Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-15-2005, 08:44   #1
Glockgirl26

Calorie counters

How accurate are the calorie counters on fitness machines? The reason I ask is because I do an hour of elliptical every morning at the gym. The machine I usually use tells me I burn about 500 calories. I used a different machine this morning that had me enter my weight (the one I usually use doesn't ask for weight). The machine I used today said I burned about 750 calories. Same smount of time, about the same resistance, same pace. So which is more accurate? That's a good bit of a difference.
Old 08-18-2005, 18:06   #2
Chevytuff19

How many calories you will actually burn depends on your metabolism, fitness level, etc. Those counters are just a "guestimate" of the actual calories that you are burning. You can use them to see the approximate number of calories you burned, but they are not very accurate.

Wes
Chevytuff19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 18:22   #3
MPG1737
Beer Me

I consume like a vacuum. I average about 5,000 calories a day. No joke. Sometimes more.

So calorie counting is kinda pointless, I just eat as much as my stomach will hold at any given time.

I also lift weights 5-6 days a week though.
Old 08-18-2005, 20:04   #4
mont86

In my experiences, all the machines read different for the same amount of time, resistance and distance. The one constant is the one that shows more cal or distance for a specific time gets the most use.
I have seen people wait for a treadmill to open up because 30 min.
on it is further then the one next to it.
mont86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 20:27   #5
MPG1737
Beer Me

I don't see how a calorie counter could be accurate. Everybody is different biochemically, and everyone has a different metabolism. It seems like a waste of time to me, but then again I am not on a weight loss plan.
Old 08-18-2005, 20:31   #6
UtahIrishman
BLR

The ones that ask you to enter your weight, age etc might be a bit more accurate than ones that don't. But even those I think are still only a guesstimate. Unless you are counting every single calorie of food that you eat I wouldn't worry about it.

----
UtahIrishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:22   #7
Glockgirl26

Thanks for the replies. I really don't count calories. I can feel the difference in my metabolism since I've been working out on a regular basis, I feel more energetic and my appetite has increased. I do some light weightlifting too, and am starting to see some definition in my arms and legs. So I guess I am burning more calories over all than I used to before I started working out regularly.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:49   #8
MPG1737
Beer Me

Quote:
Originally posted by Glockgirl26
Thanks for the replies. I really don't count calories. I can feel the difference in my metabolism since I've been working out on a regular basis, I feel more energetic and my appetite has increased. I do some light weightlifting too, and am starting to see some definition in my arms and legs. So I guess I am burning more calories over all than I used to before I started working out regularly.
It sounds like your on the right track. I think if you eat what your hungry for, and work out regularly you are going to be fit. You body tells you what it needs through appetite. When your very active you definetely should not be concerned about calorie intake so much. Once you start building lean muscle you naturally burn calories more rapidly. Just eat whatever sounds good (within reason), and you will be in good shape as long as you work your ass off.
Old 09-09-2005, 13:51   #9
mhill

Get one of the biometric watches. They measure heartrate and are somewhat accurate.

I don't know about your weight but I would guess an hour at a good pace would burn around 550-700 cal.

Take for instance if I bike or run at about the same effort level I use the same amount of calories. Which at 195lbs is 1hr at 15mph on the bike is 850 cal. 1 hour running at 6 min/mile is about 850 cal. If I take the measurement with my watch I get about the same result.

Good luck.