer for

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveoboy01
As a diesel technician and a person who has used/purchased a LOT of tools, I agree with pretty much everything said here. IMO the only cordless electric impact worth a damn is the one offered by Snap-On and it's very pricey. Even then you'll have batteries go dead and a good pneumatic gun will produce far more torque.

For what you pay for the Snap On cordless setup, you can have a small compressor from Sears and something like an IR 2131Ti 1/2" drive gun, which will be more than you'll ever need for any kind of auto work. I believe it's rated in the 600 ft-lbs range, and it has a composite body, which makes it the lightest 1/2" pneumatic gun you can buy. I've got one and it works well. Plus if you have the compressor, you can use it to run other tools later.
I think you mean IR2135TI.

The Snap-on CT3850 lists for $489.95, an IR2135TI can be bought for around $250. Does Sears sell a $250 compressor that is big enough to run air tools worth a damn? I agree that buying a compressor would be better in the long run but like everyone has said, dont skimp on what you purchase. If you buy a compressor that is too small, you will wish you had gotten a bigger one when you are waiting for the air pressure to return after using your impact for 30 seconds.

For someone doing light automotive work on the weekends, the IR231C which sells for $120-$150 would probably be a better choice for the money.

Last edited by chadster1; 08-04-2005 at 21:17..
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 00:17   #8
fiveoboy01

Quote:
Originally posted by chadster1
I think you mean IR2135TI.
Thanks for the correction

Quote:
The Snap-on CT3850 lists for $489.95, an IR2135TI can be bought for around $250. Does Sears sell a $250 compressor that is big enough to run air tools worth a damn? I agree that buying a compressor would be better in the long run but like everyone has said, dont skimp on what you purchase. If you buy a compressor that is too small, you will wish you had gotten a bigger one when you are waiting for the air pressure to return after using your impact for 30 seconds.

For someone doing light automotive work on the weekends, the IR231C which sells for $120-$150 would probably be a better choice for the money.
I am not sure what sears offers for compressors, but I believe you can get a fairly large one for 300 or so. In any case, a 300 buck compressor and a 231 would be less, or close to, the cost of Snap-On's cordless setup - and would work better in my opinion. I know several people with the cordless setup and they do work great for lighter duty stuff. A lot of guys have them to change tires at the drag strip. I guess for continuous use I just don't think they're ideal.
Rimfire Club #6923
Walther Club #310
Niners Club #8989
fiveoboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:30   #9
Maxthemutt

I have the Snap On CT 3850 cordless 1/2 impact gun and it is great. It was expensive but if you want to go cordless or just not have an air compressor it's what I'd get.

If you don't mind an air compressor, sears has cheap noisy reliable ones for general use, (I have two), I'd get an IR 231 impact gun. I would guess this combo could be had for well under $400, without looking up prices.

Good luck, Max
Maxthemutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:56   #10
Dandapani

I bought a Porter-Cable PT502 500 ft-lbs from Lowes for under $100 when I put in a lift kit on my son's Jeep. It is adjustable down to 200 ft-lbs. Don't scrimp on the torque.
Florida Glockers, Wheelhouse, S&W, Snubbie #940
Dandapani is offline   Reply With Quote