Home Forums Classifieds GT Store Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups


Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2005, 17:55   #1
Senior Member
Glkster19's Avatar
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Lansing, MI
Posts: 1,597

Printer question

For all you photographers out there.....

I want a new printer. What do you use to print your digital pics? Pics will mostly be of family and fire/EMS scenes. Currently I have an HP Deskjet 3820, while it prints okay for a cheap printer, I think I want to get a better photo printer. As far as what I want to spend, I'm looking at under $400-500. These are the models I've been considering and researching:

From HP--Photosmart 8420 and 8720
From Cannon--i9900
From Epson--Stylus R800 and R1800

Anybody have experience with these? Do the 8 and 9 color printers really make a big difference as they claim?

Any and all input appreciated.

Glkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:32   #2
Senior Member
Zeker's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Northern Va
Posts: 280
I am currently using a Canon i9900 and have been thrilled with the quality. After I got the 8.2 megapixel 20D I bought the i9900 specifically for the ability to make larger prints (up to 13" X 19"). Print quality is superior to my old Epsom 785 EPX.

Check this site for specs.




Hk45c, P30, P2000 sk et al.

The Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
Zeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 19:07   #3
Senior Member
Eagle78101's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 221
I've got a question, too

I have an HP photo printer that prints directly from the camera card. But I'm looking for a way to connect it to the computer, so I can print pictures stored on my hard drive. Is there a way to do this? Supposedly, you can do it via a USB 2.0 cord, but the cord doesn't fit the connection on the printer. Ideas, anybody?
Eagle78101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:10   #4
Glock Bob
Snack Attack!!!
Glock Bob's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,076
There are two types of connectors for USB: A and B. USB A looks like this:

Through-the-Lens Club

and USB B looks like this:

Through-the-Lens Club

Of course the connections on a device will differ slightly in that they are designed to accept the respective connector to plug into them. However, you get the idea of what the connections on your device should look like. In addition to these some devices use a much smaller connection called a 4-pin Mini B. These are mostly found on digital cameras and cell phones. I assume your printer has one of these. Any office supply or consumer electronics store should carry them. Staples carries them. However, USB cables are not cheap, so be prepared to spend $20 or more on one.
In memory of Christopher James Roy, killed in action, November 28, 2005, and Eric Harless, taken by cancer April 29, 2006. We hardly knew you. May you each rest in peace.

Last edited by Glock Bob; 08-30-2005 at 09:12..
Glock Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 08:45   #5
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: right here
Posts: 2,477
I only use Epson printers for my photo work. No matter what brand you pick, be sure to stick with that brand's paper/
hatidua is offline   Reply With Quote


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17.

GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
GT Store

Users Currently Online: 832
230 Members
602 Guests

Most users ever online: 4,867
May 19, 2015 at 1:03