Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

 
  
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2005, 06:23   #1
c5367
Esq.
 
c5367's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Indiana!
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to c5367
Acura TL v. Audi A4 v. Infiniti G35 v. Caddy CTS-V

I'm in the market for a new car and I think I've narrowed it down to these 4 models, all with a do-it-yourself gearbox and navigation. There are a few others, but a Wrangler doesn't quite fit in with these sedans. So far, I've test driven the Acura and the Audi.
First impressions: The Acura offers a ton of amenities for the money, and I can get a pretty good deal on it. I particularly like the bluetooth handsfree system, and I'm almost to the point of considering it a must-have option. The interior is very nice. Everything is laid out almost perfectly and the fit and finish looks nearly perfect. The guages/lighting scheme are pleasant to look at as well. The car had plenty of power throuhgout the rev range, and after the VTEC switches at about 4700, its surprisingly quick for what is essentially an Accord. On the downsides, The clutch seems grabby and the shift throws were a bit long. I noticed a tiny bit of torque steer ad the turning radius is much wider than my little VW GTI. The dealer I went to didn't have a 6spd w/ nav in stock, so I didn't get a chance to push all the buttons.

The Audi: I liked the all-red guage lighting, and the feature set is more inline with what I'd like than the Acura. The 06's, I'm told, will have a bluetooth handsfree system that will sync with your phone's phonebook, which the Acura won't do. Also, the stereo system has 2 SD card slots so you can play Mp3's. My inner geek really likes these sorts of things The seats were comfortable. The gearbox has shorter throws than the Acura, but I think it may be ever-so-slightly less precise feeling. I didn't test back to back, so I'm not sure. I liked the quattro system, and here in Chicago-land, I'm certain it would be nice to have in the winter.
The interior feels a little cheaper than the Acura, or maybe "lower tech." As far as power goes, it's nowhere close to the Acura, and actually seems slower than my GTI, despite having a more powerful version of the same engine. This is probably because its putting to power to all 4 wheels and weighs a bit more. Then again, this may not be a bad thing, as I don't need anymore speeding tickets The nav system is a bit clumsy, but it may just require a learning curve. It could be more user friendly though. Generally, I liked the car, but I'm not sure its worth the extra cost over the TL or G35.
I haven't driven the Infiniti or the Caddy yet. Neither has the bluetooth handsfree, which is kind of a negative, especially now that driving while talking on a cell is now a ticketable offense in the city. Both of these cars are RWD, which will be great for more spirited driving, but not-so-good in the winter. Especially the Caddy with its LS6. But then again, it's an LS6!!:D (cue Tim Taylor-esque grunting) On paper its the best performing of the group, but also the most expensive even with the extended GM-employee discount. It's also the thirstiest most expensive to insure.

And now, my questions to y'all out there in GT-land: Does anyone have any experience with any of these rides? If so, are there any nagging little details details that bother you? Little details that you love? What about reliability? User experience in general?
And, are there any comparable alternatives I'm missing?

Thanks in advance for any input, and Stay Safe!
__________________
Glock Armorer, GSSF Master.
c5367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:12   #2
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It
 
fnfalman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: California & New Mexico, US
Posts: 56,398


My adopted dad has a TL, alas it's a slushbox version. I am not a doodads type so all of the electronic gimmicktries mean nothing to me. The Acura is a front driver and that takes a lot of fun out of what could be a great sport sedan. Nonetheless it is a lot of car for the money. The quality and fit & finish are top notch. The Audi leaves me cold. The Infinity is a great car by any standard, but somehow it also leaves me cold. It should be more fun to drive than the TL though. The Caddy, well, I would take it over the rest just because it has lots of oomph on a decently competent chassis. It ain't no BMW chassis, but it's still a good chassis thanks to Opel of Germany.
__________________
Can you dig it?
fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:29   #3
c5367
Esq.
 
c5367's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Indiana!
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to c5367
Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
My adopted dad has a TL, alas it's a slushbox version. I am not a doodads type so all of the electronic gimmicktries mean nothing to me. The Acura is a front driver and that takes a lot of fun out of what could be a great sport sedan. Nonetheless it is a lot of car for the money. The quality and fit & finish are top notch. The Audi leaves me cold. The Infinity is a great car by any standard, but somehow it also leaves me cold. It should be more fun to drive than the TL though. The Caddy, well, I would take it over the rest just because it has lots of oomph on a decently competent chassis. It ain't no BMW chassis, but it's still a good chassis thanks to Opel of Germany.
hmmmm...l.
Maybe I should consider an M3..... Chicks dig Beemers ;z

My objective is really all weather practicality. I'm hoping to get a 999 for my speed fixes
__________________
Glock Armorer, GSSF Master.
c5367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 08:40   #4
grecco
Senior Member
 
grecco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: philadelphia pa
Posts: 4,406


the acura is most likely the best deal for the money.
the g35 has a really good engine
the audi is awesome,but gets really expensive to fix
the caddy has a big strong v-8.

there are a few things i consider when i purchase a car.
1.reliablity
2.value
3.resale value
4.fun to drive

check out carreviews.com, sort like glocktalk for cars.....

personally i would go w/the acura,
i have been driving honda products for ever and they are hard to beat,
good luck, lets us know how you do.
grecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:36   #5
epsylum
Boolit Hoze
 
epsylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Racing Capital, USA
Posts: 14,373


Personally:

Acura: the FWD ruins it for me. Good car, but WHY FWD, honda?

Audi: definately on my list. I love VWs and Audis. Oh I would only get a manual quattro. VW is known for crappy automatics and the quattro fixes the FWD problem.

Infiniti: I would get the G35 sport coupe. Basically a restyled (and better looking IMO) 350Z.

Cadillac: I am not a GM man and would never own one (Vette Z06 aside).
__________________
Quote:
What are you having trouble with? I'll teach it some respect.
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 09:56   #6
c5367
Esq.
 
c5367's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Indiana!
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to c5367
Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
Personally:

Acura: the FWD ruins it for me. Good car, but WHY FWD, honda?

Audi: definately on my list. I love VWs and Audis. Oh I would only get a manual quattro. VW is known for crappy automatics and the quattro fixes the FWD problem.

Infiniti: I would get the G35 sport coupe. Basically a restyled (and better looking IMO) 350Z.

Cadillac: I am not a GM man and would never own one (Vette Z06 aside).
I definitely agree on the FWD with the Acura. If it was RWD or even AWD, I don't think it would even be a question as to which to get.

Right on with G35 coupe v. the 350Z. The only problem is that there isn't a manual w/ nav to be found within 100 miles of here according to infiniti's website. There are a few sedan w/ both, and the little angel on my shoulder says "more practical." But given a choice between a 6-spd coupe or sedan, the coupe wins hands down.

Grecco,
Thanks for the heads up on carreviews.com. I'll check it out
__________________
Glock Armorer, GSSF Master.
c5367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 13:42   #7
milsurp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: WV
Posts: 734
I'll be a friend and help you out here. Buy your top two. Then you and I can drive them and compare notes. Then, give me the one you like least. I wouldn't want you to have buyers remorse. Hell, use me as a tax write off and claim it's charity.
milsurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 13:50   #8
rcm
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Sunapee,NH
Posts: 24
I own a 2002 A4. I really like this car, I had always owned American cars till I married and wife said try the Audi. I drive 70 miles a day back and forth to work so the ride has to be good. It is...I also live in NH so, I don't think I could go w/o quattro now. I have had only one small problem with the car and it was fixed under warranty. It has over 50,000 miles on it now and I drive the snot out of it. I reccomemnd this car.

Other cars we have in the stable, wife drives mini cooper convertible with JCS package and her Colorado 4 door. My other car is a thirty year old 911. I'm not braggin' here just trying to let you know where my thoughts come from.

Rick
__________________
Rick
rcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 19:40   #9
method
Senior Member
 
method's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 6,047
The CTS-V is in a performance (and price) realm a notch or two above the others. It's the only one I've driven out of the bunch, and I like it very much....the others may be peppy, but the V is an all out beast, and can be made faster with fairly simple modifications. Keep in mind it's upwards of $15K dearer than a TL, and they eat back tires in less than 10,000 miles.
method is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 06:08   #10
kawalerzysta
Senior Member
 
kawalerzysta's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Mt Pocono, Pa
Posts: 926
I like G35, because it is RWD (AWD is optional). Caddy would be my second choice. I would stay away from Acura for being FWD and from Audi for having lousy quality.
__________________
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life.
kawalerzysta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 10:56   #11
epsylum
Boolit Hoze
 
epsylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Racing Capital, USA
Posts: 14,373


Quote:
Originally posted by c5367
I definitely agree on the FWD with the Acura. If it was RWD or even AWD, I don't think it would even be a question as to which to get.

Right on with G35 coupe v. the 350Z. The only problem is that there isn't a manual w/ nav to be found within 100 miles of here according to infiniti's website. There are a few sedan w/ both, and the little angel on my shoulder says "more practical." But given a choice between a 6-spd coupe or sedan, the coupe wins hands down.

Grecco,
Thanks for the heads up on carreviews.com. I'll check it out
If your serious about buying a coupe, a good dealer can find one just like you want and do a dealership transfer. My dad got his Maruader that way. They just loaded it up on a truck and drove it here from another state.

Goes to show, if you have money, people will move mountains to get it from you. ;f
__________________
Quote:
What are you having trouble with? I'll teach it some respect.
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 11:28   #12
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer
 
Rob1035's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 2,073
I personally have great faith in Honda/Acura reliability. The sacrifice is of course "status" (which is meaningless to me) and "sportiness", which means a lot....

For a daily driver, I'd like comfort that I dont have to bother with. I just dont trust the Audi like I would the Japanese offerings, especially out of warranty...

That being said, maybe you should try an A6, as that is more inline with the other choices, and the interior and power might be more what you want.

You might also want to check out the new Subaru Legacy GT with the 2.5 Turbo motor. Fairly quick, AWD, with a very nice interior, similar pricing to the Acura, just a thought.
__________________
Rob
Rob1035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 18:01   #13
chris93473
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 252
i would either choose the TL or G35. it's kinda wierd how the G35 has 298hp but the 350Z is less than that. you will get more for the TL in terms of features but the G35 has much more sporting intentions to it.
__________________
no, i will never surrender my firearms to you daley !!!
chris93473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 20:00   #14
bac1023
Senior Member
 
bac1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PA
Posts: 91,385
I'd go with the TL. I love Honda/Acura reliability.
__________________
.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 22:40   #15
epsylum
Boolit Hoze
 
epsylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Racing Capital, USA
Posts: 14,373


Quote:
Originally posted by bac1023
I love Honda/Acura reliability.
+1
But I would add to that anything from Toyota.

Honda engineers everything to work in perfect harmony. That's how they get thier reliability. Toyota overbuilds everything and then pull it back to get reliability (notice toyota doesn't win any HP wars, they dial back the power to get the reliability).

edited to add:

But, man those G35 coupes look FUN!! I had an '86 300ZX non-turbo. I loved driving that car, even if it was falling apart around my ears (stupid mid 80's gadgetry, there is no reason to have my damn car TALK to me).

The pure driving essence of that car, sold me on Z cars. If I had the money today I would own one of the 350's.

BTW ask rockinAR if you should buy a G35.

;f

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=397260
__________________
Quote:
What are you having trouble with? I'll teach it some respect.
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by epsylum; 08-06-2005 at 22:55..
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:06   #16
Z28ricer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 916
Send a message via AIM to Z28ricer
I'd definetly take the V out of the choices, the G35 would be a 2nd, and wouldnt even consider the other two, provided price wasnt a deciding factor that is. The V has great styling and quality, and who can argue with an all aluminum 400 HP Gen3 backed by a T56 ?
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 02:08   #17
epsylum
Boolit Hoze
 
epsylum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Racing Capital, USA
Posts: 14,373


Quote:
Originally posted by Z28ricer
I'd definetly take the V out of the choices, the G35 would be a 2nd, and wouldnt even consider the other two, provided price wasnt a deciding factor that is. The V has great styling and quality, and who can argue with an all aluminum 400 HP Gen3 backed by a T56 ?
With a name like that you wouldn't be biased would you? ;f
__________________
Quote:
What are you having trouble with? I'll teach it some respect.
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 03:45   #18
chris93473
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 252
by the way in that price range i would also say the Lexus IS350 is a good choice too. It has more hp then the G35 but the only damn thing is that the 350 only comes with a six speed auto. the 250 can be combined with a six speed standard.
__________________
no, i will never surrender my firearms to you daley !!!
chris93473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:12   #19
c5367
Esq.
 
c5367's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Indiana!
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to c5367
Quote:
Originally posted by chris93473
by the way in that price range i would also say the Lexus IS350 is a good choice too. It has more hp then the G35 but the only damn thing is that the 350 only comes with a six speed auto. the 250 can be combined with a six speed standard.
When are the new IS's supposed to hit the showrooms?
I've heard rumors that the IS250 will have a AWD option. Plus it will have the bluetooth and a decent audio system. Throw in a 6-spd and Lexus reliability, and I think we may have a winner.
__________________
Glock Armorer, GSSF Master.
c5367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:13   #20
c5367
Esq.
 
c5367's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Indiana!
Posts: 2,570
Send a message via AIM to c5367
Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
+1
...
But, man those G35 coupes look FUN!! I had an '86 300ZX non-turbo. I loved driving that car, even if it was falling apart around my ears (stupid mid 80's gadgetry, there is no reason to have my damn car TALK to me).

The pure driving essence of that car, sold me on Z cars. If I had the money today I would own one of the 350's.

BTW ask rockinAR if you should buy a G35.

;f

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=397260
A twin-turbo G35 coupe??????? ;3 ;3 ;3

So much for practicality;f
__________________
Glock Armorer, GSSF Master.
c5367 is offline   Reply With Quote

 
  
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28.




Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,265
316 Members
949 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,672
Aug 11, 2014 at 2:31