SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-07-2005, 10:34   #21
chris93473

Quote:
Originally posted by c5367
When are the new IS's supposed to hit the showrooms?
I've heard rumors that the IS250 will have a AWD option. Plus it will have the bluetooth and a decent audio system. Throw in a 6-spd and Lexus reliability, and I think we may have a winner.
i heard it was supposed to come out October 2006. But keep in mind the six speed man. is only for the 250. by the way if you look at the rear side of the car, it almost looks like a corolla's rear side.

http://www.lexus.com/2006is_preview/
Old 08-07-2005, 10:48   #22
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
Thanks for the link. Not only does the 6-spd only come on the 250, but only the RWD version. The AWD gets a 6-spd auto w/paddle shifters. Depending on how well they work, it might not be too horrible. The F1 racers seems to like the clutchless paddle shifters, so maybe I ought to give them a shot. Looks like everything just got more complicated ;f
Old 08-07-2005, 15:06   #23
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Thanks for the link. Not only does the 6-spd only come on the 250, but only the RWD version. The AWD gets a 6-spd auto w/paddle shifters. Depending on how well they work, it might not be too horrible. The F1 racers seems to like the clutchless paddle shifters, so maybe I ought to give them a shot. Looks like everything just got more complicated ;f
Well it may be an auto, but Toyotas autos are very dependable. My brother had a 91 Camry V-6 auto. He sold it with over 250,000 miles on it. The only problem was a rust hole in the exhaust. The guy he sold it to has done nothing except change oil and add gas and still drives it daily. Last time I heard it was approaching 300k.

Those new Lexus GSs are sweet looking. Personally I was dissapointed to find the AWD was not for the V-8. That would have given Audi a run for thier AWD money.

edited to add:

oh what's this new IS? I miss read that. Now clicking on the link. Oh Oh get that! Man that thing looks sweet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 21:29   #24
tony4311

Just so you're aware they've added a couple of things for the '06 TL. One of which deals with the torque steer.

Since its groundbreaking redesign in 2004, the Acura TL has solidified its place as both the top selling Acura and best-selling luxury sedan in the country. The TL comes equipped with a 3.2-liter, VTEC V-6 engine, a drive-by-wire throttle system, and an available close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with limited slip differential. For 2006, a Tire Pressure Monitoring System is added to the TLís already long list of standard safety features as are two new exterior colors.

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=384913

Quote:
TL
Since its groundbreaking redesign in 2004, the Acura TL has solidified its place as both the top selling Acura and best-selling luxury sedan in the country. The TL comes equipped with a 3.2-liter, VTEC V-6 engine, a drive-by-wire throttle system, and an available close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission with limited slip differential. For 2006, a Tire Pressure Monitoring System is added to the TLís already long list of standard safety features as are two new exterior colors

Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Revised engine management system and steering angle sensor logic help reduce torque steer
New Colors:
Royal Blue Pearl replaces Abyss Blue Pearl
Alabaster Silver Metallic replaces Satin Silver Metallic
Deep Green Pearl discontinued
New horsepower/torque ratings: 258 horsepower SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 6200 rpm, 233 lbs-ft. of torque SAE net (Rev 8/04) at 5000 rpm
tony4311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 21:46   #25
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

LSD, sweet. If only Honda would include it on all their manual FWD cars. Or at least the VTEC ones...
Old 08-08-2005, 09:42   #26
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

<------ Chicks dig Aprilias and not BMWs. ;f

Of course there's the Acura RL with sometimes AWD depending on the road surface and the level of driving enthusiam. Its price is probably pretty close to the CTS-V. More oomphs and luxury than the TL.

And then the 2006 E90 BMW 330i rears its head.;G

I wouldn't buy an M3. The next generation M3 is probably just around the corner. Rumored of V-8 power...;P
Old 08-08-2005, 10:19   #27
c5367
Esq.

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
<------ Chicks dig Aprilias and not BMWs. ;f

Of course there's the Acura RL with sometimes AWD depending on the road surface and the level of driving enthusiam. Its price is probably pretty close to the CTS-V. More oomphs and luxury than the TL.

And then the 2006 E90 BMW 330i rears its head.;G

I wouldn't buy an M3. The next generation M3 is probably just around the corner. Rumored of V-8 power...;P
I've got an appointment Thursday to test the Bimmer 330 and M3. If new M's get the same treatment as the 3-series, I think I'd be glad to take the current model. The new 3-series styling doesn't do a whole lot for me.

I like the RL. The amount of technology in that thing is amazing, but it only comes with the slushbox. Also, truth be told, I'd like to keep it under 40k. I've more or less ruled out the Caddy based on initial, insure and fuel costs. I've managed to rationalize the M3 by taking into account that BMW takes care of everything up to 50k miles, from oil changes to brake pads, and because it amazingly costs less to insure than my VW GTI. And it's an M3;f The $50-52k price tag will likely rule it out as well.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:38   #28
Z28ricer

Send a message via AIM to Z28ricer
Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
With a name like that you wouldn't be biased would you? ;f
Or just informed enough, even you said you'd take a Z06, a CTS-V is a Z06 with a caddy badge, different body panels, and some extra seating room
Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:30   #29
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

A CTS-V is not a Z06 with the Caddy wreath. You're thinking of the XLR which shared the same chassis as the C6. The CTS is based on the Opel.
Old 08-08-2005, 17:51   #30
method

I think what he meant is that the CTS-V utilizes the same motor and transmission as the Z06. The XLR does borrow the chassis structure of the C6, but the motor and transmission are entirely different. The CTS is not based on an Opel, it does share its Sigma chassis with some Opels, but the chassis is a clean sheet design. The Catera was nothing but a rebadged Opel.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 20:11   #31
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by method
I think what he meant is that the CTS-V utilizes the same motor and transmission as the Z06. The XLR does borrow the chassis structure of the C6, but the motor and transmission are entirely different. The CTS is not based on an Opel, it does share its Sigma chassis with some Opels, but the chassis is a clean sheet design. The Catera was nothing but a rebadged Opel.
I don't care who makes it, I am a blue oval guy (if it HAS to be american). The Z06 just has it all, everything else GM makes that is even remotely close to it, is just a wannabe.

BTW I meant I want the 06 (500hp) Z06. But I want a Ford GT about 100 times more.

Anywho, I don't have enough cash for even an Aveo (however it's spelled), so I am just dreaming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 08-08-2005, 20:17   #32
c5367
Esq.

Quote:
I don't care who makes it, I am a blue oval guy (if it HAS to be american). The Z06 just has it all, everything else GM makes that is even remotely close to it, is just a wannabe.

BTW I meant I want the 06 (500hp) Z06. But I want a Ford GT about 100 times more.

Anywho, I don't have enough cash for even an Aveo (however it's spelled), so I am just dreaming.
a Ford GT over a Z06?!?! Ford Sucks! GM rules! and 9mm is for pansies! ;f ;N

j/k

That new Z is looking really good. Plus I hear it can be had with all the luxury goodies as well; leather heated seats, nav, HUD, etc. At half the price of the GT, for me a choice between the two would be a no brainer. Now, if somebody else was buying........
Old 08-09-2005, 01:53   #33
Z28ricer

Send a message via AIM to Z28ricer
Ford sucks anyway and yes I did mean it shares the same engine and Tremec 6 spd manual as the current Z06, both also have IRS, hugemongous brakes and the same pricetag. Ford GT is ok I guess, but if I was going for "supercar" i'd simply get one of these (yes they are chevy powered, and stomp all over the GT :D

Car Forum

Quote:

Z28ricer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:47   #34
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by Z28ricer
Ford sucks anyway
A little uncalled for if you ask me. I never said GM sucks (even though I would rather own a beat up old 88 camry with over 200k miles than about 95% of GM's new vehicles, the camry will be more reliable).

The Ultima is sweet, but it is a kit car. I can find lots of other kit cars that are hella fast too. Some use ford engines.

I actually saw an ultima driving down the street once. I was behind it. It pulled out of Indianapolis Raceway Park when I left my house. They had some big SCCA thing that going on and Car and Driver was there.

Old 08-10-2005, 15:44   #35
c5367
Esq.

Update:
Just got done test driving the G35. My initial thoughts: ehhh. It honestly doesn't feel like it has just short of 300hp. Now, it doesn't feel slow either, but it didn't come across as the Łber-sports sedan some make it out to be. Then again, I really didn't lay into it. The shifter was very short throw, but very notchy and high effort. Definitely not as slick as the Acura or Audi. I did like the RWD, and even through the basic 4-turn test drive it felt like it could attack the twisties better than the other two.
The interior was tasteful and the fit and finish was on par with the Audi, but not the Acura. I did like the way the nav system hides when not in use, but the controls were only slightly better than the A4, which isn't saying much. Further, the intelligent key isn't available on the 6-spd, and no bluetooth. As far as nifty tech features go, the Infinity is behind the competition.
All in all, I'd have to say the G35 is nearly out of the running, unless I could get a very good deal. The salesman mentioned, without my even asking, that he could likely let it go for a touch above invoice. They had quite a few on the lot and the '06's will be here mid-Sep, so my impression is that they're pretty eager to unload them.

Tomorrow, I test the Bimmer 3-series and M3.
Old 08-10-2005, 15:59   #36
Ned Ludd

Send a message via AIM to Ned Ludd Send a message via Yahoo to Ned Ludd
$.02 on 6 speed with paddle shifter:

I have one in my BMW. Takes getting used to and the BMW version works "backwards" from the way you expect. That said, I'd never go back to a manual. The machine shifts quicker than I can even with heel-toe coordination. Plus, it is so much nicer is in long freeway slogs I must endure.

-NL
Old 08-10-2005, 22:01   #37
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Tomorrow, I test the Bimmer 3-series and M3.
My uncle streched financially to get his M3 (got it new in 95). He still loves that car. I rode in it and thought it was really freakin sweet.

But he is a life long BMW fan (has had and still has numerous Beemer bikes and used to have a 2002 until he sold it to my other uncle).

Old 08-11-2005, 09:19   #38
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

I'd take an E36 M3 (especially a 95..) over an E46 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. IMHO, the E46 M3 has been skewed too much towards luxury and not enough sport. I'm not saying its slow or handles poorly, quite the opposite, but to me it just doesn't 'feel' as sporty. I also dont like SMG, its way too much like Gran Tourismo for me to get into...

That being said, the E46 M3 is probably the most sporting of the options in this thread.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:38   #39
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob1035
I'd take an E36 M3 (especially a 95..) over an E46 any day of the week and twice on Sundays. IMHO, the E46 M3 has been skewed too much towards luxury and not enough sport. I'm not saying its slow or handles poorly, quite the opposite, but to me it just doesn't 'feel' as sporty. I also dont like SMG, its way too much like Gran Tourismo for me to get into...

That being said, the E46 M3 is probably the most sporting of the options in this thread.
yeah it is pretty sporty on the inside. I does have a few cool things, but no luxury type things like heated seats and the like.

It has very stiff suspension and seems to handle VERY well. I just wish he would get a supercharger kit. That is the only drawback for me with that car (the E36 m3's)is they need a tad more power.

Old 08-11-2005, 20:18   #40
Hauptmann6

Send a message via AIM to Hauptmann6 Send a message via MSN to Hauptmann6 Send a message via Yahoo to Hauptmann6
The G35 you test drove is fast. You just didn't push it enough. Take it out again and see if you can take it for an afternoon. And jump on it.

Hopefully over labor day I will get to drive a freind of mine's and I will give you more feedback(ridden with him a few times). I can say it is one of the VERY few cars that has scared me as a passenger.
The only things that last forever
Are memories and sorrow
Hauptmann6 is online now   Reply With Quote