SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:00   #1
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

40mpg with a V8 ... would you be interested?

Would you be absolutely floored if it did 800 miles on a 19 gallon tank? Yea, I don't know how this car (the Audi A8 TDI) did it either, but it's pretty. damn. impressive.

Video on this page --> http://paultan.org/archives/2006/02/...-fuel-economy/
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 13:48   #2
Diesel Scout

Re: 40mpg with a V8 ... would you be interested?

Quote:
Originally posted by Norman
Would you be absolutely floored if it did 800 miles on a 19 gallon tank? Yea, I don't know how this car (the Audi A8 TDI) did it either, but it's pretty. damn. impressive.

Video on this page --> http://paultan.org/archives/2006/02/...-fuel-economy/
My diesel Scout weighs in at just over 5100#'s with me, a full tank of fuel, spare tire and tools. I get around 20-22MPG and with my 33 gallon tank it gives me an absolute range of 693 miles. Typically I fill every 600 just to be on the safe side. It's nice to have that long of range and while I was in college I would fill once a month, if that. This summer while on a cross Oregon back coutry road trip I was with all gassers, they all toted 30-40 spare gallons with them, I had 12 and never had to use them between fuel stops, even while we were on the trail for 2-3 days.
Old 03-23-2006, 19:10   #3
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Too bad we don't get all the diesel variant of cars here (mainly due to EPA emission restrictions). I do like the VW TDIs though and thought very hard about buying one.
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)
http://www.ingunowners.com
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:13   #4
Old School

I was in a waiting room & picked up a car & driver where they were comparing a Porche (Cayman I think) and a Lotus Exige. The horsepower, torque and sticker price figures numbed my mind, but I seem to recall that the Lotus got about 24 MPG.

If someone can make a rocket ship car that gets 24 MPG, there's no excuse other than lack of will for run of the mill cars not approaching double that.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:54   #5
Norman
CLM Number 32
Non nobis

Gas prices in Europe are about 3 times above our average. NO sports car in Europe that averages the mileage we get here with Corvettes and Vipers will be competitive in their market. Thus, you see the technology that exists to be gas efficient actually used over there, whereas here they squeeze you for profits and everyone says "Thank God we only pay $2.40 a gallon, it's cheaper than milk!"

Oh, and their cars last.
Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 19:38   #6
method

Quote:
Originally posted by Old School
I was in a waiting room & picked up a car & driver where they were comparing a Porche (Cayman I think) and a Lotus Exige. The horsepower, torque and sticker price figures numbed my mind, but I seem to recall that the Lotus got about 24 MPG.

If someone can make a rocket ship car that gets 24 MPG, there's no excuse other than lack of will for run of the mill cars not approaching double that.
The Exige is powered by a measly 190 hp Toyota 4 cylinder...its speediness comes from its very light weight, just over 2000 lbs. If you really want to be amazed, look at the Chevy LSx V8's....320-505 underated horsepower, and upwards of 28 MPG.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 14:51   #7
triggerjerk

My six speed ls1 gets 28mpg in sixth gear going about 65mph.

At 85mph that drops to about 24mpg.

I do have a stripper car with mods and the engine is well broken so that prolly helps . . .

However, the around town mileage is atrocious- something around 14mpg. That is probably more an issue of a crappy tune though . . .

I'm sure a lighter C5 six speed would EASILY get 30mpg on the highway.

And yes chevy V8s last

I think turbo diesel 4 cylinders would make great powerplants for these soccer mom suvs/minivans that don't need alot of hp to get to the grocery store and school.

Last edited by triggerjerk; 03-25-2006 at 15:02..
triggerjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 22:13   #8
Victory

I wish we could get european TDI's over here. That and B20 on tap. Unfortunately EPA restrictions have less to do with protecting the environment than they do protecting oil company profits.
Victory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 22:55   #9
MercutioATC

Quote:
Originally posted by Old School

My '83 911 (3.0l flat-six 200hp engine) gets about 24 mpg. With a 20-gallon tank, that's 480 miles...

...I can live with that.
MercutioATC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 00:29   #10
Asha'man
eat the eat!

We get low-sulfur diesel in '07, and I'm thinking that we'll start to see a lot more of the cool diesels that they have in Europe and the rest of the world.

Brian

I have no guns. Guns are bad. I know because the government told me so. The government knows ALL.
Asha'man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 15:29   #11
loki993

Quote:
My six speed ls1 gets 28mpg in sixth gear going about 65mph.
At 85mph that drops to about 24mpg.
I do have a stripper car with mods and the engine is well broken so that prolly helps . . .
However, the around town mileage is atrocious- something around 14mpg. That is probably more an issue of a crappy tune though . . .
it has more to do with the 6 speeds double overdrive than anything else. thats why they get great milage on the highway and crap in the city, but who cares its a 300hp V8, you dont buy one for the gas milage
loki993 is offline   Reply With Quote