SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-07-2005, 00:31   #1
fit4christfit4life
Keef

Send a message via AIM to fit4christfit4life

Walk, Run, or neither. I Need a cardio workout.

I just picked up a bowflex. On my non workout days I want to do cardio. i workout every other day using a bowflex. On my off days I have been speedwalking on the tread mill. I've heard that running isn't that great especially if your trying to build muscle.

Should I even be speed walking?

Thanks for the help.
Matt

*Edit* I was just doing some reasearch on circuit training for the bowflex, I bleive it's called HIIT. Can this replace the cardio workout? Also will this interfere with heavy weight lifting? Using this plan I'll be on the bowflex 6 days a week and only on the bowflex.

Last edited by fit4christfit4life; 08-07-2005 at 01:34..
fit4christfit4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 14:07   #2
California Jack

Four suggestions:

1) Google HIIT (high intensity interval training)

2) Google Tabata

3) Look into "Body for Life" hi-point cardio, a lot like HIIT.

4) Go to Clarence Bass' website. He builds muscle and is CV fit.
Old 08-08-2005, 00:05   #3
FTD

Re: Walk, Run, or neither. I Need a cardio workout.

Quote:
Originally posted by notoriouskeef
I just picked up a bowflex. On my non workout days I want to do cardio. i workout every other day using a bowflex. On my off days I have been speedwalking on the tread mill. I've heard that running isn't that great especially if your trying to build muscle.

Should I even be speed walking?

Thanks for the help.
Matt

*Edit* I was just doing some reasearch on circuit training for the bowflex, I bleive it's called HIIT. Can this replace the cardio workout? Also will this interfere with heavy weight lifting? Using this plan I'll be on the bowflex 6 days a week and only on the bowflex.
I take the radical view of no aerobic work. </P><P> The reason one becomes 'winded'is due to muscular fatigue, in other words, your muscular system carries your cardio system, not the other way around. </P><P> If one is engaged in a sport, it is that sport that must be practiced so that the muscles become used to it. </P><P> I know my view is out of the 'mainstream' but as more research is being done, more emphasis is being placed in anaerobic (wind sprints) vs aerobic work which does wear down lean muscle mass.

Last edited by FTD; 08-09-2005 at 02:52..
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 22:10   #4
Animal Mother
Not Enough Gun

Quote:
Originally posted by California Jack
2) Google Tabata
Why doesn't the profanity filter block that second word? If it's not a dirty word, nothing is.
Old 08-09-2005, 14:51   #5
David Z
Carpe Mundus!

Quote:
Originally posted by Animal Mother
Why doesn't the profanity filter block that second word? If it's not a dirty word, nothing is. [/B]
I googled Tabata, and all I saw was what looks like a fairly benign brand of fitness quackery. Is there more to the story?

About the OP: I like to use an elliptical machine. I ain't no spring chicken, and the jarring on my knees and ankles from the treadmill is alarming. Anyway, it seems to me that being in better aerobic condition helps me give my all when I am weight training, as my wind doesn't give out before my muscles. Biking is low-impact as well, but I don't like my Jimmy going numb after 20 minutes. YMMV of course.
David Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 19:42   #6
California Jack

Quote:
Why doesn't the profanity filter block that second word? If it's not a dirty word, nothing is.
I hear ya. After trying the Tabata Protocol you'll either be wheezing profanity or think the name itself is profanity.

Quote:
I googled Tabata, and all I saw was what looks like a fairly benign brand of fitness quackery. Is there more to the story?
I'm not sure what you mean by benign fitness quackery? Why is it benign or quackery?
Old 08-09-2005, 22:02   #7
David Z
Carpe Mundus!

Quote:
Originally posted by California Jack
I hear ya. After trying the Tabata Protocol you'll either be wheezing profanity or think the name itself is profanity.

I'm not sure what you mean by benign fitness quackery? Why is it benign or quackery?
I mean quackery in a very mild sense... the sort of weird fitness regimen that you read about but nobody you know has actually tried it. I mean benign in that it doesn't look like it would be particularly harmful.

So I am guessing that the profanity references regarding Tabata are referring to the extreme intensity of the workout in an offhand way, rather than a serious criticism of the program. Never mind, I don't care that much really... I am far too busy trying to master the patented "Z-Dawg Unicycle Dumbbell Juggling" program.
David Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 00:11   #8
Unregistered
Senoir member

Here's what I've been doing three times per week for years - it's short, muscle-sparing and scales infinitely with one's level of fitness:

1. Jog 4 minutes to warm up.
2. Interval-sprint for 4 minutes. 20 seconds of sprinting/10 seconds of rest, repeated 8 times.
3. Jog 4 minutes to cool down.
4. Collapse gasping on your doorstep right as the cute upstairs neighbor arrives home with groceries. Wave weakly as she steps over your prostrate form while shaking her head.

#4 might be situation-specific to me.

If you can run the last 20 as fast as the first, you aren't sprinting hard enough. If you can't run 8 intervals, run fewer and work up to it.

I do it right after rolling out of bed and drinking a glass of water. I'm in my 30's, the product of two families of fat people, eat only semi-clean, and I've never not had visible abs.

Warnings:
A. You will look like a dork. People will stare at you because no one sprints in our society unless chased.
B. You will be stopped by the police, who will think you are either up to something or in trouble, because no one sprints in our society unless chased.
C. Dogs. You will, occasionally, actually be chased. I've had them leap fences.

...David Z, I'm gonna smack you. ;N
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 16:23   #9
California Jack

David Z,

I thnk there a quite a few people following the Tabata protocol. Unregistered's workout described in his previous post is the Tabata protocol.

Unregistered,

My diet of Tabata's is not as steady as your's. I do them with squats rather than sprinting. My results are the same as yours; prostate and gasping for air.

Jack
Old 08-11-2005, 13:41   #10
Tango415

Unregistered,

So I loathe distance running. Would the program you outlined work as well, as far as endurance is concerned? How about the weight loss part of the equation, does it work better than pounding out mile after mile? Thanks!!
Tango415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 23:50   #11
Unregistered
Senoir member

I'm a little out of the 'fitness buzz' loop. I wasn't even aware that my workout has been popularly named after the researcher who studied it. All I can say in its favor is that it's kept me lean and (I feel) increased my explosivity.

When I do cardio is at least as important as what type when it comes to fat loss. I get the best results running in the morning, right after waking up and before eating. My aerobic endurance is decent. I wouldn't want to enter a marathon, but when I locked myself out of my car a couple months ago, the 7 mile run to my house and back didn't kill me.
Unregistered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 14:20   #12
California Jack

+1 on Unregistered's thoughts on the time for cardio when trying to loose weight.
Old 08-14-2005, 14:11   #13
LittleLebowski
Urban Achiever!

Best cardio workout that hits every muscle is swimming period. End of subject.
LittleLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 16:28   #14
garythenuke

Beg to differ on Swimming. Swimming is a very good zero impact aerobic exercise, and until you get the rhythm and breathing, it feels alot harder than it is. The downside is that there is no weight bearing aspect to it.

There are lots of proprioceptors that get stimulated when you work against gravity. They stimulate nerves in different paths in your system which in turn stimulate hormone release and metabolic changes. Crosscounty skiing is great. Unfortunately, except for competitive axe chopping, running is the most effcient calorie burning exercise. It kills me with boredom.

For keeping fat off, muscle is necessary. Resistance training in some form is needed for this. Deadlifts, olympic lifting, lots of bowflex resistance rods, big rocks, and heavy sand bags are all ways to get this done.

Tabata squats are awesome. +1+ to Jack for bringing those up. Matt Furey advocates sprinting (tabata) type workouts. However you view Furey's own fitness aside, his program does work if you do it.

It's good to be back from vacation. I spent a week in the mountains with my family. I took my Ironmind fabled cables with me and my running shoes. As much as I hate running, it was not so bad putting in three miles a day on the UUUP and DOWWWWN mountain trails. My cables let me work deadlifts, bicep curl, pullovers, tricep pulldowns, and overhead press. I found some big peices of Yosemite granite to clean and press too.

Whatever you do, at some level exercise shold be FUN. I used to ride my bike and enjoyed the penny taste in my mouth, the white spots and black lines in my eyes, and the numb and tingling arms and legs after a huge 30 minute climb.

Fitness ROCKS!!!

Gary
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 17:04   #15
LittleLebowski
Urban Achiever!

Call me crazy but isn't the very act of swimming resistance training? Have you ever tried swimming with paddles only? When swimming hard every day, I can't eat enough food, the fat just melts off me as well.
Old 08-14-2005, 17:48   #16
garythenuke

I've done paddles only, kick only, long fins, short fins, monofins, single arm front and back with and without paddles. I even pulled a crazy little drag chute with paddles only. I am not saying swimming is not a good exercise, it is. I am not saying it does not burn calories. One great thing is that your body has to work a little harder to keep heat up in the water when you start. SO you burn more caloris getting through the warm up stage. But it is not the most efficient calorie/fat burner out there. Anything you do for an hour or two a day will burn tons of flab. But some things burn more flab in a given amount of time than others.

gary
garythenuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 20:24   #17
Vic303

Try stair climbing...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Vic303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 23:57   #18
LittleLebowski
Urban Achiever!

Try an hour and half of Master's swimming.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:29   #19
DonGlock26

I like ellipticals at the gym and treadmill walking while watching TV at home. I figure, if I'm going to watch an hour of TV or sports in the PM, I might as well burn 324 calories. Works for me. Diet is my weak spot, but I've actually lost weight by having a high fiber Kashi go lean protein bar in the afternoon. It really allows me to eat a normal dinner and avoid snacking at night. My next goal is to get serious about building lean muscle in the gym.

Good Luck,

Don
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 13:00   #20
jacquejet

You might want to look at the Concept rowing machine. Go to
concept2.com and look at their product. This is the same machine that every rowing team in the US and most of the Olympic rowing teams use to train when out of the water. The workout is a great aerobic one but your muscles get a workout as well. The current model is the "D" and goes for $850 but the "C" model is little different (I use a "C") and can be had on ebay for around $600. There is a "B" as well and they are also good, but the C's and D's are much improved over the B-models and the A's.

Many of the health clubs and YMCA's have them if you want to try one out. Also, on their web site is a link (find a rower) to see if there is one in your local area.

There is no home vs institutional model. The machine is built to be used and used.
jacquejet is offline   Reply With Quote