Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 08-19-2005, 19:29   #1
walangkatapat

The Ultimate Fighter

The second season starts Monday 22AUG in case you didn't know. Matt Hughes and Rich Franklin are the coaches this time around. I've seen Franklin fight and he seems to be a class act.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:45   #2
bcutrufelli

the first season was awesome
bcutrufelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:31   #3
walangkatapat

The first show of the second season two guys quit, Dana is pissed. One guy says he can't handle it mentally and the other couldn't take cutting the weight. There was a third, but he had to quit because of an injury.
Old 08-26-2005, 13:08   #4
pellertpale
ReMember

Send a message via AIM to pellertpale
Why did the first guy quit? I missed the first two days. I never watched it before, but it was amusing.
Big Dawg #3800
BladeRunner #970
F OPEC

Pass here, and go on. You are on the road to heaven. - Jack Kerouac
pellertpale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 14:00   #5
Jay S.

First guy quit because he wasn't getting a good "vibe". The cameras were freaking him out. In other words he was way out classed and over his head and realized it.
Jay S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 23:58   #6
walangkatapat

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay S.
First guy quit because he wasn't getting a good "vibe". The cameras were freaking him out. In other words he was way out classed and over his head and realized it.
That's exactly how one fighter put it. The other one that couldn't cut weight goes on to say how he would of beat all these guys after he quit.;Q
Old 08-29-2005, 10:17   #7
pellertpale
ReMember

Send a message via AIM to pellertpale
Quote:
Originally posted by walangkatapat
That's exactly how one fighter put it. The other one that couldn't cut weight goes on to say how he would of beat all these guys after he quit.;Q
Didn't he seem like a trailer park rat who wanted to fight everybody just so they would think he was tough. I can fight, but I can't lose 5 more lbs.? I'm no fighter, but at least I know it.
Big Dawg #3800
BladeRunner #970
F OPEC

Pass here, and go on. You are on the road to heaven. - Jack Kerouac
pellertpale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 09:25   #8
bcutrufelli

If you saw episode 2 the fight was ok I was suprised at how well Melvin did. He could use some more ground skills. I think that fight would have ended differently if the other guy would have stood up longer
Old 09-06-2005, 12:21   #9
bcutrufelli

episode 3 all i have to say is that the big guy should have lost the other guy was hurt badly but still could have won that fight
Old 09-07-2005, 21:50   #10
walangkatapat

Next weeks episode looks to be interesting.
Old 09-09-2005, 13:42   #11
mhill

Yep, I've called both of these fights. Lots of ego around. Not very smart sending your best guys in to get hurt in the first fight. Might have been better to take out some of the weeker links.

This week the big guy didn't seem to have much in skills. But Rob just let him put that triangle on him. He was just out of gas and had quit trying. I thought that Rob could have put some mean hammer fits or elbows to the gut if he would have tried. The desire wasn't there. If the big guy gains some skills he may become a force to be reconned with.

I'm looking forward to seeing crazy Luke fight. He looks way scrawny for that weight class. But he has some mental toughness that can go a long way in a fight. These fights are a combination of Mental toughness, skill, fitness, in that order of importance.

mhill
Old 09-14-2005, 00:42   #12
jeremy54b
Merely Here...

Kinda OT, but i found a bunch of UFC DVDs at Wally World, bought like 10 of them! Matt Hughes is one heckuva fighter, I just hope that they get a semi-grounded group this time so the training can be the more important part. I seem to remember lots of issues with the last group.
Sig P228...Finally!!!
S/P- 47NE-Abgl
jeremy54b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 20:11   #13
walangkatapat

Quote:
Originally posted by mhill
Yep, I've called both of these fights. Lots of ego around. Not very smart sending your best guys in to get hurt in the first fight. Might have been better to take out some of the weeker links.

This week the big guy didn't seem to have much in skills. But Rob just let him put that triangle on him. He was just out of gas and had quit trying. I thought that Rob could have put some mean hammer fits or elbows to the gut if he would have tried. The desire wasn't there. If the big guy gains some skills he may become a force to be reconned with.

I'm looking forward to seeing crazy Luke fight. He looks way scrawny for that weight class. But he has some mental toughness that can go a long way in a fight. These fights are a combination of Mental toughness, skill, fitness, in that order of importance.

mhill
The weaker link is Dana's philosophy and may be the coaches should start listening. I wasn't impressed at all with the first heavyweight fight and I'd like to see what Mike can do. It would be hilarious if Luke would pull it off.
Old 09-27-2005, 21:29   #14
walangkatapat

If you missed Monday's show you missed a good one. Should rerun some time this week.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:23   #15
mhill

It's Tivo'd I'm going to try to catch it tonight if possible.
Old 09-28-2005, 19:03   #16
walangkatapat

It's a good fight and you won't be disappointed. The only BS in this last episode was the challenge. Hughes team in the challenge was amazing!
Old 09-30-2005, 18:29   #17
FortyCaliber
10millimember

The fight was scrappy, but the best one yet for this season. I was especially pleased at the outcome, though.

I thought the challenge was BS, too. They should have gone head to head. While the Franklin forfeit was a great decision, I don't think forfeiting should be an option, although I am not sure how they could prevent someone from "throwing" a competition.

Did anyone notice that Matt Hughes is one intense dude? ;f

I think the lineup seems pretty weak. The only guy I've been impressed with so far is Joe Stevenson.
Pennsylvania Glockers #45
NRA Life / LEAA Life / GSSF
Justice for Police Officer Daniel Faulkner Home Page
FortyCaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 20:29   #18
gr81disp
Bushbot v1.0

Send a message via AIM to gr81disp
I think that even though Franklin showed intelligence, Hughes team just beat them down psychologically. You know Franklin's time is thinking, "Yeah, I could have beat that...couldn't I?"

If liberals interpreted the Second Amendment the way they interpret the rest of the Bill of Rights, there would be law professors arguing that gun ownership is mandatory.
gr81disp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:39   #19
walangkatapat

Dana should have made team Franklin at least attempt to beat Hughes team in the challenge. Why even have challenges if they are allowed to puss out? I was pleased with the out come of the fight too. It would be nice to see some good heavyweight action this coming show.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:13   #20
FortyCaliber
10millimember

I thought both the mud challenge and the heavyweight fight were both weak.

Matt Hughes as a coach went down a notch in my book because of his poor attitude before and after the Von Flue fight. He sat there and played solitaire while Von Flue was warming up and cooling down.

I understand Von Flue probably has the least ability on the team, but he put everything on the line for his team to beat the person that was thought to have the most ability on the other team.

Trading Von Flue was probably a good decision since he was pretty banged up, but Hughes didn't have to treat him like a second class citizen before and after the fight. The other Hughes teammates should have waited up for the guy to come home and celebrate with him.

I still don't see any world class fighters emerging from this group yet other than Stevenson.
Pennsylvania Glockers #45
NRA Life / LEAA Life / GSSF
Justice for Police Officer Daniel Faulkner Home Page
FortyCaliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:49   #21
walangkatapat

Quote:
Originally posted by FortyCaliber
I thought both the mud challenge and the heavyweight fight were both weak.

Matt Hughes as a coach went down a notch in my book because of his poor attitude before and after the Von Flue fight. He sat there and played solitaire while Von Flue was warming up and cooling down.

I understand Von Flue probably has the least ability on the team, but he put everything on the line for his team to beat the person that was thought to have the most ability on the other team.

Trading Von Flue was probably a good decision since he was pretty banged up, but Hughes didn't have to treat him like a second class citizen before and after the fight. The other Hughes teammates should have waited up for the guy to come home and celebrate with him.

I still don't see any world class fighters emerging from this group yet other than Stevenson.
I'm done watching those bogus ;0 challenges especially when one team is allowed to opt out. I agree with you about Hughes. Hughes is a coach that wants fighters to let it all hang out in the octagon, so what does Hughes do when Jason lets it all go, Hughes craps on him(as did his teammates). IMHO that was total disrespect for a team member that just beat the best fighter on the opposing team. I don't remember Hughes telling Jason what a great job he just did. No Class! Giving Jason away seemed like a low blow too, but he is pretty banged up, and I hope it comes back to haunt the Hughes team. At least the Franklin Team welcomed Jason to their side. Jason giving Matt both middle fingers was well deserved.
Old 10-09-2005, 10:55   #22
walangkatapat

Also Jason has by far the shortest biography on the Ultimate Fighter site: http://www.theultimatefighter.tv/bio...fighter&fid=45 Is this guy not liked or what? May be he's not pretty enough?
Old 10-09-2005, 21:34   #23
Skpotamus

Send a message via AIM to Skpotamus
Jason Van Flue was a replacement for Josh Burkman who broke his arm in the first fight.

I have lost some respect for Hughes. I mean damn, one of his heavyweights tears his shoulder apart in a fight, going into it he knew it was hurt, as did the doctors. I admit, I thought he was just whining and thinking he was going ot lose, but afterwrds they showed the not of torn muscle adn Hughes even mentioned it. What kinda heart does Hughes want the guys to have? This guy tore his arm up fighting and Hughes treats him like ****.

Hughes bashing Rashad Evans for his fighting style, while encouragin Joe Stevenson and Mike Whitehead to taunt Jorge Gurgel during a challenge was also pretty bogus.

Then, Hughes doesn't even give a **** about the fighter that just knocked the best fighter out of Team Franklin. What the hell is wrong with him? Even if you don;t like him, give him props for beating the #1 pick on the other team.

BTw, my pick for the final fight is Joe Stevenson vs Sammie morgan. For those of you that don't know, Morgan is a good grappler (he's tapped Pride fighters) as well as coming off of a KO over a world class kickboxer (Duane Ludwig).
Skpotamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 22:24   #24
walangkatapat

Luke vs Anthony was a good fight, but IMHO it was lopsided 30- 27 for Luke. Where one judge came up with 29-28 for Luke I don't get it. Luke showed good elbow strikes, knees, and good offense while on his back no less. Dana had this one right about Luke, Luke is the nerd that beats you up and then you can't hang with your friends anymore. LOL! I'm wondering about the heavyweight fight next week it sounds like it's going to be an upset. At least this fight Hughes didn't say if he didn't care if his fighter lost this time.;Q
Old 10-10-2005, 22:49   #25
Jay S.

I'm curious to see next weeks fight. In the preview, Dana kinda looked pissed. I wonder if one of the heavyweights didn't give 100% or gave up?
Jay S. is offline   Reply With Quote