Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-23-2005, 05:29   #76
c5367
Esq.

Send a message via AIM to c5367
Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
When buying a performance car, logic has nothing to do with it. It's all about the passion, especially when money is no longer a significant issue. I could have bought an M3 for the same price as my Z4, but why didn't I go with a faster car? Because it's not a two-seater ragtop, because it's heavy and can't be thrown into a corner as easily, and because it doesn't look as cool.

Buy what you want. The CTS-V is an impressive vehicle (thank to its German chassis ) and distinctive looking. But it ain't no BMW, much less M-Powered BMW. Car authorities just don't wake up one day and decided that BMW makes excellent vehicles. Car enthusiasts just don't wake up one day and decided to buy BMW because it's "kewl" or because lawyers drive them.
What began as a quest for a nice, luxury sedan that would be practical and have a touch of sportiness ended up morphing into looking for an all out performer. You're right that when looking for a fun performance vehicle, logic and reason should go out the window. But that is where this beauty comes in.

Car Forum
(Ducati 749R)

While it would be nice to have a 4-wheel toy as well, I do have Chicagoland winters to deal with.;1 Keeping that in mind, I think I have my choices narrowed to the A4 in 1st, 330i in 2nd and TL in 3rd. If the dealer can actually locate a 330i with nav and the other options I want, which at the moment looks as if it may be a problem, that ranking could change.
Old 08-27-2005, 18:22   #77
c5367
Esq.

Well, I finally came to a decision today. After a false start on a 330i, I ended up putting down a deposit on the Acura TL. The dealer came through and got the price down to a few bucks over invoice and the color combo I wanted. I pick it up monday. I'm pretty excited, to say the least;f And with the money saved over the alternatives, I can afford more range time and track days on the bike!
Old 08-27-2005, 18:32   #78
Rob1035
Skeet Surfer

excellent choice imho. A comfy, reliable, yet still semi-fun daily, and toys on the side
Old 09-04-2005, 11:19   #79
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

If the TL that you're getting has a manual tranny, that'll help a lot. Good buy.
Old 09-04-2005, 14:08   #80
c5367
Esq.

Another update: No car yet. As it turns out the car they had promised ended up getting sold out from under them, but they managed to find a black/black instead. It should be in sometime next week. I'm a bit tired of having my chain yanked after hearing a week's worth of "it'll be in tomorrow," though. I may just end up getting my deposit back and order a 330i and deal with the wait.
Old 03-05-2006, 17:58   #81
c5367
Esq.

Heh

I thought it be fun to resurrect this old thread with an update. I ended up buying a TL, which was nice. I traded it in with only 2700 miles on the clock for an '05
G35 Sedan 6MT, w/ everything.

All the guys who said this car was fast were right. The shifter complaints I had were due to the car being cold, but when it warms up the gearbox is very nice. I've read this is due to the short shifter that it comes with from the factory.

It has made it through our lovely Chicago winter thanks to a set of Blizzaks, and it performs wonderfully in whatever crap weather was thrown at us.
Old 03-07-2006, 16:47   #82
TexasGlock23
Salty Collar

Send a message via AIM to TexasGlock23 Send a message via Yahoo to TexasGlock23
G35 or Caddy, parts on Caddy's are expensive also. I know, I sell parts!
G19-wifes
own a GM? visit us at customgm.com
TexasGlock23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 20:29   #83
tgtshuter
Too Beaucoup

Thanks for the update, and congrats on your G35 - with the MT! ^c They are nice cars.

I went thru a siliar test drive comparison (no CTS but tried the Volvo S40T5), and ended up ordering a BMW 325i
tgtshuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 21:41   #84
epsylum
Boolit Hoze

Quote:
Originally posted by c5367
Heh

I thought it be fun to resurrect this old thread with an update. I ended up buying a TL, which was nice. I traded it in with only 2700 miles on the clock for an '05
G35 Sedan 6MT, w/ everything.

All the guys who said this car was fast were right. The shifter complaints I had were due to the car being cold, but when it warms up the gearbox is very nice. I've read this is due to the short shifter that it comes with from the factory.

It has made it through our lovely Chicago winter thanks to a set of Blizzaks, and it performs wonderfully in whatever crap weather was thrown at us.
I am trying to talk my uncle into getting a 350Z Track (he hates all the electronic gizmos and just wants a plain fast and fun car). He just got through his second divorce and is well into his midlife crisis (has been for some time, but now he can spend his money on himself and not on someone else's kids). He needs a fast and badass looking car and he is not a very big fan of American cars.

The hard part is, he is a Beemer freak, but does like Japanese cars and the Z is right in his budget and the "Track" package intruiged him (more fast, less gizmos).

I personally think the G35 coupe looks much better than the Z, but I too would go for the barebones version, the Z. I like bang for the buck. Plus I had an 86 300ZX that had all teh gizoms. Those damn things break later on down the road. My Z had that stupid talking car thing that was big in the 80's, like it was freakin KITT or something. The stupid thing sfreaked out and just started telling me my "Left door is open" over and over and over......, until I found the wire to the speaker and pulled it. The the super-futuristic all digital dash would go out every now and then. Also the POS integrated factory alarm would randomly set itself (I to this day have no idea how to acually set it) and then go off at the worst possible times.

I have had bad luck with Nissan gizmos, no more.

Sorry for the rant. ;f

BTW nice car, where are the pics?
Epsylum (EE-SAI-LUM)
http://www.ingunowners.com
epsylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2006, 09:58   #85
c5367
Esq.

Quote:
Originally posted by epsylum
I am trying to talk my uncle into getting a 350Z Track (he hates all the electronic gizmos and just wants a plain fast and fun car). He just got through his second divorce and is well into his midlife crisis (has been for some time, but now he can spend his money on himself and not on someone else's kids). He needs a fast and badass looking car and he is not a very big fan of American cars.

The hard part is, he is a Beemer freak, but does like Japanese cars and the Z is right in his budget and the "Track" package intruiged him (more fast, less gizmos).

I personally think the G35 coupe looks much better than the Z, but I too would go for the barebones version, the Z. I like bang for the buck. Plus I had an 86 300ZX that had all teh gizoms. Those damn things break later on down the road. My Z had that stupid talking car thing that was big in the 80's, like it was freakin KITT or something. The stupid thing sfreaked out and just started telling me my "Left door is open" over and over and over......, until I found the wire to the speaker and pulled it. The the super-futuristic all digital dash would go out every now and then. Also the POS integrated factory alarm would randomly set itself (I to this day have no idea how to acually set it) and then go off at the worst possible times.

I have had bad luck with Nissan gizmos, no more.

Sorry for the rant. ;f

BTW nice car, where are the pics?
Has he gotten a chance to test drive one yet? The Z are very nice cars. Same motor as the G35, but it weighs 300lbs less and has the front and rear strut braces, so its a bit more capable in the twisty spots. I agree with on the g35 coupe v the Z, but the coupe actually weighs more the the sedan, which is weird. You do at least get a back seat in the G coupe.

I know FNFALman is gonna jump on this, but I'd take the Z over any comparably priced Bimmer any day. I like BMWs, but the value just isn't there, compared to the Z.

Nissna seems to have gotten the gizmos right. The 80's were the beginning of the learning curve for the Japanese auto makers and they're way ahead of the pack now. I haven't had any problems aside from the tires' propensity for collecting nails. Happed right after In put the Blizzaks on. I just switched them out and it happened again Thursday. I was on my way to NOLA and had to stop in some town in Arkansas to get it plugged. Thats where the tire pressure sensor really helped. I wouldn't have know unless it came on.

I'll post some pics when I get back home. On the way down here, it rained from Chicago all the way through Mississipi the entire time, so it's absolutley filthy right now.

Last edited by c5367; 03-11-2006 at 10:02..
c5367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 09:36   #86
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally posted by c5367

I know FNFALman is gonna jump on this, but I'd take the Z over any comparably priced Bimmer any day. I like BMWs, but the value just isn't there, compared to the Z.

If I were to worry about values, I would have bought a Mustang GT.

The Nissan Z is simply too damn heavy, even the Track model is heavy. The real Z is a lot lighter not to mention that the new 2006 has 30-hp more AND larger/ventilated front/rear brakes and significantly revised suspension.

Anyway, I don't really care. Cars bore the hell out of me. They simply aren't fast enough to get my juices going. The only time I'd bring out my car nowadays is to take some chick on a date.

Corvette, Mustang, BMW Motorsports, Ferraris, Lambos, blah, blah, blah. Slow as molasses.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:39   #87
c5367
Esq.

Quote:
Originally posted by fnfalman
...Anyway, I don't really care. Cars bore the hell out of me. They simply aren't fast enough to get my juices going. The only time I'd bring out my car nowadays is to take some chick on a date.

Corvette, Mustang, BMW Motorsports, Ferraris, Lambos, blah, blah, blah. Slow as molasses.
You gotta point here;z Two wheeled fun isn't for everyone though.
Old 03-30-2006, 15:04   #88
matt1512

My opinion go for the caddy. More of a sport luxury. Very nice engine. Ls2 400hp/ 400lbs of torgue. Great drive, nice and responsive. A luxury sedan that most sports cars cant touch.
FLORIDA GLOCKER'S CLUB #1512
matt1512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 15:16   #89
agb

BMW 330i vs. Infiniti G-35

I just traded in my Beemer for a G-35 with sports package at Competition BMW/Competition Infinity in Smithtown, LI. I was at the Beemer dealer to trade up my 330 and decided to walk across the lot. Well, the G-35 is simply better finished and has many benefits which I found out about after taking it out on the road. At first it felt too different from the Beemer, but soon enough I got the hang of it. The Beemer still has a little, a tiny bit of advantage in tight cornering and evasive maneuvers. Overall though, the G-35 is the real deal, almost too cheap for what it actually costs.

It is a larger, more powerful and faster car and smoother in the engine AND transmission. One can feel the difference in less vibration and smoother acceleration. The sports package provides a marginally harder ride and the G-35 is noisier on rough roads. Yet the chassis is tighter. One can get 19" forged wheels, large tires and a great nav system; the G-35 is simply a better deal. Money was really no object here (I buy expensive guns, handmade knives and watches, and high end audio) so price was hardly the determining factor. And if I were a snob I'd not be buying a Japanese car...I'd be buying German.

The seats are far better than the Beemer's (the M3 though matches it.) Hand sewn steering wheel, aluminum pedals, a lot of nice touches and detail. Back seats suck for rear passengers for lack of headroom. But if you wanted a performing sports car with four seats, rather than two, and can make the compromise for the higher performance coupe over the sedan, then take one out for a spin. And yes, they look great on the road...terrific engine and tranny AND chassis and suspension. And the Bose sound system is substantially superior to the Beemer's Harman-Kardon. (As for high end home audio, Bose is a piece of turd.)

Just FYI. I had to travel fifty miles to the Infiniti/BMW dealer and I have a local BMW dealer four miles from my home. Also a Lexus, Mercedes, Jag, Porsche and Audi dealers in the same area. Yet I chose the dealer 50 miles away because he had the car I liked the most and the others did not.

In any event, cars are personal preferences but it makes sense to try out a handful before signing papers. I test drove all of the above...

'Nuff said.

H-K is the answer. What is the question?

http://glocktalk.com/showthread.php?...18#post6000018